Where to eat included in Price?

Last cruise 5 yr ago always ate in Main dining room with our group. But, if we don't eat in the MDR what are our other choices (that we wouldn't have to pay extra)??

We are scheduled for 8 PM seating in MDR - assigned that at time of booking in March. If we can't get this changed may want to try some other options so we can eat early -- what are they - and where on the ship?? Volendam sailing - Alaska

Included: The Lido buffet is available for meals [check on the HAL board for specific hours]. Some ships have a new Dive-In Burger place that does not have a fee - but not very late hours IIRC, then there is room service [tip for server] especially if someone has a balcony.

ETA - the Lido and Dive-in if available are next to each other on the Lido deck. You'd have to go to HAL website to look at deck plans - I don't know what number level it is, just that its the Lido deck

Edited by Mytime2014

Most ships now have an 'any time dining' when you go whenever you want between 5:30 & 9:30. You sit with different people every night, have a different waiter at different table each night.

My husband and I do not like this at all. This is all NCL has and that's why we still didn't like NCL last March!

If you do not like your tablemates just ask the maître'd to change your table in the MDR and he will.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Most ships now have an 'any time dining' when you go whenever you want between 5:30 & 9:30. You sit with different people every night, have a different waiter at different table each night.

My husband and I do not like this at all. This is all NCL has and that's why we still didn't like NCL last March!

If you do not like your tablemates just ask the maître'd to change your table in the MDR and he will.

But HAL also has traditional dining, so you are forced to do any time dining, as I think you may be on NCL.

But HAL also has traditional dining, so you are forced to do any time dining, as I think you may be on NCL.

Just to clarify: HAL has both traditional set dining and "any-time" dining options, both included in the fare, as well as extra fare options which have "any time" scheduling. This is the line the OP is on. NCL only has "any-time" dining at several restaurants to choose from, some included in the base fare and some as extra fare.

Edited by boogs

???? Huh? Room service is available in all cabins, no? Tip is de rigueur in all cabins, no? I'm confused...

Yes, room service is available to all cabins. Having a balcony is just extra special. Tipping is common, but not required.

I meant - if you have a group, room service on a balcony would be a good option.

The tip was the exception to the included in fees

sometimes, my eyes see what my brain is thinking and often that's not what comes out my fingers!!!

If we are scheduled for MDR and feel like eating at 6 pm on a particular night in the MDR area == is there a problem with making a reservation for 6 p.m. and just not show up at 8 MDR regular eating time??

Yes, there is a problem, as the seats are assigned at 6pm, just as they are at 8pm. If you are talking about changing for just one night to Open seating, the better choice is to just skip the MDR that night, and eat in the Lido, or at one of the pay restaurants.

If we are scheduled for MDR and feel like eating at 6 pm on a particular night in the MDR area == is there a problem with making a reservation for 6 p.m. and just not show up at 8 MDR regular eating time??

If you skip MDR be sure to let your tablemates or waiter know so they don't wait for you..

"Free" options vary among different ships, even within the same line. For example, some smaller Royal Caribbean ships might only have the usual 3 for free -- MDR, buffet, and room service (RCI charges late night room service). But the Oasis or Allure have lots of choices. There does seem to be a trend towards more "pay additional" dining places on all mainstream lines. The Navigator of the Seas recently added 2 more pay places (and took away some public areas to make room for these).

Edited by Jimnbigd