Gaugin vs windstar

Meggiemotu

This will be our 2nd cruise - Star Pride sept 15 - 9 days istanbul - Athens . A bit anxious because our cruise on PG in sept was spectacular and that was a first cruise for us landlubbers. Anyone know how WIndstar compares? I know SP just had her maiden voyage after the refurbish - but we are going from balcony to Non - because they were French style - can't even sit out, just a stand up balcony. Now wondering of Ocean view is fine - all the 2nd guessing, etc. help, will be going to Istanbul for 4 full pre days on our own. Thanks !!!

Have not been on the PG, so can't really offer a comparison there.

Prior to our first sailing on the Wind Spirit, I was a confirmed balcony cruiser on the larger ships. I was a little unsure how I would feel without "my balcony", but I have to say I haven't really missed it - especially, on the more port intensive itineraries like Istanbul-Athens. Really, the only time I have missed it was in the morning - I used to like to have a cup of coffee sitting on the balcony in my bathrobe!

However, for me, that is a very small thing to give up in return for the rest of the overall wonderful experiences sailing with Windstar.

Having been on the Windsong in Tahiti its last year, PG two years ago, and the Windspirit in Nov/Dec last year, I felt the Windstar ship's service was definitely superior to that of the PG. We did appreciate the naturalist on the PG esp when we visited the Marquises. Looking forward to the redecorated ships when next we cruise which will be our 10th on Windstar, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on PG for our honeymoon... we'll never sail her again! Out of every ship we've sailed on, that is the one we don't recommend to anyone. We sailed her in 2007 after her remodel.

We've sailed Windstar (after the remodel) in the Caribbean and would love to sail with them in Tahiti.

The majority over here are loyal to Windstar, on the PG forum there are many loyal fans as well.

Loyalty is a good thing ;)

I was thinking of booking a trip to Tahiti on Windstar just so I could compare but there are some large price differences. PG was already getting high for us but Windstar seems to be even higher. As a new cruiser on this line it would appear a week in FP including airfare for the cheapest cabin during the low season would be about $4800 pp.

On the PG, as I get returnee promo prices the same week long inclusive trip would be around $3200, that is a huge difference for us to consider trying out this cruise line.

Am I missing something on the Windstar pricing?

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Hi, the WS price this week is 2,799 pp plus flights. It was hard for me to know the PG costs. We saw the PG while we were there and she was pretty. For us we love the sails, we love the 14 cruises we have taken with WS. I hope someday you can sail with them, I do think it was a glorious way to see a beautiful corner of the world. Susanne

Hi, the WS price this week is 2,799 pp plus flights. It was hard for me to know the PG costs. We saw the PG while we were there and she was pretty. For us we love the sails, we love the 14 cruises we have taken with WS. I hope someday you can sail with them, I do think it was a glorious way to see a beautiful corner of the world. Susanne

Thank you Susanne

Yes $2799 is what I viewed plus another $1999 for the flight/transfer package making a total of around $4800, a bit rich for our budget. As I mentioned I holding a PG prior cruiser discounted price of $3200 which includes the airfare. That is $3200 more for the 2 of us .......... ouch!

That is an ouch. We found fares from LAX for $1200 rt. Still. Keep watching fares especially last minute. The Caribbean fares are a lot less. Susanne

We love FP to much, 18 trips and counting. I was trying to keep things apples for apples using each lines air add-ons.

Over all it appears Windstar is about 15% more, not taking into account loyalty programs, in my case that really helps compared to going with Windstar with no loyalty credit. Plus if I read it right you still pay for drinks on Windstar and also gratuities whereas the PG is inclusive, do I have that right?

Yes, you do pay for drinks and service so the difference is significant. Truth be told if we had not taken the Pacific crossing, plus used miles to get home, just the Tahiti trip would have been pushing the envelope for us. We are on the East coast. Plus we did get a nice past cruiser discount and a good bundling for the 19 day crossing and the 7 day cruise. For for the 26 days and my miles it made for an affordable long vacation. Have a great time, what is most important you are going. Susanne

Yes, you do pay for drinks and service so the difference is significant. Truth be told if we had not taken the Pacific crossing, plus used miles to get home, just the Tahiti trip would have been pushing the envelope for us. We are on the East coast. Plus we did get a nice past cruiser discount and a good bundling for the 19 day crossing and the 7 day cruise. For for the 26 days and my miles it made for an affordable long vacation. Have a great time, what is most important you are going. Susanne

WOW! Great deal for you, would be hard to pass that up. Thanks for the info Susanne, happy sailing

We love Windstar and have sailed 4 times..Carib & Costa Rica..Did the PG in 2011..it was great..the pluses are it included air, transfers, day rooms before & after ( depending on flight times), all drinks incl premium brands and 3 dining venues. We loved the Gauguines..Tahitian girls who were hostesses plus entertainment. They brought Tahiti on board. I would recommend them.

I also think seeing Tahiti from a sailing ship would be fantastic. Windstar may be pricier as there would be about half as many passengers. Also the owners of the PG also ran the hotels we stayed at so they were probably able to offer a better price. . The PG also offers longer cruises incl the Cooks & Marquises. It is a tough choice.

I think one of the things you need to do is separate price from value. We felt that in Windstar we got better service, better food, better entertainment, better cabin layout, and one big thing--there were a few crew members/officers on the PG that made us feel anything but welcome, something we never ran into on Windstar. When it came down to it, we felt we got better value for our money on Windstar.

I've always though I received great value on the PG, never had an issue with any individual staff member, always loves how FP was brought on board, all the time, every day.

Windstar certainly looks good, would love to experience it but not at the price differences. The large sum of money I would save by taking the PG buys a lot of pearls and excursions :D

I've always though I received great value on the PG, never had an issue with any individual staff member, always loves how FP was brought on board, all the time, every day.

Windstar certainly looks good, would love to experience it but not at the price differences. The large sum of money I would save by taking the PG buys a lot of pearls and excursions :D

You are missing the point. The value in the PG was good, but on the Windstar the intangibles give more value for the money.

You are missing the point. The value in the PG was good, but on the Windstar the intangibles give more value for the money.

I didn't miss it .............

I think you might miss what I'm saying.

I make a decent income but in no way am I a top 1%. Cruise lines need to distinguish their target customer.

I think PG hits a segment of the market that would be considered in the top 5% of wage earners, like myself, a much larger market than those that are in the top 1%.

The difference in pricing between Windstar & PG makes a big difference on my budget. Frankly PG stretches us, Windstar at their current pricing for cruisers with no prior experience with them is to high, I can't see spending the extra money, if I was a top 1% it might not be an issue but for us it is.

Again I'll say, would love to try Windstar, seems like a good experience, but not at the price range they are asking, would rather have the extra money to buy excursions, gifts and pearls.

Both PG & Windstar appear to give a good cruise, it simply comes down to affordability for us, PG gives a better price for what seems to many a great experience.

I think one of the things you need to do is separate price from value. We felt that in Windstar we got better service, better food, better entertainment, better cabin layout, and one big thing--there were a few crew members/officers on the PG that made us feel anything but welcome, something we never ran into on Windstar. When it came down to it, we felt we got better value for our money on Windstar.

I would agree 100% with this statement.

I am amused by the people who haven't sailed both who think they are qualified to respond to the OP's question. Four out of five who have sailed on both agree that Windstar is superior or even far superior to the Paul Gauguin. One seems neutral on which was better. It seems that answers the OP's question pretty clearly.

Many of us who prefer Windstar are also regulars in the PG board, and I suspect that if the same question was asked over there, the answers would be the same. I don't think there are more than one, maybe two who have actually sailed both who prefer the PG?

PS--The OP never asked which was cheaper, or indicated that cost was in any way a factor in their decision.

We took the PG for 10 nights 2 years ago. Thought it was the best trip we had ever taken. Am registered for Windstar Culinary/Wine cruise, Barcelona to Lisbon this Nov. If Windstar is "better" or more special in any way, I'm sure to be delirious!

:)

I am amused by the people who haven't sailed both who think they are qualified to respond to the OP's question. Four out of five who have sailed on both agree that Windstar is superior or even far superior to the Paul Gauguin. One seems neutral on which was better. It seems that answers the OP's question pretty clearly.

Many of us who prefer Windstar are also regulars in the PG board, and I suspect that if the same question was asked over there, the answers would be the same. I don't think there are more than one, maybe two who have actually sailed both who prefer the PG?

PS--The OP never asked which was cheaper, or indicated that cost was in any way a factor in their decision.

Well aren't we a 'touchy' one .......

Never tried to compare other than price, that is a constant not an opinion, people's opinions are just that, opinions which can fluctuate based on each persons vantage point.

I'm sure if the question was asked on PG forum the loyalist would be just as supportive.

Keep it real, no one has said anything negative about your beloved cruise line, just that if they want newbies from other good cruise lines they must do better on the price, maybe $4000+ does mean much to you but it sure does for many ;)

Have a good day

Never tried to compare other than price, that is a constant not an opinion, people's opinions are just that, opinions which can fluctuate based on each persons vantage point.

I'm sure if the question was asked on PG forum the loyalist would be just as supportive.

Keep it real, no one has said anything negative about your beloved cruise line, just that if they want newbies from other good cruise lines they must do better on the price, maybe $4000+ does mean much to you but it sure does for many ;)

Have a good day

Again you missed the point. The OP is specifically looking for opinions from people who have sailed both lines, as opposed to comment from people who have only sailed one so can't really make a comparison, except in regard to cost, which the OP is obviously aware of and not concerned with. Those of us who have sailed both lines post on both forums, and would have the same opinion.

To address your opinion on Windstar needing to lower prices, they will if they need to, but a good many people are not as price sensitive as you seem to be, a fact that seems to allude you.

Edited by ducklite

Keep it real, no one has said anything negative about your beloved cruise line, just that if they want newbies from other good cruise lines they must do better on the price, maybe $4000+ does mean much to you but it sure does for many

I've been following this thread out of curiosity - mainly because Tahiti just isn't in the cards for us anytime soon with us caring for three elderly parents - too far and too much time away.

However, the $4,000 difference in price caught my eye. So, playing the devil's advocate, I decided to do a little research on the pricing. Not taking ANY previous cruiser discounts one may get, I approached it as if I were a first time cruiser on both lines with pricing available as of today's date. This is what I found:

The only months that both PG and Wind Spirit are in Tahiti at the same time with 7 night itineraries are Sept., Oct. & Nov. Then I found the lowest & highest pricing for each line during those months for the most inexpensive category cabin:

PG

Lowest - 3,995

Highest - 4,995

Windstar

Lowest - 2,799+1,999 Air & Hotel+72 Svc. Charge=$4,870 ($875 more than PG)

Highest - 2,999+1,999 Air & Hotel+72 Svc. Charge=$5,070 or ($85 more than PG)

Of course, while Windstar's pricing includes soft drinks & water, it does not include bar drinks, so for anyone making a decision they would have to factor it in.

Bottom line - Yes, Windstar is a little more expensive, but certainly not by $4,000 ($2,000 per person).

I did notice that in December, PG's lowest pricing jumps up to 5,195 for its holiday weeks. And, Windstar has some pricing in June and July at $2,399.

I guess the best advice is to do your homework and figure out which line has the value for the price that will make you happy. Of course, if you check out my recent cruise history, you can probably figure out which line I would choose (especially because I would get to factor in my Yacht Club discounts);)