Wine openers onboard

Alright, so this is my first cruise on Royal since the policy on wine has changed. My question is pretty simple, where is one the get a hold of a wine opener to enjoy their drink on their balcony rather then pay the corkage fee? Should I bring one? Do I simply ask my cabin steward?

Alright, so this is my first cruise on Royal since the policy on wine has changed. My question is pretty simple, where is one the get a hold of a wine opener to enjoy their drink on their balcony rather then pay the corkage fee? Should I bring one? Do I simply ask my cabin steward?

You can bring one, or get one from room service or a bar or your stateroom attendant. We bring a small one we got from room service once.

Edited by clarea

Ask your Steward and keep the RCCL Corkscrew as a souvenir. Your Steward can also source a decanter for a nice bottle;)

I am sure your steward can get you one (as well as glasses and/or a wine bucket with ice). We always bring a cheap one, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you bring an opener, make sure it does not have a sharp blade, i.e., a foil cutter, as this may be confiscated. The type they give out on board is the T-type, where the screw comes out of a hollow plastic handle that slips through a hole at the top of the screw. I kept the one I got on the first cruise where I brought wine and just bring that one.

Our cabin steward told us to request an ice bucket and corkscrew from room service, which seemed a bit odd to us that he wouldn't just take care of it. We asked for wineglasses, and the service on that was spotty, as were the glasses. :)

In the end, we just kept getting clean glasses at one of the bars (and that way you can request proper red or white wine glasses), and leaving the dirty ones to be taken away.

Or if you don't want to wait for someone to bring you a souvenir corkscrew, just pop over to any of the bars. They have them as well.

... Or bring wine with a screw cap. :-)

Edited by TBone2K

I got a corkscrew and glasses on Oasis without even asking, but did not manage to get one on Grandeur last week even after asking. On unpacking, I found the one from the last cruise still in my bag, so we ended up not needing it. BUT those corkscrews, while a great souvenir, are not the easiest to use...I recommend bringing your own (without a blade, as others mentioned). I know (thanks to someone here) that there is one available on Amazon that folds up nicely and does not include a knife.

I just had a vision of a tall, gorgeous, hunk showing up at my cabin door saying... Hello, I'm the official wine opener... here is your souvenir cork screw!! Now... back to my real life... I need a cruise!!

I just had a vision of a tall, gorgeous, hunk showing up at my cabin door saying... Hello, I'm the official wine opener... here is your souvenir cork screw!! Now... back to my real life... I need a cruise!!

How high a level do you have to reach for THAT perk?? ;)

I take my sommelier knife and corkscrew, just don't take it in your carry on if your flying. I'd be amazed if the cruise ship security has a problem with it because of a little one inch foil cutting blade. On our last cruise it was in my carry on and went right on through without the guys at the scanner even batting an eye at it. I'd estimate that the steak knife you get at dinner is more dangerous and a bigger threat than the little foil cutter on your corkscrew.

I take my sommelier knife and corkscrew, just don't take it in your carry on if your flying. I'd be amazed if the cruise ship security has a problem with it because of a little one inch foil cutting blade. On our last cruise it was in my carry on and went right on through without the guys at the scanner even batting an eye at it. I'd estimate that the steak knife you get at dinner is more dangerous and a bigger threat than the little foil cutter on your corkscrew.

You got lucky, they saw our corkscrew with the 1" knife blade in our carry on and took it away. Security gave us a receipt and we were able to pick it up upon debarkation in the terminal.

I bought an inexpensive cork screw and just leave it in my cruise/trip "stuff" since we always bring wine on our trips.

You got lucky, they saw our corkscrew with the 1" knife blade in our carry on and took it away. Security gave us a receipt and we were able to pick it up upon debarkation in the terminal.

I don't think it was luck, it was on the "suggested to bring" packing list. It was a different line, maybe the person who wrote the policy there just considered like I did that there would be many far more dangerous items already onboard if someone had ill intentions.