Rhine Castles - scenic middle Rhine gorge

banditoo

I have been researching for our Rhine cruise next year and have read a few other comments by prior cruisers that they wish they had done some prior research on the scenic middle Rhine section noted for the castles. I thought I would share some of the resource info that I have found in case others want to prepare in advance too.

Just today, I received 'Castles On The Rhine; From Mainz to Cologne' a lovely thin full colour booklet ordered for $4.00 USD on Amazon.com. Easy reading, lightweight with great pictures and descriptions of the main castles.

For those of you who love podcasts or audio tours, Rick Steves has a great free down loadable audio tour and printable map of the middle Rhine section. The audio tour and map follows the km markings along the river so it is easy to move between tracks to follow along with the km markings before, during or after the cruise. http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/austria-germany

Another website that has a great map, pictures and description of each castle is http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php?id=35&L=3 You can click on the map on the names or on the list beside the map for pictures and descriptions of each castle.

so happy to get this information, thanks

I have managed to see a couple of Rick Steve's programs about the cities we might visit and a short segment of the Danube.

Banditoo,

did you buy a used copy of Castles on the Rhine I can't find it offered new on Amazon.

Yes, I bought a used one that said good quality. It is immaculate quallity...not one little evidence that it has ever been used. I believe it shipped from Florida and it arrived quickly. The book is glossy paperback, calendar thin but smaller than a standard wall calendar. Beautiful pictures, many full page. Will be very easy to take along on the trip. Make sure to order the English version if you order one unless you read German!

Edited by banditoo

Hi Betty,

Just off this cruise 1 day and had a fabulous time.

I can tell you that the Middle Rhine cruise day was a fabulous day. Actually, the entire cruise was fabulous.

IMHO most of us seemed to just enjoy "castle spotting" while drinking, eating, and socializing, relaxing and having a grand time, relaxing after a few days of often frenetic and early rising excursions. It was one of the best afternoons of the cruise.

You might want to keep in mind that many of these castles were of little historic importance, just owned by"robber barons" looking to collect tolls from people trying to transport goods on the Rhine. Great fun to spot and admire. The cruise director pointed out the ones that had significance.

As a former big ship cruiser ,I was so thrilled with this Viking cruise on the Guilveig. It is a totally different and incredible experience .( You actually helped me get my sea legs on CC over 2 years ago while I was tentatively learning how to plan my own excursions for our Celebrity Adriatic cruise and were a big help to me).

This was such a different experience, much more friendly. relaxing, and fun.

This was my 4 th European cruise and probably my best. I know you will have an amazing time!!

Have a wonderful time!!

Robin

Hi Betty,

Just off this cruise 1 day and had a fabulous time.

I can tell you that the Middle Rhine cruise day was a fabulous day. Actually, the entire cruise was fabulous.

IMHO most of us seemed to just enjoy "castle spotting" while drinking, eating, and socializing, relaxing and having a grand time, relaxing after a few days of often frenetic and early rising excursions. It was one of the best afternoons of the cruise.

You might want to keep in mind that many of these castles were of little historic importance, just owned by"robber barons" looking to collect tolls from people trying to transport goods on the Rhine. Great fun to spot and admire. The cruise director pointed out the ones that had significance.

As a former big ship cruiser ,I was so thrilled with this Viking cruise on the Guilveig. It is a totally different and incredible experience .( You actually helped me get my sea legs on CC over 2 years ago while I was tentatively learning how to plan my own excursions for our Celebrity Adriatic cruise and were a big help to me).

This was such a different experience, much more friendly. relaxing, and fun.

This was my 4 th European cruise and probably my best. I know you will have an amazing time!!

Have a wonderful time!!

Robin

Great to hear from you again Robin! Sounds like you had a wonderful Rhine cruise and I am looking forward to ours in 2015! My love of cruise critic has only gotten better over the years. I even use cruise critic to plan my land trips! Such a great network of fellow travelers and info sharing!:D

Just found another great site with info (map and descriptions) of the Rhine castles. Also links to the 3 part Great Castles of Europe series that covers the Rhine. The videos include some interesting history on more than just castles...way of life, economy, wine trade etc.

http://www.loreley-info.com/eng/rhein-rhine/castles.php

Thank you for these links. I have the Castles on the Rhine book you mentioned and it has some beautiful pictures. I now just have to figure out which ones we will actually sail past on our cruise. I just went to the Rick Steves site and downloaded four podcasts as well as printed out the maps to accompany them. We are spending a few days in Amsterdam before hand and I found the 3 walking tours he had for there. Time to buckle down and research this trip as we leave in less than 2 weeks.

• 2 months later...

Hi Robin. We will be traveling the Rhine on the Gullveig at the end of August. Would love any further info you can share about the Gullveig and any of the daily excursions. I'm having some back problems these days and wondering about how strenuous some of the walks are. Would appreciate any info as this is our first river cruise.

You can do my research any day! We are first time River Cruisers and want to see castles and it will be nice to be able to know which is which. I don't know what I'd do w/o CC and all the great information I get from other CCers.

You can do my research any day! We are first time River Cruisers and want to see castles and it will be nice to be able to know which is which. I don't know what I'd do w/o CC and all the great information I get from other CCers.

Most welcome! I love researching and planning for travel and always happy to share as I also get so much help and info from others on travel forums. I agree that CC is great! :D