Princess Trivia

A1A

We never miss trivia while cruising. It's so much fun! It's a great way to meet fellow cruisers and to all commiserate about how stupid you all are! :D

It can get really competitive though. On our last cruise, we had about 150 passengers playing and shockingly, the 4 of us won! (DH, me, 2 adult sons). We were so shocked and it was so unexpected that we didn't cheer or anything - we just sat there like bumps on a log. :p The person running it gave us a chewing out for that. lol So, if you win, remember to really cheer! ;)

trivia is my favorite on board activity. As a solo traveler, I usually go the very first game and just ask to join a team that doesn't yet have 6 players. It is a great way to meet new friends and to stretch your brain a bit. I have been on some very good teams and some not so good teams....but it is always fun.

Trivia is so much fun. My husband and I try to go to as many as we can. I actually find it amusing to watch the competitive teams. We have even seen people check for answers on their I-pads and phones. Now those are the ones that really take it seriously.

We have even seen people check for answers on their I-pads and phones. Now those are the ones that really take it seriously.

Yes, serious enough to cheat.

One of the reasons we no longer attend.

Mike:)

Trivia is really meant to be fun, and most times it is super fun! However, you occasionally run in to a super serious team who will argue to the bloody death for a magnetic chip clip or lanyard. Sometimes that is as entertaining as the game.

I did a live from in January 2013 on a South America cruise, and the biggest topic of my blog was a certain Trivia team that we knick named "the Smarty Pants". They were vicious if they did not win. It was pretty funny to watch them debate for trinkets.

Go and have fun. Hopefully, you will have a good time and win!:)

We played at least twice a day. I don't think we ever won! LOL!

There was one rather obnoxious team, who actually got caught cheating by looking up answers on their iPad! The crew member who caught them, actually got in trouble when they reported HIM!! So ridiculous!!

I also heard (and it's probably the same group) that many of these people use the prizes they get to "tip" the cabin steward!! :eek: And that is not in addition to a cash tip....that IS the tip!! :p

With that said, we still played and really enjoyed ourselves and made some great friends playing!! :D;)e

My trophies from my Carnival cruise last summer are sitting on my window sill.

We played trivia on the two Carnival cruises we have taken and unfortunately each team graded their own paper. Needless to say, there were a lot of perfect papers, including one by a team of two teenagers. (who could have been super bright of course, but I had my doubts.....).

It is like any amateur sport, like golf or bowling. You do it to have fun, but there is still an element of competition....nothing wrong with that! (as long as you are not choking the opponent)

We refuse to let the obnoxious ones ruin our fun. I won't play on the same team as them, but they will not drive me away

Right! We wouldn't let them run us off either!! :D

There will always be a few cheaters in every group whether they're B2Bers that have written down the answers or people checking their phones/iPads. It ruins the fun for them if they chose to do that. I think the whole point is learning something new and meeting other people. And especially for solo travelers, it's a really good way to meet others in a friendly environment.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp

We played at least twice a day. I don't think we ever won! LOL!

There was one rather obnoxious team, who actually got caught cheating by looking up answers on their iPad! The crew member who caught them, actually got in trouble when they reported HIM!! So ridiculous!!

I also heard (and it's probably the same group) that many of these people use the prizes they get to "tip" the cabin steward!! :eek: And that is not in addition to a cash tip....that IS the tip!! :p

With that said, we still played and really enjoyed ourselves and made some great friends playing!! :D;)e

It is my understanding that the "Trivia Tippers" are no longer welcome on Princess ships. Princess got fed up with all their demands for special treatment.

It is my understanding that the "Trivia Tippers" are no longer welcome on Princess ships. Princess got fed up with all their demands for special treatment.

That's encouraging; but there are still plenty of wannabees out there.;)

Once when I played, a group cheated with reference books.

Another time, a gent had a stack of about 200 file cards with

notes on them.

Once when I played, a group cheated with reference books.

Another time, a gent had a stack of about 200 file cards with

notes on them.

That is a shame that people feel compelled to do such.

Trivia on Princess is about fun. The prizes are almost worthless so there is no reason to cheat.

On the Grand in April the first trivia was at 9.45 am!!! Never made that one.

A few years ago on the Diamond from Beijing to Singapore, we got tokens for each win (not just trivia) and could exchange them for prizes at the end. Much better system.

We do it for fun, quite often just the 2 of us, but its amazing how competitive some people are. Love it when they are proved wrong.

They tried that for a short period of time. Very short. There was almost a WW III because of it. People want instant prizes, even though they are mostly useless.

They tried that for a short period of time. Very short. There was almost a WW III because of it. People want instant prizes, even though they are mostly useless.

They were popular on the cruises I have been on when the tokens were used. Winners were happy without getting many of the same useless items.

Pictures below show

a) a token

b) selection of prizes

c) what 2 tokens could be redeemed for

1500953228_03712_15.10Prizetokenforwinninganactivity101_9018.jpg.f8332c1306badf0694fdaf8e6c1ffde2.jpg

1034811348_03812_19.10PrizetokenexchangeinWheelhouseBar101_9393.jpg.2574e640191ffbed88c0cd6eb47b3ef4.jpg

829794392_04212_21.10Champagneusingtwoprizetokens101_9565.jpg.cbb751adc064412ace43c0584be92f75.jpg

Well good for Princess if that's true!!

My last cruise I went twice to Trivia, just to watch & listen. The first day was pretty tame, but the second day got intense. You knew there would be controversy when the Cruise Staff addressed the question with "If there is any debate over the answer, we can talk about it and the end of the session". OH yea, there was a heated debate during the answer session and the team got in her face afterward. Best thing about it.....they actually won the Trivia contest!

Trivia is one of our favorite on board activities. It used to be BINGO, but we recently made the switch. We met some great people who ended up being our friends for the whole cruise, and we still keep in touch.

We put together our team on the first day, and it turned out awesome. We had a sports guy, a science guy, a history guy, a couple of really random general knowledge folks and I'm good at pop culture. We won a few times, and even won a couple of bottles of champagne. Nobody was super cutthroat on our cruise, but several teams were pretty equal which made it fun and challenging. I'm looking forward to playing again on my next cruise.

The cruise also did scattergories and some other games...they were pretty rough. Trivia was the only one I would play again...and the night time game shows - the newlywed game and music trivia - etc.

Trivia is one of our favorite on board activities. It used to be BINGO, but we recently made the switch. We met some great people who ended up being our friends for the whole cruise, and we still keep in touch.

We put together our team on the first day, and it turned out awesome. We had a sports guy, a science guy, a history guy, a couple of really random general knowledge folks and I'm good at pop culture. We won a few times, and even won a couple of bottles of champagne. Nobody was super cutthroat on our cruise, but several teams were pretty equal which made it fun and challenging. I'm looking forward to playing again on my next cruise.

The cruise also did scattergories and some other games...they were pretty rough. Trivia was the only one I would play again...and the night time game shows - the newlywed game and music trivia - etc.

Ditto on the switch to Trivia over Bingo (still play a little, but not like before). We have made friends too, that we are still in touch with! As a matter of fact, one of our "team members" will be on our upcoming cruise and through our Roll Call, we have put together a few trivia groups already! So much fun! :D