panama canal experience

susie2461

hi, we have seen this cruise being offered for 2015, we have always wanted to sail the panama canal but one way flights are very expensive from the uk as we would have to fly to san franscisco then fly home from miami, but we have found the panama experience which sails from miami and back to miami, we are just not sure what this means, would we still cruise through the canal then turn round and cruise back to maimi, sorry to sound so stupid but we have only cruised transatlantics before, thanks for any advice

We just did the partial (not on NCL but they are all the same pretty much). We left and returned to FLL, just like you would to Miami. You go thru the first set of locks on the ship. Then the ship goes to Gatun Lake and anchors. You can then disembark on an "ship excursion" only and take a smaller ferry boat all the way to the Pacific, awesome experience. It's a long day but should be done at least once! You meet the ship back in Colon around 6pm (meanwhile those who stay on the ship go back thru the same set of locks to Colon). The other ports we stopped at were Costa Rica, Cartagena, Aruba & Grand Cayman. Of course this varies with the different voyages and cruise lines.

If It's only a partial I would stick to that to save on the pocket book. The experience will be pretty close to the full transit.

Or you could spend time say 3 days in the amazing city of San Francisco then your flight to Miami is no more than $150 to $200 max. pp

We just did the partial (not on NCL but they are all the same pretty much). We left and returned to FLL, just like you would to Miami. You go thru the first set of locks on the ship. Then the ship goes to Gatun Lake and anchors. You can then disembark on an "ship excursion" only and take a smaller ferry boat all the way to the Pacific, awesome experience. It's a long day but should be done at least once! You meet the ship back in Colon around 6pm (meanwhile those who stay on the ship go back thru the same set of locks to Colon). The other ports we stopped at were Costa Rica, Cartagena, Aruba & Grand Cayman. Of course this varies with the different voyages and cruise lines.

I saw that the Pearl was going to begin this type of PC cruise in 2015. We've done the complete PC cruise twice. But this might be an interesting way to see the PC a bit cheaper and not have as many days cruising. Did you take the train back across to Colon after the ferry into the Pacific?

OP: We're going, possibly on the cruise you're looking at, Dec 2015. I've been looking at Panama Canal and was happy to see NCL finally offering the shorter partial transit mostly because of the time commitment with the full transit.

We wanted to sail on NCL due to having a FCC that needs using up.

I have a friend who's been on a couple of partial PC's on a different line and really enjoyed the experience.

Edited by srlafleur

thank you all for your replies, nice to see we have a choice between NCL and Princess, although princess does not have prices for nov 2015 yet, we have done 3 transatlantics now so this would make a lovely change, thanks again

I saw that the Pearl was going to begin this type of PC cruise in 2015. Did you take the train back across to Colon after the ferry into the Pacific?

We were on a Princess excursion & the return was via bus ( new & very comfortable).

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

While I'm about to do the full transit this October on the Pearl, am considering this itinerary ion Dec 2015 as well. It would be an opportunity to see the Atlantic (caribbean side) locks from the opposite direction plus see a few new ports that would be new to me. The additional benefit is being able to either drive to or fly roundterip to/from Miami versus the multi- leg flights between the West and East coast.

I am booked on a Cruise that does not even show on the NCL site yet.....Its an 11 Day Pearl Panama Partial (Roundtrip Miami) that sails Nov 8th - Nov 19th. My DW and I, and another have the two Deck 10 Aft Balconies. This will be our first Aft balcony and our first cruise over 9 days. We are VERY VERY excited.

I am getting a little stressed out that the trip date is not yet on the NCL site, but the week after (same Itinerary) is showing. Is this normal?

Either way it seems like it will be an amazing trip, and we are VERY much looking forward to it.

6&8

thank you all for your replies, nice to see we have a choice between NCL and Princess, although princess does not have prices for nov 2015 yet, we have done 3 transatlantics now so this would make a lovely change, thanks again

Princess and Holland America both sail out of Fort Lauderdale on a 10 or 11 night partial transit itinerary. We were on HAL Zuiderdam on this cruise three years ago and loved it! We took a ferry through the canal to the Pacific, then a bus back to the ship at Colon.

I am booked on a Cruise that does not even show on the NCL site yet.....Its an 11 Day Pearl Panama Partial (Roundtrip Miami) that sails Nov 8th - Nov 19th. My DW and I, and another have the two Deck 10 Aft Balconies. This will be our first Aft balcony and our first cruise over 9 days. We are VERY VERY excited.

I am getting a little stressed out that the trip date is not yet on the NCL site, but the week after (same Itinerary) is showing. Is this normal?

Either way it seems like it will be an amazing trip, and we are VERY much looking forward to it.

6&8

HAHA, so.....I will respond to my own post and answer my own question because I just got a call from NCL and this might be helpful to someone else.

I was booked on a Nov. 8th - 19th 2015 11 Day Panama Cruise on the Pearl. I had a completed reservation as well as having completed my online check in in My NCL. I have been searching for the cruise on the NCL site and it has not been showing up. I still had a valid reservation so I though it was odd, but nothing more. I just got a call from NCL and the Pearl was "either chartered or scheduled for Dry Dock" that week and my trip was canceled.

We were able to switch to an October 18th sailing and luckily the two deck 10 afts were available on that trip.

So, if you ever search your cruise and it does not show on the NCL site CALL THEM. Do not do what I did and wait to see what happens. Lesson learned, and fortunately the only real change is I get to cruise a week early.

Sorry for jacking the thread.

6&8

HAHA, so.....I will respond to my own post and answer my own question because I just got a call from NCL and this might be helpful to someone else.

I was booked on a Nov. 8th - 19th 2015 11 Day Panama Cruise on the Pearl. I had a completed reservation as well as having completed my online check in in My NCL. I have been searching for the cruise on the NCL site and it has not been showing up. I still had a valid reservation so I though it was odd, but nothing more. I just got a call from NCL and the Pearl was "either chartered or scheduled for Dry Dock" that week and my trip was canceled.

We were able to switch to an October 18th sailing and luckily the two deck 10 afts were available on that trip.

So, if you ever search your cruise and it does not show on the NCL site CALL THEM. Do not do what I did and wait to see what happens. Lesson learned, and fortunately the only real change is I get to cruise a week early.

6&8

sixesandeights, I may be in your same "boat". I am booked on the Pearl for the 11/30/15 sail date which is a 10 day PC partial transit with a stop in Aruba . I booked 2-3 weeks ago. The cruise was on the website for a day or two and then they took it down. Today, it's back up but the only sailing available is in March 2016, same ports with the exception of Aruba.

I e-mailed my TA to see what she can find out. I suppose I could switch to the 11 day in October but was really looking forward to Aruba.

Edited by Marieux

OP: We're going, possibly on the cruise you're looking at, Dec 2015. I've been looking at Panama Canal and was happy to see NCL finally offering the shorter partial transit mostly because of the time commitment with the full transit.

We wanted to sail on NCL due to having a FCC that needs using up.

I have a friend who's been on a couple of partial PC's on a different line and really enjoyed the experience.

The one over Christmas? We are looking at that. I'm desperately trying to convince the family .... great ports!

sixesandeights, I may be in your same "boat". I am booked on the Pearl for the 11/30/15 sail date which is a 10 day PC partial transit with a stop in Aruba . I booked 2-3 weeks ago. The cruise was on the website for a day or two and then they took it down. Today, it's back up but the only sailing available is in March 2016, same ports with the exception of Aruba.

I e-mailed my TA to see what she can find out. I suppose I could switch to the 11 day in October but was really looking forward to Aruba.

That's the sailing we are looking at ... it's over Christmas 2015 or March 2016.

I just got a call from NCL and the Pearl was "either chartered or scheduled for Dry Dock" that week and my trip was canceled.

6&8

This happens with the Pearl - it is chartered out frequently. That is why we have avoided her. I hate being disappointed ! :eek:

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

6&8

oh dear thats not good, but glad you got sorted in the end, makes me a bit worried about booking if they do this often, think we will also look at princess and others just to see what else we can find,

We did the partial transit on HAL a few years back. That was one of our favorite cruises. Seeing the workings of the canal and all.

We then anchored for the day in Gatun Lake. Then late afternoon docked in Colon (Atlantic side). Some folks did excursions from tenders in Gatun Lake. We stayed aboard for a relaxing day watching many ships pass through the canal. We got off in Colon and walked around a bit. Sketchy neigborhood, keep hold of your wallets and purses.

From my understanding, some full transits do not stop at all in Panama. So if you want to see more of the place, just be sure it is one of the cruises that do. I see those sometimes dock on the Pacific side.

I one day intend to do the full transit.

The one over Christmas? We are looking at that. I'm desperately trying to convince the family .... great ports!

We're going right before that one. It's an 11 day for a lower price. (Go figure!)

Edited by srlafleur

we are torn between the 19th nov on the pearl or celebrity equinox 30th nov, the balcony cabins are a lot cheaper on celebrity but we are a bit worried about the age group on celebrity, we are not party animals but would like entertainment and pearl seems to have more to offer us, also a bit worried about the ages that will be onboard celebrity as it seems they are older people, we where worried about princess for the same reason, we are not that young ourselves being 53 and 48 lol, but when you read the average age group is over 70 we are a bit worried,

we are torn between the 19th nov on the pearl or celebrity equinox 30th nov, the balcony cabins are a lot cheaper on celebrity but we are a bit worried about the age group on celebrity, we are not party animals but would like entertainment and pearl seems to have more to offer us, also a bit worried about the ages that will be onboard celebrity as it seems they are older people, we where worried about princess for the same reason, we are not that young ourselves being 53 and 48 lol, but when you read the average age group is over 70 we are a bit worried,

pearl, pearl, pearl!!. Nov 19. DH'll be 55, I'll be 51.

Edited by mdvlprof