Anyone ask for a room change once on board?

Sarah@Sea

Yes, I know I put myself at risk for even asking this....

I booked a guarantee balcony within a month of the sail date, I did look at which balc were currently open and was willing to take the risk. I really do not care which deck, what I'm over or under....what I would like is to be near an elevator doesn't even matter which set...and I know most people do not like to be near the elevators because of the possible noise. I did ask the PVP if she'd note that on the reservation, but YES I know no promises...I got it. It's a would be nice, would make cruise easier due to condition with my legs...but obviously not so important that I wanted to pick my cabin. I got it.

Of course I am assigned a cabin all the way fwd, just 3 away from the end. (which is at least closer when getting off/on from ports than if I were way way aft) Now it's a week before the sailing and I see at least 3 cabins on the same deck as I am open near the elevator, as in right beside them...not to mention ones near elevator on other decks.

If I were going to ask to be moved...50/50 chance right? Should I attempt before I sail, or the day of....I am thinking the day off if one was open I would have the best chance as there would be no one else booking?

Again I'll survive where I am...but if the other cabins are open and available I would like to move closer if possible.

someone else posted on another post that they had requested another cabin and they got a different cabin. sounded like they just tossed them back in the pool of open cabins and they got a different. If they did this it could be better or it could be worse.

I have read where other people have complained about their GTY locations being noisy because of being over the lounge or under the deck area..and they were moved. So it's not like Carnival doesn't move GTY location for people.

Yes, I would like a to be closer to the elevator, no I would not like to pay $200 more for that when/if those cabins are empty anyway. As I said, I'll stay where I am at if the answer is no...but it won't hurt to ask.

someone else posted on another post that they had requested another cabin and they got a different cabin. sounded like they just tossed them back in the pool of open cabins and they got a different. If they did this it could be better or it could be worse.

Thank you...if what is visible on their website is correct then not sure I'd be much further. I do realize they may try to upsell people this week to fill the balconies I currently see open.

John H. posted a response of this on one of his first cruises that he is back on.. He stated that within a few hours, over 71 passengers had came through guest services, asking for a change in room assignments (either to be bumped up or moved laterally)..

It was a nightmare for sure. He never stated if anyone got changed but I think he mentioned many standing in line for a while, putting in their request. He even asked, if this was become a great thing or just that many people wanting to change rooms, once they had boarded..

I would go on and maybe ask but beware that you may get a flat no..

Edited by rarasnake

My feeling in all things is if I do ask, I might get, and if I don't ask, I definitely won't get. I'd ask now and see what happens. And if nothing, then try again on board if you want. But... imagine being the person who get these constant requests from folks who just didn't want to pay for the cabin they actually prefer. Just sayin'... :rolleyes: Have a wonderful time either way!

Don't wait until you board to get a different room

because if they are sold out and 99% of the time they are,

you will not be able to move.

Somehow this never seems to occur to people.

They think the ship keeps 20-30 cabins empty and available

just in case a malcontent feels the need to switch locale.

I would call them now and ask about changing your room assignment to a room closer to the elevator. I would explain the reason you want it. I think it will be too late to do so if you wait until the cruise. I sail tomorrow on the Dream and just checked to see what is left. There are only a couple of cabins left on the ship - with only 1 balcony is showing available.

My feeling in all things is if I do ask, I might get, and if I don't ask, I definitely won't get. I'd ask now and see what happens. And if nothing, then try again on board if you want. But... imagine being the person who get these constant requests from folks who just didn't want to pay for the cabin they actually prefer. Just sayin'... :rolleyes: Have a wonderful time either way!

I will have a wonderful time either way! And from what I read they do get far worse requests...don't make me throw around my GOLD status...HA! I just read someone got credit back because the location of their GTY balc didn't allow them to have lights on the balc at night. Um ok again I'd just like to not be as worn out, so I can enjoy more of the vacation but hey this is something I live with 24/7 I'm used to accommodating my needs and managing my condition.

I love how people are still telling her what she should have done when she specifically stated she knew that.

I would try both calling now and seeing if they will do anything, and then if that doesn't work try when you board. Like others have said you never know unless you try. Good Luck!

Edited by MissKIA

I love how people are still telling her what she should have done when she specifically stated she knew that.

I would try both calling now and seeing if they will do anything, and then if that doesn't work try when you board. Like others have said you never know unless you try. Good Luck!

Thank you! Guess I could post to JH and make my demand there and then threaten to never sail Carnival again if not met? (kidding) I mean I see all the complaints about not getting MDR tables seating requests when those are not guaranteed, people complaining the Mtre'D isn't replying to emails quick enough etc. Upset because itinerary changed and their non-carnival excursion has to be changed and that costs them....etc...etc. I wanted to take a last minute deal cruise....I own that....

One thing I noted on a 'different' cruise line, was that there was almost always a sign up saying all rooms were filled and don't ask to move.

It is a lie. They DO keep rooms open for unexpected VIPs, or for situations like burst plumbing or broken outer windows suddenly making some cabins absolutely uninhabitable. The sign is to try to mitigate the situation described above, where 70 people do not like their assigned cabin and want to move.

Sadly, my experience also taught me that the ones who made the biggest and nastiest fuss got much better results than those who were polite and considerate with their requests. IMO just the opposite SHOULD be the case.

Yes, I know I put myself at risk for even asking this....

I booked a guarantee balcony within a month of the sail date, I did look at which balc were currently open and was willing to take the risk. I really do not care which deck, what I'm over or under....what I would like is to be near an elevator doesn't even matter which set...and I know most people do not like to be near the elevators because of the possible noise. I did ask the PVP if she'd note that on the reservation, but YES I know no promises...I got it. It's a would be nice, would make cruise easier due to condition with my legs...but obviously not so important that I wanted to pick my cabin. I got it.

Of course I am assigned a cabin all the way fwd, just 3 away from the end. (which is at least closer when getting off/on from ports than if I were way way aft) Now it's a week before the sailing and I see at least 3 cabins on the same deck as I am open near the elevator, as in right beside them...not to mention ones near elevator on other decks.

If I were going to ask to be moved...50/50 chance right? Should I attempt before I sail, or the day of....I am thinking the day off if one was open I would have the best chance as there would be no one else booking?

Again I'll survive where I am...but if the other cabins are open and available I would like to move closer if possible.

We like being near the front of the ship-always try to book there. That way, you do not have a lot of people/kids running by your cabin. I think you will be happy where you are.

Once we were assigned a guarantee cabin in the front of the ship. Called Customer service up and they did move us to a different cabin, although a deck down, it was more midship. That was ok with us. Maybe we were lucky. It can't hurt to call.:)

We booked a gty balcony for our next cruise this June. Once our room was assigned and I saw it was over the lounge, I called to ask if we could upgrade to a higher floor. Prices had gone down, so we got to upgrade and got an OBC. I'd call now. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have called up to have a gty cabin changed. I looked up and wrote down the available cabin #'s I preferred and the Carnival rep changed it without a problem. I guess it may help to have the cabin #'s ready to help the agent check on availability.

One time the agent gave me a better cabin that was showing as unavailable on the website but showed available on their system.:cool:

Give them a call. Worst they will say is no. If those cabins that you are now seeing as available can be considered in the same category as what you booked you should be able to be moved to one. Just remember the main word there is "should" as I am no expert in these matter's and cannot guarantee your results. Good luck! :)

Edited by Eng23

So have you called? Curious to see how this turns out.

I am waiting for Monday, as I moved the booked to a TA so I am going to have them call...right? Carnival will not talk to me about changes? I have to go pick up my completed travel insurance documents anyway, was going to write down the rooms I see open so 1. I can give them a cabin number if they ask or 2. so if they give a cabin number I can know if it's one that I saw. There are some open in the category to which I was given, and odd that my current cabin can accommodate 3 people and I am sailing solo....I would think they'd want to keep a 3 person open for possibility of 3 fares. I will report back.

We just got off the Pride a week ago. We booked an obstructed balcony and was even careful to book between two life boats as we have done in 4k cabins. When we got to the room we realized that we booked near the first 3 life boats and they were much larger then we anticipated.

We went to guest services right away and was told "maybe" but we had to wait until after we sailed. We never touched or unpacked a thing. Went and enjoyed the afternoon, had dinner and returned to guest services. To our delight we were changed to another cabin with an unobstructed view!!! When we told them just to add the difference to our sail and sign (or we could pay right then) they said "NO CHARGE". Well that was music to our ears. Cabin was wonderful. We would not have been to disappointed had we not gotten to change because we were the ones who screwed up. (They even brought a large cart and put all our luggage and carryon's on it and said "follow me" and away we went)