Looking for information on Norwegian Star

beachbumsns

v

Looking for information please on the Norwegian Star or Norwegian ships in particular. We have not sailed Norwegian. Sailed mostly Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and one cruise on Princess. We always travel with another couple and like to have adjoining rooms or balconies that connect so we can visit back and forth. Can you please let me know if the balconies on the Norwegian Star can be opened up like they can on the Celebrity Soltice ships or the Princess ships? It makes it easier to pick a room next to each other if we know this in advance. That way we don't have to try to get a connecting stateroom. Also, I read in these threads about a dinner package that allows you to dine in the Speciality Restaurants each night. Do you need reservations for this and have the members of Cruise Critic found this a good option? Thank you for your help.

I love the Star. Was just on a few weeks ago.

We had a balcony room.. I do not think any of the balcony walls open. There is a divider. They do have connecting rooms though.

We made some reservations ahead of time, because we like to know our 1st two nights are planned. The rest of the nights we plan while on board. We never had a problem with that.

Loved the ship!!!! You are going to have a wonderful time!

• 10 months later...

Hello again,

I hope I am not stalking you with answers to your questions LOL, I just strated with CC and hope to be helpfull.

On our other NCL cruise we did 4 specialty restaurants and loved them. They were just really nice for a change. And yes we had to make reservations to guarantee a seat, espercially on the more popular spots. Once we showed up at the last minute with out and had to wait for a later sitting. They may sit you if they have an opening but it is a risk if it's a restaurant you really want to try. So it is best to go during early in the day to the reservation desk and try to book.

I think I saw that you wrote in an earlier post about the Canadian exchange rate. (I see you are from Nova Scotia )When I booked this trip last April (we are in Quebec) , I was given the choice of booking in Can or US currency. I always choose CAD and the exchange rate is locked in. Everything I purchase in advance before the sailing is at 7%, time of booking rate instead of the current 26%. Check your reservation and see if the exchange is better when you booked, then purchase through "My NCL" . You can check the exchange rate by looking at gifts and testing buying a 100 gift coupon, it will say 107 or 110 or what ever and that is the exchange rate of your purchases that NCL is giving you before sailing.

So we have booked all our restaurants, excursions and even bought $ gift coupons ahead of sailing at 7%. The moment we step on board and purchase anything the rate then becomes the current exchange rate. So we have done as much as possible before hand. I hope this helps, Gary

Edited by Gary2015

Do not count on the balcony dividers being opened. You can ask the room steward, but do not be upset when the answer is no.

Many of the balcony cabins (and other categories) connect. You can view these cabins by visting the deck plans on NCL.com for the Star. Connecting cabins are indicated by a little arrow between two cabins. See 8518 and 8520 below.

connecting-cabins.jpg

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/deck-plans

Edited by triptolemus

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I received a cancellation email from NCL and they confirmed our cruise is cancelled.

Double check yourself of course.

Yes NCL has confirmed:

They will refund, 50%off next cruise refund all flights and hotels:

Gary

This is what I received:

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 15-Day Panama Canal sailing from Los Angeles scheduled to depart on April 12, 2015. Travel partners are asked to forward this information to their guests.Because of a technical issue with Norwegian Star's ABB-manufactured azipod propulsion system this sailing has been cancelled. The ship will be out of service from April 12 to 26 to repair the azipod. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this cancellation and would like to thank you for your understanding.

All guests who are currently booked will receive a full refund of the cruise, as well as a 50% future cruise credit. Norwegian will also cover air and hotel change fees associated with this cancellation. A dedicated support line is available to provide assistance with questions and arrangements. Please call (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday. We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you and your guests aboard on a future cruise.

Sincerely,Vivian EwartVice President, Passenger Services

Edited by Gary2015

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I received a cancellation email from NCL and they confirmed our cruise is cancelled.

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 15-Day Panama Canal sailing from Los Angeles scheduled to depart on April 12, 2015. Travel partners are asked to forward this information to their guests.Because of a technical issue with Norwegian Star's ABB-manufactured azipod propulsion system this sailing has been cancelled. The ship will be out of service from April 12 to 26 to repair the azipod. Sincerely,Vivian EwartVice President, Passenger Services

Sorry to hear about your cruise on the Star being cancelled on such short notice. I hope you are able to move over to the Pearl PC sailing.

I wonder if the azipod repairs will be done in LA or Miami? The Star is currently on her way to Cabo on a Mexican Riviera run returning to LA on April 12th. Hopefully the unfinished dry dock work can be completed at the same time as the azipod system repairs. I guess the ship will be sailing to Miami with only crew and contractors on board.

Anyone have any updates?

Edited by herdingdogmom

Double check yourself of course.

Yes NCL has confirmed:

They will refund, 50%off next cruise refund all flights and hotels:

Gary

This is what I received:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 15-Day Panama Canal sailing from Los Angeles scheduled to depart on April 12, 2015. Travel partners are asked to forward this information to their guests.Because of a technical issue with Norwegian Star's ABB-manufactured azipod propulsion system this sailing has been cancelled. The ship will be out of service from April 12 to 26 to repair the azipod. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this cancellation and would like to thank you for your understanding.

All guests who are currently booked will receive a full refund of the cruise, as well as a 50% future cruise credit. Norwegian will also cover air and hotel change fees associated with this cancellation. A dedicated support line is available to provide assistance with questions and arrangements. Please call (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday. We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you and your guests aboard on a future cruise.

Sincerely,Vivian EwartVice President, Passenger Services

Wow.. that's kind of strange considering they were just working on the azipods in drydock last month...

Guess they shouldn't push the dry docking... some reviews when she was fresh out of dry dock say that they were still working on things as they were sailing on the next cruise full of passengers.

Guess they shouldn't push the dry docking... some reviews when she was fresh out of dry dock say that they were still working on things as they were sailing on the next cruise full of passengers.

Fine. But they certainly were NOT working on the Azipods while underway!

v

Looking for information please on the Norwegian Star or Norwegian ships in particular. We have not sailed Norwegian...Also, I read in these threads about a dinner package that allows you to dine in the Speciality Restaurants each night. Do you need reservations for this and have the members of Cruise Critic found this a good option? Thank you for your help.

Just got off the Star last week (4/5)

The dinner package is currently called the Ultimate Dining Package. There are five surcharge restaurants on board, the surcharge ranges from $20-$25pp. Some individual entrees have an additional surcharge of $10-$15. With the UDP there are no additional charges except your drinks and the new 18% gratuity charge. You can buy the Ultimate Beverage Package for your drinks ;)

Yes you do need to make reservations as far in advance as possible on-line or as soon as you board as the restaurants fill-up fast. I boarded around noon and headed straight for the Reservations Desk from the gangway and the line was already six deep. The line did not shorten until Muster Call. All I wanted to do was change my time.

All the restaurants were fully booked all seven nights. The Teppanyaki chef told us they only have four seatings a night and there are only 12 seats at the stove :eek:

Whether you buy the UDP or not, you should make advance reservations.