Rome excursions

solostar

Hi there, can anyone give me some prices for P&O excursions to Rome ? Don,t think I am brave enough to diy, too much stress involved getting back to ship in time, but would like to compare prices with local companies. Thanks for any help.

We went the last two weeks and they were between £50 and £60 per person. We were going to make our own way, but it clashed with the weekend of canonising two popes and an extra 5 million people descended on Rome, so we thought better of it. Our guide was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

THanks for reply James 80. Which one did you go on ?

Hi Maisie Moo, we would like to do a sightseeing tour of the major sites, and maybe have a couple of hours to wander around, we have seen a couple of private tours that do this.

We did Roam around Rome. Saw basilica, trevi fountain, Spanish steps, pantheon but not colosseum. Although we had 1 hour 15 for lunch and could have walked and seen it in that time.

We are going next Wednesday on Ventura and have chosen to do 'Rome on Your Own' excursion. We have chosen this as we were concerned about getting back to the port on time with the Italian trains not necessarily running on time! The drive to Rome can take between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 hours so bear that in mind when you arrange your day.

The train to Rome is approx £10 and that includes the Metro. We've caught trains to Rome, Pompeii, Florence and Sorrento with no problems. In our experience the trains leave and arrive exactly at the times on the timetable. I was nervous the first time but we allowed time to catch a later train if we missed the earlier one if you understand what I mean.

Thanks Davedex i will check them out.

Hi Supergran, I have looked into going on the train, just a bit wary of being late getting back. When we were in Athens we took the ships shuttle into the city. There was a strike, no warning, and the whole place was grid locked, luckily the ship waited for the shuttle. It is at the back of my mind that it could happen again!

We visited Rome last October for the 1st time & used this company & had a brilliant tour. Much cheaper than the ship tours (we were with Princess but same idea). We got our Vatican museum tickets from them too, our guide took us straight in past a huge queue.

We also used them for a visit to Pisa & Florence.

Would definitely use them again.:):)

We previously did a ship tour to Rome and so glad we did. We were over 3 hours late getting back to the ship (it was about 10.30pm when we set foot back on board!) mainly due to the horrendous traffic jams, but the ship waited for us. We would have been so stressed if we'd done this independently, and this is when the ship tours are worth it IMHO.

Thats exactly what i am afraid of Homelessbear, I think I would rather have the peace of mind. But i think the company that Fue Fue mentioned guarantees to get you back to your ship in time. So it will depend on price! Thanks for your help. As I am not going till next year I can,t see any prices for P&O excursions , so if anybody can provide me with this years prices I would be grateful.

Thats exactly what i am afraid of Homelessbear, I think I would rather have the peace of mind. But i think the company that Fue Fue mentioned guarantees to get you back to your ship in time. So it will depend on price! Thanks for your help. As I am not going till next year I can,t see any prices for P&O excursions , so if anybody can provide me with this years prices I would be grateful.

If you are still thinking of the train be aware that they, the port authorities have changed the drop off point. It is now at least half a mile further away from the railway station. Must be new as it took the staff on Azura by surprise.

There are taxis there but they only want to take you to Rome

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

We are looking at doing the tour of Rome through p and o for 9 1/2 hours for £50 but was wondering has anybody on here done it to tell me how much walking involved as thinking of my 74 year old dad who's coming with us ???

Just back from Ventura Venice to Genoa cruise... We did Rome independently on the train with absolutely no problems. Free shuttle bus from ship to port bus park in town, then local bus for 5 min trip to station (cost 80 cents). Ticket to Rome purchased from ticket machine which spoke English (5 Euros each way). 45 minutes later get off at St Peters station for a 5 minute walk to the Vatican then spent all day walking through the sites of Rome heading for the Ostiense Station for the return train journey... Then walked back from train station to the shuttle bus which took 20 mins. Trains were regular and on time.

The buses for the 'official' P&O trips were taking over two hours to make the journey...

p.s. P&O have a new trip for 'Rome by train' (special charter train to Rome and time to wander round on your own) which cost £46 pp!!!

Just back from Ventura Venice to Genoa cruise... We did Rome independently on the train with absolutely no problems. Free shuttle bus from ship to port bus park in town, then local bus for 5 min trip to station (cost 80 cents). Ticket to Rome purchased from ticket machine which spoke English (5 Euros each way). 45 minutes later get off at St Peters station for a 5 minute walk to the Vatican then spent all day walking through the sites of Rome heading for the Ostiense Station for the return train journey... Then walked back from train station to the shuttle bus which took 20 mins. Trains were regular and on time.

The buses for the 'official' P&O trips were taking over two hours to make the journey...

p.s. P&O have a new trip for 'Rome by train' (special charter train to Rome and time to wander round on your own) which cost £46 pp!!!

When we were there the 'local' bus failed to turn up. Cruisers at the end of their Costa cruise had to walk to the station with their cases as the taxis would not take them.

Gan Canny

Dai

You made the journey sound so easy, Boalua, and so much quicker, I am re-thinking!! Did you get return ticketson the outward journey or did you buy the return ticket at Ostience station ? And at about what time did you head back ?

Yes we bought return tickets to Rome termini but en route after advice from a local chap we got off at the St Pietro for the Vatican... there are no ticket barriers at the stations BUT remember to validate your ticket (little machine before you reach the platform) before you get on a train else you may face a fine if an inspector bothers to check your ticket.

We caught the 08:44 train to Rome and the 14:43 train back - we were back on the ship by 16:00hrs after walking back from Civitavecchia station to the port shuttle (the ship sailed at 19:00hrs) - so a later train was easily possible but we were done with walking by then!!!

PS if you are visiting Kotor then there is a way to the fort at the top of the hill which avoids the main 1340 steps....

We have visited Kotor before and are looking forward to going there again, it is beautiful. My husband started to climb the steps but it was so hot he had to abandon the journey ! So an alternative way to get to the top sounds interesting. Could you tell me what sites you visited in Rome, I would like to see St Peters, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain ,The Colliseum and anything else on the way! Are they very far apart?

After entering the Kotor old town main gate head for the far left corner and the north gate, exit over a river into a semi industrial looking area - once over the river turn immediately right follow the road past a bakery for a short distance and then follow a small path straight ahead along a wire fence where the road bends to the left. This is the donkey path and has no steps, reasonably gentle gradient but lots of switch backs - once you reach a house turn off the main path veering to right which leads to the the old church and then rejoins main path for final few steps to the top. Took us about 30 mins to reach top.

Look on google maps and this path is very clear and this way is not only a lot easier it also avoids the entrance fee...