Victoria, BC Help?

sabrefan

It will take you 4 hours one way to walk - it is about 19k or 11 miles from the city to the gardens. Given your limited time in port, you might want to consider renting a car, taking the bus, take a cab or even rent a bike.

Not possible walking. It is about a 45 minute drive if the traffic is nice to you. If the ship arrives late in the day, you may not get all that long in the gardens. Mind you by that time, it should be light at night until 9:30 pm. Our days are definitely getting longer.

If you don't want to drive or take a tour to the Gardens, there is a nice walk around the harbour and the city close to the harbour is quite quaint and interesting to walk around. If you enjoy museums, our BC Museum which is walkable to, is quite interesting.

Will be sailing on Regatta on the June 7th cruise from Vancouver to Seattle. Just wondering walking distance from cruise port in Victoria to Butchart Gardens?

Sorry, not even close. If I remember correctly it is probably 30 to 40 minutes via car and 14 miles per the Buchart Gardens web site from the harbor to Buchart Gardens.

We are on the sailing after you and both of our itineraries have us arriving in Vic at noon and leaving At 11pm. That gives us more than enough time to both enjoy the Gardens and the evening venues in Victoria itself. I am just about to book with CVS (not who you think) Tours for Butchart. You have to make your way from ship to the princess Emerald downtown where they pick you up for transport. They do have some tours that include pickup from our port but we are not arriving in time for that. Bus fare and admission to Gardens approx 55...oops USD or CND? Didn't look that up. We are taking CVS then planning on an evening in Victoria just enjoying the night life then early back on board to pack.

Driving time to Buchart is 30-40 minutes each way. The quickest, cheapest and most convenient way to see it is this: partner up with another couple, take a cab and buy your tickets at the gate. For the return there should be cabs waiting, or you can arrange for one to pick you up at an appointed time.

For four people I think this will be better and the same or less cost than an organized tour or a bus trip.

(I grew up in Victoria, so know the area pretty well.)

Will be sailing on Regatta on the June 7th cruise from Vancouver to Seattle. Just wondering walking distance from cruise port in Victoria to Butchart Gardens?

Some folks on the roll call are looking to partner for private tours

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is a long way definitely not walkable.

On June 15 they start keeping the gardens open until 11 PM. I think you'll be there on the 16th! The gardens are lit at night and are spectacular. When we were there in 2011, one ticket covered all day and evening. We were on an RV trip so had transportation, but I remember seeing public buses. I just checked, and there is public transit via bus route 75. The http://butchartgardens.com/visit/locationButchart Gardens website has a link to .pdf file with full transportation details. Click on Cruise Ship Passengers.

Edited by hondorner

We are on the sailing after you and both of our itineraries have us arriving in Vic at noon and leaving At 11pm. That gives us more than enough time to both enjoy the Gardens and the evening venues in Victoria itself. I am just about to book with CVS (not who you think) Tours for Butchart. You have to make your way from ship to the princess Emerald downtown where they pick you up for transport. They do have some tours that include pickup from our port but we are not arriving in time for that. Bus fare and admission to Gardens approx 55...oops USD or CND? Didn't look that up. We are taking CVS then planning on an evening in Victoria just enjoying the night life then early back on board to pack.

you lucky dogs!! Wish we would be there with you!! Enjoy!!! Hey...we need to get on the same cruise...at the same time...soon!!! LuAnn

We were in Victoria last year with Danish friends on a land trip. The Gardens were a highlight. (I'd been there in 1964 but not since.) If you can get there, it's certainly worth the trip.

We had a few days in Victoria, I don't know that I'd try to do the Gardens on a port call but it sounds like plenty of people have done so.

Close to the Butchart Gardens (assuming you have a car) are the Butterfly Gardens, also well worth a stop. It's much smaller, but the butterflies are something else.

We spent a few nights in Victoria which gave us more time to make leisurely trips here and there. But Victoria is a wonderful place to visit.

I have some photos I can share of both if anyone is interested. Just email me.

Mura