Help! Decisions! Balcony to OV?

b4cruze

Last year we booked a 10th floor Balcony forward room on the Liberty for our June family cruise. Right now if I change to OV I could save $630 on final payment (and that is after the $150 penalty for changing rooms). Why change? I'm a little nervous being up so high on the ship that I will feel too much movement and the price reduction on OV is pretty significant. We had a cove balcony last year on the Breeze. We loved it but didn't spend an enormous amount of time there...mostly breakfast, leaving port etc. Am I crazy for thinking of changing? Need to make final payment in two days.. Help! Is the price savings enough to go down to Main floor? Anyone love a balcony on the 10th floor?

I would not give up my balcony, but we spend a lot of time on it.

If you'd be happy with 4 in an OV, go ahead and change it. That's a big chunk of change.

Be warned, if you do try to change to the OV, call the PVP department and save yourself some frustration. I wanted to switch my OV to an Inside French Door and the 1-888 agent refused to do it because it's considered a downgrade. I hung up on him (okay, I know it was rude of me but I was so frustrated going around and around with him.) and contacted the generic PVP department and a woman named Ashley helped me out.

To answer your question though... $630 is a lot of money to save. That balcony is nice when you have that many people sharing a room but, $630...I would switch and use that money to have a little more fun in the ports. :)

We seldom use our balcony but absolutely want to have one so we can step directly outside from our cabin anytime we please.

When DH had Noro, I would have had big time cabin fever had we not had a balcony. ;)

LuLu

We seldom use our balcony but absolutely want to have one so we can step directly outside from our cabin anytime we please.

When DH had Noro, I would have had big time cabin fever had we not had a balcony. ;)

LuLu

Good point! Really good point!

Last year we booked a 10th floor Balcony forward room on the Liberty for our June family cruise. Right now if I change to OV I could save $630 on final payment (and that is after the $150 penalty for changing rooms). Why change? I'm a little nervous being up so high on the ship that I will feel too much movement and the price reduction on OV is pretty significant. We had a cove balcony last year on the Breeze. We loved it but didn't spend an enormous amount of time there...mostly breakfast, leaving port etc. Am I crazy for thinking of changing? Need to make final payment in two days.. Help! Is the price savings enough to go down to Main floor? Anyone love a balcony on the 10th floor?

Not crazy AT ALL! I would totally do it! YOu could have so much fun with the $$ saved! No brainer to me :)

First two cruises had premium balcony on the Pride. Bigger room, bigger balcony. Third criuse had an aft balcony on 8 on the Valor. This time money is an issue so we are booking an interior with french doors. We never spent a LOT of time on the balcony. Maybe leaving port, or early in the morning have a look around, but we really didn't sit and drink or eat there. I think we will be fine because we not only have a window, but doors that open for that sea air. Which brings me to your question. I would downgrade to the OV and use the money for something else.

I love having a balcony but very rarely get one unless I find a really good deal. I cannot justify the difference in price and what each hour on the balcony costs me.. I admit, I'm a cheapo !! If you spend and average of. 2 hrs daily on your balcony that costs $630 more it is costing you $45 an hour. 3 hrs daily $30 an hour. I can sit out on a quiet public deck for free. Only you know how much that balcony is worth to you . Have a great cruise !

If you don't really use the balcony and it would save so much, I say go for it! My DH and I had one on our last cruise, deck 10. We didn't feel the movement any worse than on any other cruise and we used the balcony waaaay more than I ever expected we would. Even so, saving more than $600 would probably talk me out of another one ;)

I would change if possible and save that money. If you're booked early saver, they won't allow it though. Hopefully you're not.

LuLu

I don't live on a balcony either, but there sure are some mental benefits to having the availability at hand. If it is a burden, I'd go OV rather than not go.

I think the change is a downgrade, and frowned on. Wouldn't you have to cancel and rebook?

I wouldn't cruise without a balcony, and love being that high up on the ship.... you're so much closer to the lido deck.

I'm one that will spend a lot of time on the balcony just reading or hanging out though.

We usually stay on Deck 10 or 11 in a balcony room and love it. Could not imagine staying anywhere else on the ship. This year we are cruising at a peak season rate, and due to the hugh difference in price we have opted to get a 4J cabin - it is an interior room rate with an obstructed ocean view window which looks over the front of the ship. There is a door just outside of our room to access a public deck. I understand where you are coming from as we are apprehensive about our decision. But the $$'s saved will be really great to use while on the cruise. Please let us know what you decide and what the outcome is.

We usually have a balcony but did a short 5 day in an OV liked it so much that when we did 28 days on the Sunshine from Venice to New Orleans we absolutely loved it. Cabin 2170. The cash we saved was a plus for taking side trips. We won't ever let the price of balcony vs OV stop us. We will take whatever.

Sounds like you wouldn't miss a balcony so I'd say go for it. Me, I'm hooked on balconies and I don't think I could be locked up in a room for 7 days without one. I'd rather spend time in my own personal space than public areas with music blasting and hairy chest contests.

I love having a balcony but very rarely get one unless I find a really good deal. I cannot justify the difference in price and what each hour on the balcony costs me.. I admit, I'm a cheapo !! If you spend and average of. 2 hrs daily on your balcony that costs $630 more it is costing you $45 an hour. 3 hrs daily $30 an hour. I can sit out on a quiet public deck for free. Only you know how much that balcony is worth to you . Have a great cruise !

This lady has a good point...for that price you might want to think about downgrading!

Hmm. I went the other way! I had an OV on deck 1 booked for our upcoming cruise, and I've only had balconies before. I get motion sickness pretty easily. I started getting really worried about not being able to step out quickly for fresh air so I called to upgrade. Now we will be on deck 10 with a balcony. I feel much better about it now. It's all about what is important for you to get the best experience on your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First two cruises had premium balcony on the Pride. Bigger room, bigger balcony. Third criuse had an aft balcony on 8 on the Valor. This time money is an issue so we are booking an interior with french doors. We never spent a LOT of time on the balcony. Maybe leaving port, or early in the morning have a look around, but we really didn't sit and drink or eat there. I think we will be fine because we not only have a window, but doors that open for that sea air. Which brings me to your question. I would downgrade to the OV and use the money for something else.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is an interior French Door cabin? Where do I find this/which ships/class/category? Is it a different price from a standard interior?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

If you are booked early saver, they will not let you downgrade to a OV from a Balcony, I even think they will not let you go down a deck, even if its to another balcony, as they consider this a downgrade also. I would call, do you have a PVP?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is an interior French Door cabin? Where do I find this/which ships/class/category? Is it a different price from a standard interior?

These cabins are on Spirit class ships (Pride, Miracle, Legend) and are category 4k. It's a bit more expensive than standard interior, but cheaper than OV and Balcony.

Definitely a great bargain, light, fresh air, and a bit of a view if you can get one between the lifeboats. We had 4140 on Legend and would recommend it. :)

Jenn

These cabins are on Spirit class ships (Pride, Miracle, Legend) and are category 4k. It's a bit more expensive than standard interior, but cheaper than OV and Balcony.

Definitely a great bargain, light, fresh air, and a bit of a view if you can get one between the lifeboats. We had 4140 on Legend and would recommend it. :)

Jenn

Thank you Jenn!

Edited by sjb.illinois