Recent SUN Cruisers

FierceAXBoi

Clarifications: The ships were designed for Costa, but NCL acquired them before 1999 when the builders went bankrupt. Costa has not recently declared bankruptcy--they were purchased by Carnival in 1996.

You are correct that NCL did not build these ships from scratch, but NCL publicizes Sun as being the first ship built for Freestyle. Since they are the ones claiming it was built for Freestyle, they don't get a break for that one!

The Sun was built for freestyle cruising and went into the water in 2001 (Oct) I believe, but she also was purchased from Costa as was the old Sky. The basic framing was complete thus she couldn't be exactly like her newer sisters, but the company was still able to finish her with freestyle in mind. Sometimes we all get our facts a little mixed up. BTW, I was under the impression NCL purchased the ships from Costa as that is what we were told on both our SKy sailing and our Sun sailing. I really don't know nor does it make a lot of difference. NMnita

If I remember correctly the Sky, (now PoAl) was much closer to being completed then the Sun. NCL was able to make many more changes like larger/more balcony cabins, additional suites/mini suites and changes in the pool area. NCL has gone this route for many years. Actually the SeaWard, (Norwegian Sea) was built to specs of the shipyard and not NCL. The Dream and Wind were built to NCL design, the Star, Dawn, Jewel and Pride of Hawaii are actually Star cruise lines design. Most people remember that Spirit was moved to NCL from Star cruises. NCL bought the Majesty from a failing cruise line and stretched her. The Crown once operated for an NCL offspring and has been in and out of the NCL fleet for years.

There is no extra charge and I would call them heavier than appitizers, but regardless they are very good. Someone help me remember the name of the bar? Was it Los Rumbles or something like that? NMnita
You were very close, Nita. It's Las Ramblas. We didn't get a chance to go there when we were on the Sun last year, but we definitely won't miss it next May.

NCL had some bad advice when they designed the several ships that have inside/outside dining... The Sun, The Aloha, and others... Why? Because the weather is unpredicable at best and cold in some climates and hot in others...:(

Could we agree that the Jewel, NCL,s Newest Cruise Ship, has an outside buffet connected to the inside buffet? Then NCL has a new ship that they designed that has inside/outside Buffets! My original statement is why does NCL feel that that is what is best for the folks that cruise on their ships...? Where do they get their advice? A fleet of ships that have inside/outside buffets that sail all over the world in all kinds of hot and cold tempertures does not make much sense to me....:confused:

How many other cruise lines have this inside/outside buffet dining on their ships?

My original statement is why does NCL feel that that is what is best for the folks that cruise on their ships...? Where do they get their advice? A fleet of ships that have inside/outside buffets that sail all over the world in all kinds of hot and cold tempertures does not make much sense to me.
All of NCL's ships sail in hot temperature destinations at some stage each year, don't they? And isn't that exactly when an outside buffet would be ideal?

The outside buffets certainly seem very popular when I'm on board.

NCL had some bad advice when they designed the several ships that have inside/outside dining... The Sun, The Aloha, and others... Why? Because the weather is unpredicable at best and cold in some climates and hot in others...:(

Could we agree that the Jewel, NCL,s Newest Cruise Ship, has an outside buffet connected to the inside buffet? Then NCL has a new ship that they designed that has inside/outside Buffets! My original statement is why does NCL feel that that is what is best for the folks that cruise on their ships...? Where do they get their advice? A fleet of ships that have inside/outside buffets that sail all over the world in all kinds of hot and cold tempertures does not make much sense to me....:confused:

How many other cruise lines have this inside/outside buffet dining on their ships?

Actually every cruiseship that I have been on (2 NCL and 3 non-NCL) had indoor-outdoor buffet areas. Personally I love the outdoor buffet area (but then I only cruise in 'warm' areas).

If I remember correctly the Sky, (now PoAl) was much closer to being completed then the Sun. NCL was able to make many more changes like larger/more balcony cabins, additional suites/mini suites and changes in the pool area. NCL has gone this route for many years. Actually the SeaWard, (Norwegian Sea) was built to specs of the shipyard and not NCL. The Dream and Wind were built to NCL design, the Star, Dawn, Jewel and Pride of Hawaii are actually Star cruise lines design. Most people remember that Spirit was moved to NCL from Star cruises. NCL bought the Majesty from a failing cruise line and stretched her. The Crown once operated for an NCL offspring and has been in and out of the NCL fleet for years.
Mark, yes, the Sky was much futher along, that is why the cabins are smaller on the Sky, now POA and yes, NCL has purchased ships from various other lines. That is why, until recently they didn't have much in the way of sister ships. In some ways I liked it and other ways I am happier with the way things are being handled now. I do consider the Star, Dawn, Jewel, etc NCL ships from scratch however. NMNita

You were very close, Nita. It's Las Ramblas. We didn't get a chance to go there when we were on the Sun last year, but we definitely won't miss it next May.

I knew it was something like, I can't spell and I only get parts of words right; some of it is due to being slightly dyslexic and partly due to carelessness and being a little scatter brained along the way. Thanks for letting me know, now if I can just remember it? Whatever be sure to visit that place and enjoy!!! LOL

Mark, yes, the Sky was much futher along, that is why the cabins are smaller on the Sky, now POA and yes, NCL has purchased ships from various other lines. That is why, until recently they didn't have much in the way of sister ships. In some ways I liked it and other ways I am happier with the way things are being handled now. I do consider the Star, Dawn, Jewel, etc NCL ships from scratch however. NMNita

I thought the Star was intended for Star cruise lines but a decision was made to send her to NCL during the building process??

I too liked the indvidual ships of NCL's fleet. As the Majesty, Crown, Dream and Wind leave for the Orient we will be left with less choices, but better, larger sisterships.

3 of NCL's first 4 ships were close sisters. The Starward, Southward and Skyward still sail today in other countries.

I completely dissagree. The return of the Great Outdoors on the Jewel is a great addition. It is one feature from the Sun that was not in the Star/Dawn. It is a wonderful spot not only to eat but to spend time during the day.

Even on the Transatlantic this space was used almost everyday. It is out of the wind for the most part. Days you could not use the pool area or sun decks you could sit out in this area.

More importantly it takes pressure off the Garden Cafe making the breakfast rush much less of a zoo. Even if I got food indoors I ended up eating outdoors when ever we could.

As far as I am concerned the Great Outdoors and the redesgned pool area are the two major improvements from the Dawn. The addition of the Courtyard area is nice but only for a few passengers.

To top it off there is a nice bar and a great bartender - Roberto :D

1606350057_JewelTARoberto.jpg.10acd27f359b24257731b9a3f7def659.jpg

We were on the Pride of Aloha last year in Hawaii and did use the outside buffet area from time to time... We found the small amount of seating in the indoor buffet was usuaully near full and crowded so yes the out door area was nice to have available... I believe the out door buffet does serve a purpose but not for everyone.... \

When I read on CC that some passengers find the limited amount seating in the indoor buffet it indicates to me that they would prefer more inside seating... I have never read of anyone saying the opposite... We need more outside seating? The ouside seating area for the buffet is too small, etc.???? We really enjoyed being able to eat outside in the buffet rather than in the air conditioned inside buffets.... ;)

Again I ask.... What other ships and cruise lines have the outside buffets? Is eating outside preferred on must cruise ships...Is that a trend for cruise lines to have smaller inside buffet areas and equal or larger outside buffets?

Again I ask.... What other ships and cruise lines have the outside buffets? Is eating outside preferred on must cruise ships...Is that a trend for cruise lines to have smaller inside buffet areas and equal or larger outside buffets?

Lets see the grandmother of the current cruise industry - The Norway had a great outdoor buffet. The Wind and Dream do. Now the POAL, Sun, Spirit, POAM, Jewel do. Come to think of it not many without the space except the Star/Dawn but they do have outdoor eating at the Blue Lagoon and Topsiders.

Nobody is saying make the inside smaller just the option of eating outdoors IMHO removes the cafeteria from the buffet and adds a wonderful space to enjoy a book or quiet drink during the day away from the madness of the pool area.

The Jewel has learned from the past. The inside area is much larger then the Sun/POAL with additioal seating in Mama's inside. Never felt the crush common on the Sun in Alaska. The use of island stations instead of buffet lines helps the flow as well. It lets passengers dive in grab something and get out of the way.

It is the best of both worlds both iside and out.

Lets see the grandmother of the current cruise industry - The Norway had a great outdoor buffet. The Wind and Dream do. Now the POAL, Sun, Spirit, POAM, Jewel do. Come to think of it not many without the space except the Star/Dawn but they do have outdoor eating at the Blue Lagoon and Topsiders.

Nobody is saying make the inside smaller just the option of eating outdoors IMHO removes the cafeteria from the buffet and adds a wonderful space to enjoy a book or quiet drink during the day away from the madness of the pool area.

The Jewel has learned from the past. The inside area is much larger then the Sun/POAL with additioal seating in Mama's inside. Never felt the crush common on the Sun in Alaska. The use of island stations instead of buffet lines helps the flow as well. It lets passengers dive in grab something and get out of the way.

It is the best of both worlds both iside and out.

Quite agree with all you say Shoreguy.

I loved the Outdoor Cafe on the Sun, there are even tables above outside Las Ramblas. It was something we missed on the Dawn, (although we tended to have a room service coffee, toast & cereals on our balcony).

You can't beat having a hearty breakfast out on the open deck either enjoying the view in port or at sea.

I don't see this as a new thing. Most of the ships we have been on are fairly old hand downs from other crusie lines RCCL Song of America became Sunbird, now Thomson Destiny, Ditto Carousel, Thomson Spirit (ex HAL) and Emerald. They all have extensive outside dining areas.

The Sun had it right, I loved that ship,also enjoyed the omelette/ Indian/ Carvery stations.

Much preferred it to the Dawn.

When I read on CC that some passengers find the limited amount seating in the indoor buffet it indicates to me that they would prefer more inside seating... I have never read of anyone saying the opposite... We need more outside seating? The ouside seating area for the buffet is too small, etc.????

I think that there aren't requests for more outside seating largely because there is usually no shortage of outside seating space somewhere - if you can't find somewhere near the outside buffet, then there is almost always somewhere near the pool.

But there are plenty of times when the Great Outdoors seating area is completely full and you have to wait for a table to come free. This applied to the Norway as well as the Sun (the two NCL ships I'm most familiar with). On the HAL ships I've been on (Maasdam, Statendam and Amsterdam), there has always been a good takeup of outdoor tables even though the buffet itself was indoors.

On the HAL ships I've been on (Maasdam, Statendam and Amsterdam), there has always been a good takeup of outdoor tables even though the buffet itself was indoors.

The only real difference is HAL's outside eating area is in front of the buffet instead of to the rear of it like NCL. I prefer the aft deck location on NCL.

Actually, in my opinion, it's a good thing to have "differences" on the NCL fleet; remember the boo-hooing in the 80's with the midsize GM clones Celebrity/Century/Ciera/6000? Can you think of any other cruise-line that has more diverse/different fleet?

I actually look forward to going on a ship that isn't "cookie-cutter", and finding the pool has moved, the buffet is gone, or there's an extra deck tacked on somewhere.

Let's cut to the chase here... have any of us really NEVER found a place to sit down and eat on board?

Regarding the cruise director... if it's Linda Millikan, she was awesome last winter on the Spirit as their assistant cruise director... AWESOME lady! Can someone verify she really is on board???

Thanks for the contributions on the Sun, this will be my first "large ship" cruise on NCL in 3 weeks. I'm a bit anxious at how the crew/passenger relations are? For a bit of inside information, a friend from NCL management told me that the ship with the best OVERALL reviews was one many of us dogged for cabin size: the Sea. However the Sea had glowing reports about her crew... which I would agree with 200%. Let's not forget that she was also one of NCL's "oddball" ships! Hopefully her replacement will live up to that billing!

Regarding the cruise director... if it's Linda Millikan, she was awesome last winter on the Spirit as their assistant cruise director... AWESOME lady! Can someone verify she really is on board???
I have this second hand, but she was on the Sun at the start of the 18 September 2005 cruise. However, the person from whom I have this information thinks that she either transferred to another ship or went on leave during the course of the cruise. Leaving halfway through a cruise didn't sound right to me, but that's what I've been told.

Thanks for the contributions on the Sun, this will be my first "large ship" cruise on NCL in 3 weeks. I'm a bit anxious at how the crew/passenger relations are?

Hi,

Start looking forward to a fabulous trip! Based on our experience with other lines, which we always felt were perfectly fine, the Norwegian Sun staff and crew FAR AND AWAY exceeds any competition in service, professionalism and hospitality. We simply could not have asked for anything more from the crew. These people are working like dogs and trying 110% all the time. They are very proactive in assessing passenger needs in any given venue and offering help. You don't have to go searching for these guys - they magically materialize at just the right time without ever seeming obtrusive.

Our only concern was the beastly manners of some of our fellow passengers (not exclusive to this cruise). What is it about salt air that makes people feel so far above the crew that they treat them in ways they (hopefully) never would treat their grocer, drycleaner, barrista or waitress back home? Shameful considering how GENUINELY friendly this crew was.

FYI - Simon Murray is currently the Cruise Director on the Sun. I understand that Linda debarked in Vancouver on September 25 (not in the middle of the previous week) and is now 'floater staff' to cover vacation time for CD's on other ships. It was actually mentioned somewhere else on this board, but maybe not in this thread. I think you will like Simon - he is a young Austrailian guy; not terribly agressive but very approachable.

Bon Voyage,

Annette

FYI - Simon Murray is currently the Cruise Director on the Sun. I understand that Linda debarked in Vancouver on September 25 (not in the middle of the previous week) and is now 'floater staff' to cover vacation time for CD's on other ships.
Sounds much more like it - thanks! I've never known a CD disembark half way through a cruise, and can't imagine it save in a screaming emergency.

Las Ramblas is a wonderful boulevard in Barcelona Spain. As the name implies it is a place to stroll and take in the views (which are varied) and eat, drink and be merry. Tapas bars a big in Spain and the concept is to try a little bit of everything. They are meant to be a meal but instead of the usual USA meal of meat, starch, vegetable it's a variation of items you like. I love the concept and love Spain and the food. I can only hope the tapas bar on the Sun is half as good.

Didn't get a chance to try it (:( I LOVE sangria); just too many choices for a 5 day sailing and the tapas is only served in the evening. I was through the room a few times though (bar is open all day). It's very attractive. I'm sure you will like it.

Have a good trip,

Annette

I'm not that familiar with the Sun. I atleast want an oceanview, but can someone tell me the cabin size differences in balconies or small suites on the Sun? Any tips on good rooms to book? which stateroom category do you have to go to to get a tub? How large are the balconies?

Thanks for any help on this.

Archived