4days in Rome ..what to do

Minoushka

There's more to do in Rome & the surrounding area than can be done even in a month, so you'll still have to make choices. I suggest you get a good guidebook and read up on what interests you the most.

Here are a few things that spring to my mind:

• The Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill (might be good to look for a small walking tour to get the most out of it)
  • Borghese Gallery -- for those who love Baroque sculpture & paintings, a must
  • Capitoline Museum (really two museums, also has great views over the Forum)
  • If you're there on a Sunday, go out to the old Roman road -- the Appia Antica and walk along it. You can visit the catacombs, a villa, and some Roman tombs
  • San Clemente church (near the Colosseum), a fascinating time capsule built on 3 levels dating to 3 different time periods
  • Castel Sant'Angelo (Hadrian's tomb)
  • Santa Maria Maggiore
  • Museum of the Imperial Forums/Trajan's Market
  • National Museum (actually 4 separate museums, but the one near Termini is fascinating)
  • Baths of Caracalla
  • Spanish Steps (and shopping area around it, very luxe)
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Piazza Navona
  • Pantheon

(to name just a few -- there are many more churches worth visiting)

And for daytrips outside the city consider Ostia Antica (like Pompeii), Tivoli, or Orvieto.

There's more to do in Rome & the surrounding area than can be done even in a month, so you'll still have to make choices. I suggest you get a good guidebook and read up on what interests you the most.

• The Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill (might be good to look for a small walking tour to get the most out of it)
  • If you're there on a Sunday, go out to the old Roman road -- the Appia Antica and walk along it. You can visit the catacombs, a villa, and some Roman tombs
  • San Clemente church (near the Colosseum), a fascinating time capsule built on 3 levels dating to 3 different time periods
  • Santa Maria Maggiore
  • National Museum (actually 4 separate museums, but the one near Termini is fascinating)
  • Baths of Caracalla
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Piazza Navona
  • Pantheon

And for daytrips outside the city consider Ostia Antica (like Pompeii), Tivoli, or Orvieto.

\

I agree with you on that so much to see and so litte time usually for me. Im slowly chipping away at the list you mentioned. Spent 3 days in October and got to three or four of the above. Did the Vatican and Coliseum on a previous visit. Going to get there in 2015 for 2 more days so ill add a few more. Hope to do San Clemente and Castel Sant' Angelo and the Borghese Gallery at least. Larry

Thanks

How would you divide 4days worth of visiting ??

I would get a book like Rick Steves Rome Pocket guide first. Then get yourself familiar with Rome via Google earth or other means in relation to where you are staying. Then start planning your daily tours from that point. Thats what we did in October and it worked quite well as so many of the sites are in easy walking distance. Larry

Get a three day pass good on busses, trams and metro. The busses are hard to figure out, but the metro is a snap - two lines which cross at Termini, the central station. Plan your trip in advance using a map of the city to identify the sights you want to see - getting around by metro is much quicker and much less expensive than surface transportation. Of course, a lot can be covered by walking, but you want to plan the areas to cover on foot, but figure out how to get to them without wearing yourself out and using up your time.

A good map is essential - and you should spend a fair amount of time getting the "feel" of the layout, so you do not wander around pointlessly.

Thanks

Anyway you want to fit your schedule...take time as well to stroll through some side streets,sit at a cafe and have some wine or coffee,walk through the BorgheseGardens.Do some reading on your own to see what you think you may really want to see.

\

I agree with you on that so much to see and so litte time usually for me. Im slowly chipping away at the list you mentioned. Spent 3 days in October and got to three or four of the above. Did the Vatican and Coliseum on a previous visit. Going to get there in 2015 for 2 more days so ill add a few more. Hope to do San Clemente and Castel Sant' Angelo and the Borghese Gallery at least. Larry

Here's another vote for the Borghese Gallery....it is wonderful!!!:)

My husband and I are not really art lovers, and as I get older, my attention span is waning. But we loved the Borghese Gallery. The timed tickets limit the crowd so you can actually get close to the artwork instead of constantly trying to look thru a herd of people.

We also used the audioguide which was a definite asset. The information was informative, included interesting backstories , and the person speaking had a pleasant conversational tone.

Thanks

I would get a book like Rick Steves Rome Pocket guide first. Then get yourself familiar with Rome via Google earth or other means in relation to where you are staying. Then start planning your daily tours from that point.

That's what we did in October and it worked quite well as so many of the sites are in easy walking distance. Larry

I agree with Larry. And cruisemom42(post#2) always has very good information.

Recently we had our third visit to Italy/Rome. We had two full days in Rome prior to our cruise.

From our hotel, (The Grand Palatino) which was near the Colosseum, we covered much area on foot.

What's fun, in a way, is that the streets of Rome are NOT on a North/South, East/West grid.

I like to use a compass along with checking and re-checking a pre-marked tourist map (supplied by most hotels), so we didn't have to carry extra paperwork or books in our pockets. We pre-plan and mark where we are going and also where to eat.

On the second morning, we walked to the Borghese Gallery(highlight). Fortunately, we had purchased tickets on-line; our 9a.m. two-hour tour was sold out.

Anyway, we are good walkers, but after two days were looking forward to a rest once we got on the ship.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

I agree with the Rick Steeves guide. I carried it EVERYWHERE! We had 4 days post-cruise and divided up the tourist areas into quadrants.

The one day-trip I wished we had been able to do was Tivoli and Hadrian's Villa. Unfortunately it is not easily accessible by bus on Sundays and I believe it was closed Monday.

If you are looking for something different, try a cooking class!

I quite liked the reidsitaly dot com site for planning tips, especially for neighborhood groupings.

They list the tops sites as:

1) Vatican Museums / Sistine Chapel

2) St. Peter's

3) Colosseum

4) Roman Forum / Imperial Fori

5) Pantheon

6) Spanish Steps

7) Trevi Fountain

8) Piazza Navona

9) Catacombs

10) Castel Sant'Angelo

11) Papal Audience

Edited by festivalfrau

• Santa Maria Maggiore
  • Baths of Caracalla
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Piazza Navona
  • Pantheon

If you love sculpture, absolutely the Borghese Gallery. Seen it THREE times--the most magnificent pieces ever.

Santa Maria Maggiore--rivals the Vatican.

Also around that area, there's another church--you have to look for it--forgot the name--frescoes on the walls--it's where the Opera Tosca was supposed to have taken place.

Santo Pietro en Vincoli: for the statue of Moses by Michaelangelo--and for the finger of Saint Peter.

Trastevere area--the Church--Santa Maria (I think that's what it's called--)--there are alot of churches in that area.

If yiu love sculpture, get an EyeWitness guide--there are churches that have the most magnificent sculptures--forgot the name of one of them--it's by the Quirinale--

Have you thought of taking a day trip to Naples? We did, and went to the Archaeological museum--unbelievable museum with lots of artifacts from Pompeii--got a sfaggliotella afterwards on Via Tribunale as well. Train leaves Termini at 9:50 and you can catch the 4:50 back. 1 hr 10 mins each way.

I pick one, maybe two, places that I definitely want to visit for each day. If tickets are needed, I'll buy them in advance.

Something that I don't see much here is people planning where to dine. For me, that is also an important part of my trip planning. I absolutely plan my dinners, making reservations for them in advance (either directly with the restaurant or via my hotel concierge). My best recommendations come from the Chowhound people.

Other than that, I keep the rest of my time free for wandering, people watching, finding a hidden gem, spending as much time as I want at the one or two places I've picked, visiting a market, doing a spur-of-the-moment thing… For me, my vacations are too precious to have every moment programmed - I need spontaneous time to do whatever...

My husband and I are not really art lovers, and as I get older, my attention span is waning. But we loved the Borghese Gallery. The timed tickets limit the crowd so you can actually get close to the artwork instead of constantly trying to look thru a herd of people.

We also used the audioguide which was a definite asset. The information was informative, included interesting backstories , and the person speaking had a pleasant conversational tone.

Must you buy tickets for Borghese Gallery in advance or can the hotel concierge get them a day before?

Must you buy tickets for Borghese Gallery in advance or can the hotel concierge get them a day before?

In low season, you might be able to do this, but I wouldn't recommend it if you will be in Rome during the busy tourist season -- unless you are willing to be disappointed if they are sold out. The tickets remain very popular and often do sell out in advance.

Santa Maria Maggiore--rivals the Vatican.

Also around that area, there's another church--you have to look for it--forgot the name--frescoes on the walls--it's where the Opera Tosca was supposed to have taken place.

I think you've got a couple of places confused here. The "Tosca church" is Sant'Andrea della Valle, which is near Piazza Navona. The other churches near Santa Maria Maggiore are mostly known for mosaics (Santa Prassede, Santa Pudenziana, St. Paul inside the Walls). Maybe you're thinking of San Martino ai Monti? There are some frescoes there: http://www.sanmartinoaimonti.it/001%20LA%20BASILICA/GALLERIA/Galleria.html

Im thinking staying on the outskirts of Rome away from noise and pollution would be better .The hotel is the Melia Roma Antica Aurelia ..a 4 star ..not too expensive on a few duscount booking venues .they say they run a shuttle for afee to get near Vatican or there is a nus into town but I do not know cost nor how far nor hoe long a ride

Im thinking in 4 days ..colosseum and Palatine hill

Another day at borghese

Another day to ostia antica

Last day at Campo de fiori and a little easy going walkin around

Does that sound ok?

Is this place really far and inconvenient ?

Is this doable ?

Anybody know about ...the rome bus metro site pass ..how much and where do i get it ..there or online

Did all vatican ..so not going back

Appreciate any info

This hotel is between 4.5 - 7 miles from the historic sites of Rome that most tourists come to see. If you were in town for a business meeting or a conference I could understand the location, but for a tourist it's really out in left field, so to speak.

That said, if you don't mind the bus rides back and forth, living with their schedule or paying for a taxi, then go for it.

I'm sure there are those who would disagree but I think most others will agree with me…….. stay in the heart of Rome.

With 4 days you will have some time to really soak up Rome but not if you are way out and have to spend time taking a shuttle back and forth……

Some of the best memories I have are from when we just strolled around in the evenings just like the locals do. While I enjoy every minute of seeing the sites (all the ones you have listed) there is a lot to say for doing nothing in Rome :D

I love waking up and watching everything come awake too…… :D

Instead of spending precious time on a shuttle or a bus or the metro….. stay in the heart and walk. Take your time - check out whats around the next corner and ENJOY !

Also- just a suggestion - but have you thought about an apartment in Rome? If you stay 3 days or longer it can save you ALOT (yes a lot) of money. Plus you have more room and usually a full kitchen which is nice in the mornings. There is almost always a small grocery nearby and a quick shopping trip there is itself is a neat thing to do….. I love getting up, making my coffee and hanging out the window watching the piazza come awake - ALL IN MY JAMMIES :roll eyes:

Have fun - and enjoy. We are headed back for our 5th trip next April - Cant wait !

Edited by texancruzer

I would also consider taking a day trip outside of Rome. I have done this many times and it is easy because of the great train system.

Florence, Orvieto, Assisi etc etc etc.

So many places to see in Italy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sure there are those who would disagree but I think most others will agree with me…….. stay in the heart of Rome.

With 4 days you will have some time to really soak up Rome but not if you are way out and have to spend time taking a shuttle back and forth……

Some of the best memories I have are from when we just strolled around in the evenings just like the locals do. While I enjoy every minute of seeing the sites (all the ones you have listed) there is a lot to say for doing nothing in Rome :D

I love waking up and watching everything come awake too…… :D

Instead of spending precious time on a shuttle or a bus or the metro….. stay in the heart and walk. Take your time - check out whats around the next corner and ENJOY !

Also- just a suggestion - but have you thought about an apartment in Rome? If you stay 3 days or longer it can save you ALOT (yes a lot) of money. Plus you have more room and usually a full kitchen which is nice in the mornings. There is almost always a small grocery nearby and a quick shopping trip there is itself is a neat thing to do….. I love getting up, making my coffee and hanging out the window watching the piazza come awake - ALL IN MY JAMMIES :roll eyes:

Have fun - and enjoy. We are headed back for our 5th trip next April - Cant wait !

I completely agree. :)

To the OP: Whether you stay in a hotel, an apartment, a B&B or a hostel -- stay IN Rome, not out in some suburb.

If you are concerned about pollution, you'd have to go quite a way outside Rome to escape the traffic and congestion. In fact, it may be worse in some areas, as industry and heavy traffic are not allowed in the center.

Edited by cruisemom42

I have searched and searched on different websites ..all Im really looking for is clean room 2beds with a bathroom no sharing ....and a breakfast included ......h yeah elevator because there is no wy I can carry cases up stairs ..preferably around max 100$ a night ....The ones i found are closer to 250-300$ a night ...big ouch

Please recommend good places ....or appartments ...anything .im open ....

A few hotels in centre I was warned were bedbug infested ...yuck even 3star ones

I am a light skeeper so quiet is a plus

Thanks

I have searched and searched on different websites ..all Im really looking for is clean room 2beds with a bathroom no sharing ....and a breakfast included ......h yeah elevator because there is no wy I can carry cases up stairs ..preferably around max 100$ a night ....The ones i found are closer to 250-300$ a night ...big ouch

Please recommend good places ....or appartments ...anything .im open ....

A few hotels in centre I was warned were bedbug infested ...yuck even 3star ones

I am a light skeeper so quiet is a plus

Thanks

:eek:Oh, my. I am looking for a hotel as well. Where did you find out about the bedbugs?!

Last time we stayed at the Albergo del Senato, which was wonderful. The location was perfect. But this time I am looking for something still central, but a bit more reasonably priced for just 2 nights.