Geiranger, Norway - Mt. Dalsnibba or Eagle Bend

We have a day in Geiranger in July. We are planning on taking a boat ride to see the Seven Sisters. Then we want to take a bus ride, but not sure which one to do- Eagle Bend or Mt. Dalsnibba? Also, if the weather is poor for visibility, and we prebook, then we won't get to see anything from the mountain and we are out the money! What to do?:rolleyes: I would like to hear from someone with suggestions. Since we are on a cruise, I think we may be shut out of tours if we wait until we arrive at the port.

I'm assuming you are visiting from a cruise ship for that day? I'm not sure I would take the boat ride to see the Seven Sisters. You will cruise right by them on your way in and out of Geiranger. It was early when we sailed in, so I wasn't on deck to see them (perhaps it was even dark). But on the way back out in the late afternoon, our ship even stopped for about 10-15 minutes right in the fjord at that point so we could soak in the waterfalls on both sides. Even without stopping, I think you'd get more than enough time with them on a sail by.

We will also be going in July. We tend to book the cruiseline excursions. The excursion that we choose for Geiranger is, "Mt. Dalsnibba & the Eagle Road."

Maybe the same is offered for your cruise.

We did the Mt Dalsnibba trip offered by the local tourist board. The whole bus was booked out by our roll call! http://www.geirangerfjord.no/BUS-TOUR-TO-MT.-DALSNIBBA

Unfortunately for us, it rained nearly all day and just as we got to the top of the mountain the cloud closed right in and you could just about see your hand in fromt of your face!, but it was still worth the trip I think. We saw some great scenery, a huge stag reindeer and experienced 36 hairpin bends up and 36 back down!! (at least it seemed like 36...I might have added a couple!).

Simon

We did the Mt Dalsnibba trip offered by the local tourist board. The whole bus was booked out by our roll call! http://www.geirangerfjord.no/BUS-TOUR-TO-MT.-DALSNIBBA

Unfortunately for us, it rained nearly all day and just as we got to the top of the mountain the cloud closed right in and you could just about see your hand in fromt of your face!, but it was still worth the trip I think. We saw some great scenery, a huge stag reindeer and experienced 36 hairpin bends up and 36 back down!! (at least it seemed like 36...I might have added a couple!).

Simon

Ha. Very similar to what happened with us. We were on a ship excursion and in the morning when they hoped to drive up Dalsnibba, it was too foggy and not permitted or maybe just not worth it (I forget). So they juggled the sequence of the stops. In the afternoon, we were finally able to drive to the top, however, once up there, it was mostly fogged in. We couldn't really see any of the scenery more than what was directly around us. However, like you, we still enjoyed the day a lot and would do it again in a heartbeat -- hopefully seeing more this time.

Thank you for all of your ideas!:) I decided to do the http://www.geirangerfjord.no bus trip to Dalsnibba. It sounds like everyone enjoyed it, even though the weather was poor. I decided against the RIB since we will be passing right by it and I guess it might be cold and rainy. Now, I need to decide on Stavanger, Olden, Alesund and Bergen.:D

Only one I've done is Stavanger. The tourist service run their 'train' (a tractor pulling about 5 carriages) from the cruise port when a ship is in. It takes you on a tour of the city and stops a couple of times, so technically its a HOHO! I think it was €10 for a day ticket, so we went out, came back to the ship for lunch (much cheaper!!!...a Big Mac in Norway is around $11...and fries are extra!!)and went out again. The church/cathedral is well worth a look. 3rd biggest in Norway and though it looks like its made of stone, its all wood. They were renovating some of the inside when we were there. The smell was wonderful!

Simon

Only one I've done is Stavanger. The tourist service run their 'train' (a tractor pulling about 5 carriages) from the cruise port when a ship is in. It takes you on a tour of the city and stops a couple of times, so technically its a HOHO! I think it was €10 for a day ticket, so we went out, came back to the ship for lunch (much cheaper!!!...a Big Mac in Norway is around $11...and fries are extra!!)and went out again. The church/cathedral is well worth a look. 3rd biggest in Norway and though it looks like its made of stone, its all wood. They were renovating some of the inside when we were there. The smell was wonderful!

Simon

Thanks for your suggestions.

The tractor train ride sounds like a nice leisurely ride. I'd like to see the cathedral and the Petroleum Museum.

a 1000 apologies!!

I'm getting my ports mixed up! (its my age ..honest:D).

The 'train' and cathedral are in Kristiansand. The ship docks in the city centre in Stavanger and the centre is more or less pedestrianised, so very easy to walk round. There is a market and many shops and little cafes. The Petroleum Museum is about a 10-15 minute walk and easy to spot. Look towards the big suspension bridge about a mile away and its the building that looks like an oil rig!

Simon

We will be in Oslo from 9am til 4pm. Ship tour prices are similar to local tour prices. So I have opted to do the ship ones out of convenience. Here is my question. I really want to see the Fram museum, Kon Tiki and Viking Ship Museum. This tour doesn't begin until Noon time. I also heard that the Vigeland Scupture park is very worthwhile. So, the Vigeland Sculpture Park/Viking Ship Museum leaves at 9am. If I go on the 9am tour, then we have time to walk around Oslo after the tour. I know we won't walk around Oslo before the Noon tour, if we decide to do the afternoon tour. Is it worth waiting til Noon to see all the boat museums, or should we take the morning tour to the sculpture park and see just one ship museum?

a 1000 apologies!!

I'm getting my ports mixed up! (its my age ..honest:D).

The 'train' and cathedral are in Kristiansand. The ship docks in the city centre in Stavanger and the centre is more or less pedestrianised, so very easy to walk round. There is a market and many shops and little cafes. The Petroleum Museum is about a 10-15 minute walk and easy to spot. Look towards the big suspension bridge about a mile away and its the building that looks like an oil rig!

Simon

Thanks for all your help. We plan on walking around Stavanger and going to the Petroleum Museum.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Oslo from 9am til 4pm. Ship tour prices are similar to local tour prices. So I have opted to do the ship ones out of convenience. Here is my question. I really want to see the Fram museum, Kon Tiki and Viking Ship Museum. This tour doesn't begin until Noon time. I also heard that the Vigeland Scupture park is very worthwhile. So, the Vigeland Sculpture Park/Viking Ship Museum leaves at 9am. If I go on the 9am tour, then we have time to walk around Oslo after the tour. I know we won't walk around Oslo before the Noon tour, if we decide to do the afternoon tour. Is it worth waiting til Noon to see all the boat museums, or should we take the morning tour to the sculpture park and see just one ship museum?

You could do Vigeland Parken on an organized tour and then return to where the ship docks and take the ferry across to Bigdøy and visit the museums there. The ferries dock at Radhuset. The Viking ship museum is the most interesting of the three IMO.

You could do Vigeland Parken on an organized tour and then return to where the ship docks and take the ferry across to Bigdøy and visit the museums there. The ferries dock at Radhuset. The Viking ship museum is the most interesting of the three IMO.

Hi Roffa,

After much deliberation, I decided to do the ship's excursion that goes to both the Vigeland Park and the Viking museum. Thanks for your ideas.:)