Recent (April-May 2014) Civitavecchia Experience?

euro cruiser

No one has mentioned a cab from the ship to the train station. Are they not available there at all? I know they would cost more, but it would save the walking and the time (my wife has some mobility issues). We were thinking of taking the train to Rome and then taking the Hop On/Hop Off bus to get around. Does anyone know where would be best to get off the train to catch this bus with the least walking?

Next we bought the pass for 14 Euros (is that right?) for return to/from Civi/Rome plus you get to use it on all the Metros in Rome for that price. Compared to the 5 Euros price for each leg of the train alone this is a good value because you will want to take the subway.
The BIRG ticket is 12 Euros.

The train ride to Rome takes 45-60 minutes depending on where you get off. We planned to get off at the end of the line, Temini station, despite the fact it shares the same name as that place on the Walking Dead. The logic in Termini was that it also sits on the Termini subway station so from there we could take a quick two stop ride to the Coliseum and save walking time.

This plan makes sense in theory however the walk from the train track (#25 indicates very far away) to the actual subway station took almost 20 minutes of walking. It was clearly marked only very, very far apart. I wonder if it would have been faster to walk to the Coliseum from the train station. Really.

At this point I figured we had walked about 45-60 minutes to get to the Civi station and then to the Termini subway before seeing anything in Rome.

You should have asked us first! We would have told you that it's faster to get off the train at the Roma Ostiense station and take the metro two stops north from there to Colosseo than to go to Termini and take the metro two stops south to the same place. There are a couple of reasons: (1) the trains slow down significantly as they enter the Termini tracks, and the regional trains are the slowest of all and (2) the distance from the regional track head to the main part of the station, as you noted. Get off earlier and miss all that mess.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread updated. As the summer wears on it will be particularly important to our fellow cruisers in Europe.

No one has mentioned a cab from the ship to the train station. Are they not available there at all? I know they would cost more, but it would save the walking and the time (my wife has some mobility issues). We were thinking of taking the train to Rome and then taking the Hop On/Hop Off bus to get around. Does anyone know where would be best to get off the train to catch this bus with the least walking?

I don't recall seeing cabs where the ship docks - unless the ship is debarking that day. In fact I have a feeling that there is a security gate which wouldn't allow cabs through (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

There used to be a few cabs near where the port bus used to drop you and it may be that cabs are now waiting at the new drop-off. However I don't think they would want to take someone for just 1.4 km and suggest your best option would be to wait for the local bus which has been mentioned.

The HOHO bus has its main stop right outside the doors to Termini Station which is where the train from Civitavecchia terminates, so that's where I would catch it from.

Edited by Bobal

I don't recall seeing cabs where the ship docks - unless the ship is debarking that day. In fact I have a feeling that there is a security gate which wouldn't allow cabs through (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

There used to be a few cabs near where the port bus used to drop you and it may be that cabs are now waiting at the new drop-off. However I don't think they would want to take someone for just 1.4 km and suggest your best option would be to wait for the local bus which has been mentioned.

The HOHO bus has its main stop right outside the doors to Termini Station which is where the train from Civitavecchia terminates, so that's where I would catch it from.

Boy, I sure wouldn't go all the way to termini to catch the HoHo. It is an unnecessary deviation. I would get off the train at Roma San Pietro and walk down to St. Peter's which you can clearly see a few blocks away. Then you can either tour the basilica (free and not to be missed IMO) or catch the HoHo right in front of the piazza. For your return trip you could get off the HoHo at termini to ensure that you get a seat, but it's a very long walk to the civitavecchia train from the station entrance, 300 meters or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Previous distance to the train station was 500 meters

Currently Very much increased distance

My mother in law with me

Uses a cane

Would be difficult for her to move such a distance

Who knows when finished works

Who I can ask this

We will get on 20 Jul

Taxi is not interested in taking such a small distance

Are buses pass on the way

What is a number line

What schedule

What is the name of the bus

Thanks in advance for your help

Previous distance to the train station was 500 meters

Currently Very much increased distance

My mother in law with me

Uses a cane

Would be difficult for her to move such a distance

Who knows when finished works

Who I can ask this

We will get on 20 Jul

Taxi is not interested in taking such a small distance

Are buses pass on the way

What is a number line

What schedule

Thanks in advance for your help

Get the ships shuttle to the temporary shuttle park and the local bus to the station. Beware the station at Civitavecchia requires step access between platforms and the lift as St Pietro station doesnt work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boy, I sure wouldn't go all the way to termini to catch the HoHo. It is an unnecessary deviation. I would get off the train at Roma San Pietro and walk down to St. Peter's which you can clearly see a few blocks away. Then you can either tour the basilica (free and not to be missed IMO) or catch the HoHo right in front of the piazza. For your return trip you could get off the HoHo at termini to ensure that you get a seat, but it's a very long walk to the civitavecchia train from the station entrance, 300 meters or more.

With all due respect, my answer was to travelron who spoke about his wife with mobility issues and the distance from San Pietro station to the closest point where the HOHO bus stops is 1.1 KM and is not a straightforward, easy route for someone with mobility issues. If travelron had mentioned it was a priority to see St peters first I would have pointed this out but since his main concern seemed to be ease of boarding the bus I would stand by the suggestion that the easiest way to get on the HOHO bus would be at Termini.

Edited by Bobal

With all due respect, my answer was to travelron who spoke about his wife with mobility issues and the distance from San Pietro station to the closest point where the HOHO bus stops is 1.1 KM and is not a straightforward, easy route for someone with mobility issues. If travelron had mentioned it was a priority to see St peters first I would have pointed this out but since his main concern seemed to be ease of boarding the bus I would stand by the suggestion that the easiest way to get on the HOHO bus would be at Termini.

Yes, in that instance you are correct--sorry, I missed the mobility part--but it's still going to be a long way from the platform to the HoHo. In the case of being mobility impaired, maybe a better idea would be to get off the train at Roma San Pietro and get a cab to the nearest HoHo location. Or do an excursion, private or ship, that doesn't require much walking. Unfortunately, the HoHo in Rome is not ideal since the buses can't get close to most of the main sites and you have to get off the bus to walk to them. A private excursion, possibly shared with roll call members, that can get close to the sites is probably the best solution, albeit somewhat more expensive than train/HoHo.

Get the ships shuttle to the temporary shuttle park and the local bus to the station. Beware the station at Civitavecchia requires step access between platforms and the lift as St Pietro station doesnt work.

What is a number line

What schedule

There are a lot of tourists at this time

Important to me time and amount of buses for planning travel to Rome

And more importantly return to Rome without missing the cruise

thank you in advance

avner

My mother in law can climb stairs

What is a number line

What schedule

There are a lot of tourists at this time

Important to me time and amount of buses for planning travel to Rome

And more importantly return to Rome without missing the cruise

thank you in advance

avner

My mother in law can climb stairs

At the shuttle bus drop off there is just one cabin in the car park where you buy a ticket and then one line for the bus to the station. They have a sign saying 'bus to railway station'. You cannot miss it. The bus doesnt have a number but has a sign 'Railway Station' in the window. Lots of other passengers will be catching the same bus.

On returning to the station the same bus with the same sign will be outside. If it isnt there just wait outside till it comes.

Dont be too stressed, it adds some time to the journey but it is easy to do. I would say allow 30-40 mins for your journey from the ship to the station though it will probably be less.

Back from our cruise and we did indeed stop at the new drop-off point which is over half the distance from the old point. There's a lot of building work going on around the fort (the old drop-off point) and knowing how quickly they work, I wouldn't expect it to be finished anytime soon.

If you want to see where the new drop-off point is just google Hotel Traghetto and it's about 50 yds from there - having stayed at the Traghetto last year, it would have been ideal for us. :rolleyes:

This time we were on a tight schedule as we left the ship overnight and had a train already booked from Termini. We walked to the station - quickly - in no more than 25 mins. Previously, walking at the fast rate we used would have taken less than 10 minutes. There was no bus to the station at the drop-off point when we got there (at around 7.20am) and we weren't prepared to wait for one.

The walk really isn't onerous, even with cases, for anyone who is reasonably fit and at a steady pace would only take 30-35 mins. We did it last year with cases when we stayed at the Traghetto and we're no spring chickens. Even if we hadn't been on a tight schedule (and wary of when the local bus would turn up) I would happily walk it again rather than hang around for a bus and risk the ensuing scramble if a big line has built up.

Thanks so much for the hotel info. We were booked at another place farther away and just changed and booked there. The reviews look great and much closer. Thanks again

At the shuttle bus drop off there is just one cabin in the car park where you buy a ticket and then one line for the bus to the station. They have a sign saying 'bus to railway station'. You cannot miss it. The bus doesnt have a number but has a sign 'Railway Station' in the window. Lots of other passengers will be catching the same bus.

On returning to the station the same bus with the same sign will be outside. If it isnt there just wait outside till it comes.

Dont be too stressed, it adds some time to the journey but it is easy to do. I would say allow 30-40 mins for your journey from the ship to the station though it will probably be less.

thank you very much

have a nice day

avner