Help! Travel Agent Called-Whittier Tunnel

fakegrandmother

Travel agent was canceling our transfers through Princess since we are renting a large vehicle to drive pre-cruise and to Whittier. Daughter (Denali resident) will drive back to anchorage and return vehicle to airport.

Princess asked TA to caution us that it was difficult to get there if not on chartered transport. Really???? Is that just hype or true?

I know about tunnel being one way on a schedule.

Told TA I would check with CC posters because I know you will have the correct info.

Princess asked TA to caution us that it was difficult to get there if not on chartered transport. Really???? Is that just hype or true?

The Princess agent should be ashamed of herself - that's simply nonsense. The opening/directional schedules are online.

In rare cases, you can get stuck in line an extra hour. The tunnel is open 15 minutes, on the half hour going toward Whittier, on the hour leaving. The key is to allow extra time.

This has personally happened to me.

Effectively, I think the key is to say your goodbyes quickly, as your chauffeur will have 15 minutes to get from the tunnel to the ship, drop you off, and return to the queue. Or, say wonderful goodbyes calmly and expect to wait for an hour. :)

i got to go through the tunnel the last year that vehicles were loaded on railway flatcars and hauled to Whittier via the train. i could have ridden in one of the passenger cars but to pass up riding the rails in my pickup, nfw. roll down the windows and turn up the music.

Do you think that Princess makes a ton of money providing overpriced transfers has any relationship to the fact that they are totally lying.

Assume that 25% at most of whatever a cruise company tells you might actually be true.

DON

The travel agent is wrong. My wife works part-time for one of the boat companies in Whittier during the summer and she drives her own vehicle to and from the town through the tunnel. $12.00 to get in and no charge to leave. She even bought a book of tunnel passes to save some money.

The travel agent is wrong. My wife works part-time for one of the boat companies in Whittier during the summer and she drives her own vehicle to and from the town through the tunnel. $12.00 to get in and no charge to leave. She even bought a book of tunnel passes to save some money.

It is PRINCESS, not the travel agent, that is feeding the OP this BS.

It is PRINCESS, not the travel agent, that is feeding the OP this BS.

This is a quote from the OP's original post -

"Princess asked TA to caution us that it was difficult to get there if not on chartered transport. Really???? Is that just hype or true?"

Princess is lying about the supposed Whittier Tunnel problems, not the TA.

DON

This is a quote from the OP's original post -

"Princess asked TA to caution us that it was difficult to get there if not on chartered transport. Really???? Is that just hype or true?"

Princess is lying about the supposed Whittier Tunnel problems, not the TA.

DON

That is exactly what I said :confused::confused:

As part of our post-cruise land tour, we'll be coming into Whittier from Valdez on the alaska marine ferry. We hope to get the next tunnel out but if not, we'll just wait for the next one. That makes me mad that Princess did that and any TA with Alaska knowledge should also know better

As part of our post-cruise land tour, we'll be coming into Whittier from Valdez on the alaska marine ferry. We hope to get the next tunnel out but if not, we'll just wait for the next one. That makes me mad that Princess did that and any TA with Alaska knowledge should also know better

Actually very few TA's are up on Alaska, like the experts on this and Trip Advisor boards. Invaluable resources.

Travel agent was canceling our transfers through Princess since we are renting a large vehicle to drive pre-cruise and to Whittier. Daughter (Denali resident) will drive back to anchorage and return vehicle to airport.

I know about tunnel being one way on a schedule.

Told TA I would check with CC posters because I know you will have the correct info.

I took this totally different. The Princess agent was trying to be helpful and didn't know that you were aware. If you didn't know about the tunnel it would have been helpful to be told - so you could prepare.

Have a great cruise :)

I took this totally different. The Princess agent was trying to be helpful and didn't know that you were aware.

The Princess agent gave bogus information designed to get them to book a Princess shuttle - "Princess asked TA to caution us that it was difficult to get there if not on chartered transport." It is NOT difficult.

it certainly is not difficult to get through the tunnel, however it can be expensive to rent a car in Anchorage and drive it yourself as a one way drop off....drop off fees can be exorbitant....Check that out.....There are several private van services that do it as well as the railroad which is a beautiful ride...lets you off at the dock, but again, it is not cheap....check all of the options....

..we are renting a large vehicle to drive pre-cruise and to Whittier. Daughter (Denali resident) will drive back to anchorage and return vehicle to airport....

The people RENTING the vehicle to you will know what is reasonable and what is not.

By the way, but "large vehicle", what you referring to?