Wine Policy

On most ships if you book a Neptune suite you get a bottle of "sparkling wine" in your cabin when you arrive. I take mine to the Neptune Concierge and exchange it for a bottle of the house "white", which is usually not bad.

DaveOKC

Thank you, Dave!!! I was a little baffled by "free" on a cruise! Ha ha! The hubby and I only sprung for an oceanview for our upcoming AK cruise, so the point for us is mute! It's our 1st cruise with HAL, so I was cautiously optimistic that maybe we would all receive a complimentary bottle...still giggling about that! =)

Has anyone noticed the lack of checking for bottles of wine in any of the European ports?

Last summer we were on the celebrity silhouette and bought a bottle while in one of the Greek ports. Although they were supposed to check and charge a corkage fee, the bottle went right through security and we were never charged a fee.

Has anyone noticed the lack of checking for bottles of wine in any of the European ports?

Last summer we were on the celebrity silhouette and bought a bottle while in one of the Greek ports. Although they were supposed to check and charge a corkage fee, the bottle went right through security and we were never charged a fee.

well we shall soon find out. We sail in 4 months. Mind you some European ports I don't give a hoot about - but the other ones I'd love to bring a bottle on. I'll be doing a live thread (internet permitting) so I will be sure to report. I might even let them take a bottle or two if they want. We'll have it when we get off and stay over in Athens :)

On Princess you can bring on one bottle of wine per person.

On my last cruise at ports I saw people bringing wine on board so asked about it.

I discovered that you can actually bring on one bottle per person at EVERY port. :D I don't know if that's policy.

Might be worth following up on HAL.

Never mind. Just found this on here.

Effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014, passengers will be limited to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation day only. A corkage fee of $20 will be levied for each bottle opened in any shipboard restaurant or bar.

Edited by sayaguru

Regarding the Princess wine policy, last year I did a cruise around the horn of South America with Princess. At Fort Lauderdale I embarked with a 5 liter box of wine and then resupplied at every port where I could find a convenient bodega or grocery store. I usually clanked back on board with 2-3 bottles in my backpack. Never a problem at all.

It was a real pleasure to try some of the local wines from the South American countries that we visited. Argentina and Chile had the best wines - IMHO.

Sure made for an enjoyable time!

What irritates me about the "new" HAL policy is they went from pretty darn lenient to really tough in one move. It will indeed be interesting to see if all ships at all ports will actually enforce the policy. Just like dress in MDR, policy bends with no rhyme or reason.:p