instanbul friday 8th august -1pm sat 9th august

Hi all

we will be docking in instanbul on 08.08.14 and leaving at 1pm on 9th august. we are struggling to come up with a plan for the day as we have never been before. We are going as a family, we are not big sight-seeing people so wouldnt choose to hop from mosque to mosque but we would know we would like to see the topkapi palace, the blue mosque and take a short bosphoras cruise ( 1.5 hours maybe)

has anybody got any advice? we would really appreciate your input and help with suggested itineries.

thank you :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Hi all

we will be docking in instanbul on 08.08.14 and leaving at 1pm on 9th august. we are struggling to come up with a plan for the day as we have never been before. We are going as a family, we are not big sight-seeing people so wouldnt choose to hop from mosque to mosque but we would know we would like to see the topkapi palace, the blue mosque and take a short bosphoras cruise ( 1.5 hours maybe)

has anybody got any advice? we would really appreciate your input and help with suggested itineries.

thank you :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

While you're up at Sultanahmet seeing the Topkapi/Harem and Blue Mosque don't miss the Hagia Sophia, and if you've time the Basilica Cistern. With my 24 hours in Istanbul split over 2 days I did this :

[YOUTUBE]if0ohSTZorQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]9KAZZh8GPRo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]o3J7NtagxkU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]omZsa5wW0UI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]fQwXt6a9ceM[/YOUTUBE]

Get your tickets for the Topkapi and Hagia Sophia ahead of your trip so you won't have to wait in line. All the best Tony

I agree with Tony's suggestions, and do watch his great videos for an idea of what to expect.

Istanbul is a wonderful city to DIY, it is colorful, a little exotic (but not scary) and the people are very friendly.

Do you have a full day on your first day in port there? If so, you should have no problem seeing the major highlights, which I would consider to be (in order):

• Haghia Sophia (truly an amazing building, don't miss the second story mosaics)
  • Blue Mosque
  • Topkapi Palace (the treasury and harem quarters are the best parts)
  • Spice Bazaar
  • Basilica Cistern

All of these, except the spice bazaar are located within a few blocks of each other. You can take a tram that runs along the main street parallel to the port to this area, called Sultanahmet. You will need some Turkish lira to purchase the tram tokens.

Thank you both for you advice. We have put together an itineriary. What do you think?

DAY 1

Hagia Sophia

Grand Bazaar

Spice Market

Stop for a break & drink at the Hotel Turkoman Roof Terrace

Bosphorus Cruise (1-2hrs)

Galata Tower

Back to the ship to watch the Bridge Light Show

DAY 2

Blue Mosque

Stroll through Byzantine Hippodrome

Return to the ship

I think you've maybe loaded too much into your first day.

The Blue Mosque doesn't take that long. Perhaps consider swapping it with Haghia Sophia, which takes a little longer.

If you have extra time on Day 2, there is a very nice shopping street next to the Blue Mosque, which is called the Arasta Bazaar -- nicer quality things in general than in the Grand Bazaar.

Did you give up on going to Topkapi? I don't see it on your list.

I've left Topkapi out after reading a few peoples reports saying this was their least favourite & to miss it out if we were not overly bothered. A few members of our group aren't particularly interested in sightseeing so I also wanted the day to involve a mixture of things too.

I read on 1 review that the blue mosque doesnt open until 2pm on a friday (they went on the same week as we are but last year) Do you know whether this is the case? This is why I didnt put down to visit on the full day

I've left Topkapi out after reading a few peoples reports saying this was their least favourite & to miss it out if we were not overly bothered. A few members of our group aren't particularly interested in sightseeing so I also wanted the day to involve a mixture of things too.

Fair enough. I enjoyed the Topkapi but Istanbul is so incredible that you can't dream of seeing everything anyway. All any of us can do is try to make the most the most of every minute and your schedule looks great. Plus of course you'll see other things that interest you along the way.

I read on 1 review that the blue mosque doesnt open until 2pm on a friday (they went on the same week as we are but last year) Do you know whether this is the case? This is why I didnt put down to visit on the full day

Okay, I agree Topkapi wasn't my favorite thing either. :) But then, I didn't think the Bosphorus cruise was all that, and many people enjoy it.

As for the Blue Mosque, so far as I know they are open except for prayer times. What you might be referring to is the Friday mid-day prayers, which are longer than usual. However, if you got there and saw the Blue Mosque first thing on Friday, you should be fine. Here's some additional info from the official page:

http://www.bluemosque.co/

Thank you so much for your help. I will take your advice cruisemom & swap the blue mosque around for the Haghia Sophia :)

Are the Spice Market & Grand Bazaar close together? or would I need to change the order I visit those on the intineary?

Also, would there be anything you would add to the intineary?

Thank You :)

Thank you both for you advice. We have put together an itineriary. What do you think?

DAY 1

Hagia Sophia

Grand Bazaar

Spice Market

Stop for a break & drink at the Hotel Turkoman Roof Terrace

Bosphorus Cruise (1-2hrs)

Galata Tower

Back to the ship to watch the Bridge Light Show

DAY 2

Blue Mosque

Stroll through Byzantine Hippodrome

Return to the ship

Drop the Bosphorus cruise. We know people that did it and were disappointed. If you are going to the Black Sea, you will see it anyway.

I would opt for Topkapi and its Harem and the Blue Mosque/Hippodrome on the same Day as Hagia Sophia. Those sites are all in proximity.

Go to the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market the second day. It takes some time to walk from Hagia to the Grand Bazaar.

Go to the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market the second day. It takes some time to walk from Hagia to the Grand Bazaar.

Although it does make some sense to do the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market together, I just wanted to point out that it is only about a 15-minute walk from Haghia Sophia to the Grand Bazaar, along Divan Yolu Caddesi (just follow the tram tracks).

You could take the tram also, but for the amount of time you'd probably spend waiting for the next tram to arrive, you could be there.

I also think I would drop the Bosporus Cruise. But I will admit I did not take one on my 2 day visit. But in my mind, considering the time you will have looking out at the water from your cruise ship while docked and during the time you will sail away, you will get a great feel for the bustling water activity and great sites of the shore. I don't think an afternoon Bosporus Cruise would add that much to the experience. If it were a night time cruise, perhaps. But I think there are better things to spend your 2 hours on.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Have you considered taking an evening/night Bosphorous cruise? You could see the bridge light show during that (instead of just on your ship tied to the dock) as well as other sights along the river. That'd free up more time during the day...

• 5 weeks later...
Although it does make some sense to do the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market together, I just wanted to point out that it is only about a 15-minute walk from Haghia Sophia to the Grand Bazaar, along Divan Yolu Caddesi (just follow the tram tracks).

You could take the tram also, but for the amount of time you'd probably spend waiting for the next tram to arrive, you could be there.

CruiseMom, do you live in Istanbul? I have lived in Turkey for 25 years and you seem to know so much about Istanbul!!

CruiseMom, do you live in Istanbul? I have lived in Turkey for 25 years and you seem to know so much about Istanbul!!

No, but I have visited several times (and am going back again this October. :) It is one of my favorite cities.