Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

I wonder when people will accept that specific brands were advertised as being available on the classic package.

And the poster now onboard said baileys was put back on only because there was angst onboard.

I'm not seeing Coronas and heinekens back on the list. Are they?

Celebrity are not responding to Facebook requests for info. That is not helping.

Edited by Pushka

It's likely that the reason there have been few Celebrity announcements is they haven't finalised, or organised, a list themselves of the changes.

However, it's clear that there have been changes, and people have already been impacted negatively. Why some people try to drown that out and criticise others is quite surprising.

I wonder when people will accept that specific brands were advertised as being available on the classic package.

And the poster now onboard said baileys was put back on only because there was angst onboard.

I'm not seeing Coronas and heinekens back on the list. Are they?

Celebrity are not responding to Facebook requests for info. That is not helping.

Yes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2042016

Wondering if anyone has a solution that would be an easy transition to the new Classic & Premium beverage packages, that would benefit both those that feel their brand and/or type of liquor is no longer included in the Classic package, as well allowing Celebrity to raise the prices of those items that were transferred from the Classic package over to the Premium package? I think people can pontificate and complain, but by offering a solution, a company might be open to doing something, especially if it is a win win for all involved. I have my thoughts, but I thought it best not to offer up my solution on here in case it is construed as a silly post, which I've been told not to post.

I'm sure that Celebrity would be very interested in well thought out ideas on how to solve this issue for everyone; not just one sided, like upgrading everyone to a Premium package.

Let's see if anyone will step up and suggest a solution to solve this issue, so it will be a win win for everyone.

Thanks for that link. The prices for eg Heineken beer vary according to the bar? It would be included in the classic in one bar but not in another bar. Is that right?

And Baileys has been taken off the official classic package according to a response that someone has received from Celebrity and which has been posted on another thread. It is specifically mentioned by celebrity as NOT bring available anymore.

Surely even the hardest celebrity fan has got to admit the communication from celebrity leaves much to be desired.

Edited by Pushka

Let's see if anyone will step up and suggest a solution to solve this issue, so it will be a win win for everyone.

Celebrity's duty to its shareholders require that they prioritise the company winning over customers winning.

However, it's the mismanagement and apparent subterfuge that has caused the problem. If everyone paid for the package, and given that no prices can be held indefinitely, Celebrity should have been quite open and announced that for cruises which depart from a specified date:

1. Beverage prices will increase by X%

2. The unit cost limit for beverages to be included in the packages will increase by X%

3. The package prices will increase by X%.

This would, of course, increase the cost of offering the Classic package free. The only way to avoid this, if they wish to is to offer a new re-named package as a replacement, with a different top limit.

Above all, any changes should be synchronised across all ships and web-sites. It's not rocket science to do that.

Stuart

OK NLH Arizona I'll give it a shot. (albeit it may be a shot of the cheapest plonk)

I certainly have no problem with the price of drinks going up. That is the nature of most products over time. If those drinks had been offered in a package what one would reasonably expect to happen as a result of the drinks prices within the package rising is for the package to rise proportionally but the drinks available with the package to be reasonably stable. Sure there may be different brands depending on regions as has been pointed out but the overall quality on price point of those drinks would stay reasonably static.

The issue here is those who have purchased or those who were given the package "for free" have seen across the board reductions in their options and quality of what is available and the issue is only being exasperated by the lack of clear information.

Those who purchase the packages now will also seemingly get less bang for their buck. This make no sense to me as the prices of the package have risen.

So for my solution.

1) Raise the price of each individual drink to what Celebrity think is the commercial value of each. No problem at all with this happening It happens everywhere I drink.

2) Raise the price of the packages to reflect the individual rises of the products BUT also set new price points for each drink in the package so that the old status quo of what is available in the package remains.

3) Leave those who were given or purchased the package at the old rates with the old (current at the time the received the offer) caps on each drink. This will result in many drinks sliding out of their package.

BUT

Give them the opportunity to pay the difference to the new price. Not so sure of the day to day price but lets go with. Old $49s to $56 so $7 per day to have the raised cap on each drink. If the want premium then they upgrade to the current premium price but again the standard of drinks in the premium should remain similar to what it has been in the past.

On top of that decide on your prices before on changes happen on board Celebrity and then link ALL your menus for each bar and ship to the package info on the websites. Keep all the menus on your server and so when anything changes it is immediately reflected in the link.

Not too hard to figure out at all even for an untrained railway worker like myself.

Cheers.

Edited by woodyren

Currently there are two different prices on celebrity's website for wine and beer depending on where you live. For me in Australia it is $6 beer and $8 wine. Someone in UK or US (not sure which) sees $10.50 wines and $7 beer. It really needs clarification.

As per this screenshot:

da5yjube.jpg

Edited by Pushka

I suspect this was in the planning for some time and that revenue projections are not being hit.

The prices were much higher with the packages included and this give forward visibility of revenue .

I suspect the projections were for a lot of people to upgrade to the premium as they attract quality customers that want the premium products.

The numbers doing this has not materialized turns out X customers are not so premium and happy with the offerings in the classic.

X have to do something, reduce the costs of the classic package by taking drinks out.

this also increases the values of the upgrade option in the hope more upgrade.

the increased prices are making X an expensive onboard experience.

promotions, still available in the UK under the world of extra deal.

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/world-of-extras.aspx

Choose a Complimentary Classic Alcoholic Beverage Package

Quench your thirst onboard your next cruise by opting for our Classic Alcoholic Beverage Package featuring a wide range of soft drinks, freshly-squeezed juices, premium coffees and teas, as well as all beers, spirits, cocktails and wines.

Why choose the drinks package?

If you plan on chilling out and relaxing with a drink in hand then we recommend selecting the Classic Alcoholic Beverage Package. Valued at up to $1500 on a 14 night sailing, this package offers fantastic value for money, not to mention an incredible array of beverages such Bacardi, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker Red, Corona, Beck's and Heineken. While those who prefer wine can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased onboard, the package is also great for non-alcoholic beverages with drinks like espresso, cappuccino, tonic, orange juice, Coke and more also included.

Classic alcoholic package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package featuring beers up to $7 per serving, wine by the glass up u[ to $10.50 per serving, and spirits and cocktails up to $9.50 per serving.

$56.35 per guest, per day

seems the web is in the process of being updated.

USA

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

*Starting from: 49.00 USD Per NIGHT

UK

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package featuring beers up to $7 per serving, wine by the glass up u[ to $10.50 per serving, and spirits and cocktails up to $9.50 per serving.

AUS

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

*Starting from: 55.86 AUD Per NIGHT

Germany

Classic Package

*Starting from: 39.69 EUR Per NIGHT

OK NLH Arizona I'll give it a shot. (albeit it may be a shot of the cheapest plonk)

I certainly have no problem with the price of drinks going up. That is the nature of most products over time. If those drinks had been offered in a package what one would reasonably expect to happen as a result of the drinks prices within the package rising is for the package to rise proportionally but the drinks available with the package to be reasonably stable. Sure there may be different brands depending on regions as has been pointed out but the overall quality on price point of those drinks would stay reasonably static.

The issue here is those who have purchased or those who were given the package "for free" have seen across the board reductions in their options and quality of what is available and the issue is only being exasperated by the lack of clear information.

Those who purchase the packages now will also seemingly get less bang for their buck. This make no sense to me as the prices of the package have risen.

So for my solution.

1) Raise the price of each individual drink to what Celebrity think is the commercial value of each. No problem at all with this happening It happens everywhere I drink.

2) Raise the price of the packages to reflect the individual rises of the products BUT also set new price points for each drink in the package so that the old status quo of what is available in the package remains.

3) Leave those who were given or purchased the package at the old rates with the old (current at the time the received the offer) caps on each drink. This will result in many drinks sliding out of their package.

BUT

Give them the opportunity to pay the difference to the new price. Not so sure of the day to day price but lets go with. Old $49s to $56 so $7 per day to have the raised cap on each drink. If the want premium then they upgrade to the current premium price but again the standard of drinks in the premium should remain similar to what it has been in the past.

On top of that decide on your prices before on changes happen on board Celebrity and then link ALL your menus for each bar and ship to the package info on the websites. Keep all the menus on your server and so when anything changes it is immediately reflected in the link.

Not too hard to figure out at all even for an untrained railway worker like myself.

Cheers.

Thanks, it is good to see that someone wants to try to offer a solution, rather than just sit and complain.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thanks, it is good to see that someone wants to try to offer a solution, rather than just sit and complain.

My suggestion was for Celebrity to give an OBC credit for a Premium upgrade to those who purchased the Classic before the changes. For bookings after the published change, no OBC needed.

Looking at the other thread where cruisenut has posted CURRENT menus from the Soltice, there are NO WINES that are included in the Classic alcohol packege unless the limit has been raised above the $8 shown on celebrity's website.

However, IF CELEBRITY HAS INCREASED THE LIMIT TO $9, there are about as many choices as before all this mess. In fact, many of the reds are identical to what we enjoyed in December 2012.

The BIG question remains as: What is the current limit per glass of wine on the classic package????????

Yes, IF! Nothing has been determined yet! Furthermore, some of us who aren't even cruising until next year are trying to help get this sorted! Evidence was produced today to demonstrate that at least 2 products people are in a tizzy about - Heineken and Corona - ARE STILL WITHIN THE CLASSIC PRICE!!!

The guy who originally claimed the almighty Baileys was off, later said it was on again! There is further reason to believe that the price clip for wine has actually risen by a dollar. I suggest you keep your powder dry for the moment - maybe even Johnny Walker himself may stride in in his RED jacket!

Well this has the appeance of "bait and switch" and if we were talking about cars, I imagine there would be a little less patience in the tone. But you are correct, lets wait and see the facts. I hope it's soon, we sail in one month.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Looking at the other thread where cruisenut has posted CURRENT menus from the Soltice, there are NO WINES that are included in the Classic alcohol packege unless the limit has been raised above the $8 shown on celebrity's website.

However, IF CELEBRITY HAS INCREASED THE LIMIT TO $9, there are about as many choices as before all this mess. In fact, many of the reds are identical to what we enjoyed in December 2012.

The BIG question remains as: What is the current limit per glass of wine on the classic package????????

From the UK web site

This could end up being a big mistake and the classic limits have been raised to still have the same drinks in it just someone forgot to tell the ships that bit just the drink price rise)

UK

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package featuring beers up to $7 per serving, wine by the glass up to $10.50 per serving, and spirits and cocktails up to $9.50 per serving.

Edited by insidecabin

My suggestion was for Celebrity to give an OBC credit for a Premium upgrade to those who purchased the Classic before the changes. For bookings after the published change, no OBC needed.

I agree, but it ain't gonns happen.

What I suspect (and believe has already occurred) is that the price per glass for wine, beer, cocktails, etc will increase on board. AND the price allowed under the package will also increase to cover SOME of these price adjustments. For example, the Classic allows up to $8 for a glass of wine. X increased those $8 offerings to $9 on board, but didn't change the package limits. If they simply increase the packafe limits to $9 per glass of wine, then wine drinkers are getting the same deal they were offered when they bought the cruise.

Likewise, I believe they will (already have) increased the package limit fir beer and alcohol based drinks.

FOOLOSHLY, what they haven't done is fixed their website to reflect this, made a public announcement of the adjustments on CC, FB or a press release or apologized for all this upsetting, unsettling confusion. Shame on them for that.

I recognize some specific brands and offerings will probably be price adjusted OUT of the classic package. For example, Baileys and Sambuca and certain brands of beer and alcohol. I doubt that Celebrity is going to offer a fix for that. Personally, I don't know why they don't simply allow classic package drinkers to pay the difference like they allow fir premium package. That would be a reasonable, though not perfect, fix for this stupid mess.

Previously sent emails on the matter to Celebrity but to date no reply.

Spoke with Celebrity UK in Southampton this afternoon. They are fully aware of the reactions on these boards. The gentleman I spoke with could not provide me with a list but asked me the drinks which were my favourites (obviously a list somewhere). He confirmed a drink was on the "Classic" package and was then obviously interupted by a colleague and promptly changed his mind. He explained matters were fluid and that they hoped to clarify matters by the weekend.

I agree, but it ain't gonns happen.

What I suspect (and believe has already occurred) is that the price per glass for wine, beer, cocktails, etc will increase on board. AND the price allowed under the package will also increase to cover SOME of these price adjustments. For example, the Classic allows up to $8 for a glass of wine. X increased those $8 offerings to $9 on board, but didn't change the package limits. If they simply increase the packafe limits to $9 per glass of wine, then wine drinkers are getting the same deal they were offered when they bought the cruise.

Likewise, I believe they will (already have) increased the package limit fir beer and alcohol based drinks.

FOOLOSHLY, what they haven't done is fixed their website to reflect this, made a public announcement of the adjustments on CC, FB or a press release or apologized for all this upsetting, unsettling confusion. Shame on them for that.

I recognize some specific brands and offerings will probably be price adjusted OUT of the classic package. For example, Baileys and Sambuca and certain brands of beer and alcohol. I doubt that Celebrity is going to offer a fix for that. Personally, I don't know why they don't simply allow classic package drinkers to pay the difference like they allow fir premium package. That would be a reasonable, though not perfect, fix for this stupid mess.

According to the UK website and per Kevinyork aboard Eclipse, they did indeed raise the limit for wine by $1 (before gratuities).

Previously sent emails on the matter to Celebrity but to date no reply.

Spoke with Celebrity UK in Southampton this afternoon. They are fully aware of the reactions on these boards. The gentleman I spoke with could not provide me with a list but asked me the drinks which were my favourites (obviously a list somewhere). He confirmed a drink was on the "Classic" package and was then obviously interupted by a colleague and promptly changed his mind. He explained matters were fluid and that they hoped to clarify matters by the weekend.

I received similar responses to my private messages to celebrity thru their Facebook page. Public messages and questions are unanswered. No matter how this ends up, the management team should be ashamed of the unnecessary turmoil they caused.

I received similar responses to my private messages to celebrity thru their Facebook page. Public messages and questions are unanswered. No matter how this ends up, the management team should be ashamed of the unnecessary turmoil they caused.

Has anyone tried Captains Club?

People are "complaining" because there is mass confusion. The websites state different prices for exactly the same thing. Celebrity have not responded and we would like an answer before we board in a few weeks. Hardly unreasonable, is it.

And given WE can't do anything about it from a corporate perspective then US coming up with a solution is hardly the point is it.

I have posted on Facebook and sent several emails and nada.

Edited by Pushka

People are "complaining" because there is mass confusion. The websites state different prices for exactly the same thing. Celebrity have not responded and we would like an answer before we board in a few weeks. Hardly unreasonable, is it.

And given WE can't do anything about it from a corporate perspective then US coming up with a solution is hardly the point is it.

I have posted on Facebook and sent several emails and nada.

I guess I always look at the optimistic side of things and feel that if one offers a solution, it might be something that the company has not thought of to make everyone happy and they see that you are willing to work with them and not just hurling accusations at them or call them names, as many posters on here have done and on Facebook. If I were Celebrity, I certainly wouldn't come on here or Facebook to answer any questions about the issue. I might, however, come on if I decide to compromise (which I don't believe that they really have to do) and announce a new program to help in the transition.

Sure. I understand NLH Arizona.

Hopefully there will be clarification soon. On LOS we had issues with our CC and each night had to go to guest services to sort it out. Not pleasant when you just want a glass of wine during dinner. When we got back to Australia I contacted our credit card and they said they had not refused any transactions. So it was an RCL ongoing issue with our card. It kind of spoiled part of the cruise being asked to go to guest services every time we tried buying something onboard. I just want to avoid such issues this time and thought I'd done that by selecting the Classic package. So I'm hoping that the beers Id told my partner we could have, and nice wines at dinner will actually happen.

Edited by Pushka

Do you know what I don't get with all the legal personnel Celebrity has it never dawned on one of the them to put something like this on the .pdf

The drinks on this list maybe subject to change, alteration or substitution depending on itinerary and future pricing structures

Would have saved a lot of aggravation

Actually one could argue that the disclaimer you listed would not be sufficient. Change, alteration or substitution implies that it would remain a similar value, with relatively minor changes in the individual items. The disclaimer like you referenced is more for a product replacement such as one brand by another similar brand.

A disclaimer that would cover a change in value between booking and use would need to be much stronger. Something more along the lines of the products available are determined by price at time of sailing. Substantial changes may occur between booking and use based upon on board price at the actual time of use.