It never hurts to ask, HAL upgrade/upsell after final payment

Fog123

We paid in full a couple of weeks ago for our July 2nd cruise on the Volendam for a BC7082 suite. We noticed that the price had dropped by $100 pp last week. Not a lot of money but we thought we'd check with the TA to see what we could get. They offered us an upgrade to the aft B7088 suite for $32 per person. It's a

larger balcony and larger room. Our traveling partners took the other aft cabin.

The rooms are wheelchair accessible, so I feel a bit guilty about potentially taking that away from someone who needs it, but our TA reassured us that we're doing nothing wrong as anyone who really wanted or needed the cabin would have booked it sooner to ensure that they got it. We did confirm that Holland knew we weren't mobility challenged so we weren't hiding anything. But we were on file as saying we would consider an upgrade to that room in particular only after it was released to everyone.

Thanks so much to everyone here. I would have assumed that nothing could be done after paying in full and I fully expected that to be the case here. We're pleasantly surprised and very happy.

Our other alternative was to accept a $16 per room OBC. Not a very difficult choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree that it never hurts to ask after final payment. Every time I see a price drop I'm on the phone with HAL. Sometimes they offer OBC or an upgrade, sometimes they tell you that the promotion you're asking about is only for new bookings (like a $50 beverage card).

If you are really lucky you can find yourself being upgraded MANY categories from your original booking and getting some OBC to boot.

I agree that if you don't even ask for something, you will wonder and regret not asking. Especially when you read here after the fact what others might have been offered. :D

Sounds like you did well. Congrats. Yes, if a handicapped person needed it they would have likely booked by now. Have a great cruise.

Not necessarily, I know my parents have sometimes picked up a last minute cruise when they decide they need to get away and do require a handicap cabin.

If you booked through a TA, I believe, all of the negotiating has to go through the TA. I've only dealt directly with the cruise line, but when you call they ask if the reservation was made with a TA so I assume it has a significance.

we booked by phone with HAL. Last night they said all unobstructed views were booked but we are definitely on the up gradable list.

Also asked about the beverage card but since we have ~125/OBC which would be lost, the card wasn't worth it. The customer service person mentioned to Mary that there would be some kind of "special" purchasing the card once we checked in. She didn't question what kind of special or what card - so now I'm curious....typically the card is a straightforward purchase from what I"ve read,. but what the heck - in 59 days I'll know, while I'm indulging in the drink of the day!!!

Edited by Mytime2014

Hey, I'm glad they did the upgrade. In fact I just asked for it because our room came down price $ 300.00 per person, but they told us we could upgrade but we would loose our EXPLORE 4 deal which was given last year which includes SIGNATURE BEVERAGE PACKAGE. so, I hope by the day we hop in they re-consider and let us do an upgrade without loosing what we were offered when we payed last year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

we booked by phone with HAL. Last night they said all unobstructed views were booked but we are definitely on the up gradable list.

Also asked about the beverage card but since we have ~125/OBC which would be lost, the card wasn't worth it. The customer service person mentioned to Mary that there would be some kind of "special" purchasing the card once we checked in. She didn't question what kind of special or what card - so now I'm curious....typically the card is a straightforward purchase from what I"ve read,. but what the heck - in 59 days I'll know, while I'm indulging in the drink of the day!!!

I'm wondering if they meant the beverage value card, where you pay $25 but you get $50 worth of soda. You can also buy that online through the HAL website.

I'm wondering if they meant the beverage value card, where you pay $25 but you get $50 worth of soda. You can also buy that online through the HAL website.

Buckett - that's what I thought - but she isn't familiar with the different cards however, she is primary on the booking so they won't talk to me....

I've made a point of reading everything possible, exploring the deck plans in my head - I think I'm going to get on as a newbie but with a pretty darn good idea of what's what. Thanks to this forum and CC members

This discussion is happening at an opportune time as I'm contemplating booking the Maasdam for a Canada & New England sailing for June 2015. (i.e. I've decided that's the ideal itinerary, I just haven't booked yet.)

I was considering booking through a TA, as they are all offering a $200 deposit rather than the customary $700. As I've got time to pay and other cruises pay off first, I'd like to take advantage of the offer. But I didn't consider that a TA wouldn't be as flexible as HAL regarding the honoring of price decreases. Is it a general rule that TAs are not as likely to honor the new, lower price? If that's the case, I'll wait and book directly through HAL.

Thanks for the input. :)

Cruiser Bruiser, I think it depends on the TA and how much they're willing to push. Ours knows the system and she's been fantastic. Her underlings not so much. I've been watching these discussions for a while now and I've seen it go both ways.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This discussion is happening at an opportune time as I'm contemplating booking the Maasdam for a Canada & New England sailing for June 2015. (i.e. I've decided that's the ideal itinerary, I just haven't booked yet.)

I was considering booking through a TA, as they are all offering a $200 deposit rather than the customary $700. As I've got time to pay and other cruises pay off first, I'd like to take advantage of the offer. But I didn't consider that a TA wouldn't be as flexible as HAL regarding the honoring of price decreases. Is it a general rule that TAs are not as likely to honor the new, lower price? If that's the case, I'll wait and book directly through HAL.

Thanks for the input. :)

I agree with Fog 123. It really depends on how hard your TA works for you. Many years back, I had a TA that wasn't worth a wooden nickel. I had to fight for everything myself. There are many great TA's many of us on these boards use. However, we can't mention who they are as it is against the rules and for good reasons.

Diane

DH requires a HC accessible cabin and we almost always book way ahead.

It makes no sense to wait with the small inventory of accessible cabins.

We have no problem with HAL putting HC cabins back into the general inventory after final payment. It makes good business sense.

If we were to try to book a cruise last minute, we would do so with the understanding that HC cabins may not be available and we would be out of luck.

I made two changes (increased cost both times) to my cabin category on my upcoming cruise, after final pmt. Someone at HAL said they will always let you spend more money, even after final pmt ;)

So you'd think. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade from an ov to a balcony for $700. Hal said no dice. Both my ta and I fought them until they agreed.

We got a great upgrade after final payment in Dec 2012 on the Westerdam. We had booked and paid for an SY. After final payment, I always check periodically online for price drops. They had a Neptune Suite (5191) aft wrap balcony available for cheaper than we paid for an SY! So we had our travel agent call them right away and we got it at no extra charge. It was a wonderful upgrade....

Once on RCCL we got upgraded after final payment without asking, to an accessible cabin. I presume it was because it was not needed. It was a lovely balcony cabin with loads of additional space...........

So you'd think. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade from an ov to a balcony for $700. Hal said no dice. Both my ta and I fought them until they agreed.

Wow that is just crazy that you'd have to fight to give them your money :( I believe you, I just think it is ridiculous that they'd turn away someone who wanted to spend :eek:

Wow that is just crazy that you'd have to fight to give them your money :( I believe you, I just think it is ridiculous that they'd turn away someone who wanted to spend :eek:

Totally agree. I couldn't believe it.