Murder Mystery...Worth It?

I am going on the Freedom next month and was wondering if the murder mystery dinner is worth attending. I feel like I have been burned before with badly organized events such as the surfs up party on the Oasis, so do not want to make the same mistake at a higher price point. Any insight would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really enjoyed it, but what made it good was the people who attended. I could see it going down hill if people don't play along with the actors so if you go go with a good attitude. It was just my dh and me on this trip so going to an activity like this was great. I remember the food as being better than MDR but the menu was limited. Still I would go again.

I've had Gluten Free alternative offered o request; you could try asking for something specific.... give them sufficient warning though....

Hi how much warning re the gluten free requirements did you give them.

Also can you tell me how you rate the MDR and the buffet for gluten free food. We have booked our first RCI cruise and I am hoping for tasty food, especially in the MDR, that is served with sauces/dressing with it- I hate when a restaurant says yes they will do it gluten free and what mean is they will cook a plain piece of chicken/meat instead lol

Ideally you should give specialty restaurants 24 hours notice that you are coming. Not sure how that works if the Mystery Theatre is the first night.... go straight after boarding..... and in any case email special_needs@rccl.com to let them know you are on board.

On Freedom I ate MTD and was soooooo well looked after it has put all the other experiences on RCI to shame. Each day I was given the menu for the following day to choose from. Then each day they would make me something off the menu as well.... it was so embarrassing!!! Absolutely delicious.... and I frequently had GF cupcakes left in my room.... they really went out of their for me that trip.

Items that can be prepared GF will be noted on the menu..... order the previous day. In WindJammer you can get a tour from a chef who will give you a tour of what you can have. On Sea Days have lunch in the MDR.... again you can select from the menu what you would like the previous day.... and the salad bar there is wonderful!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We did the Murder Mystery on our last Freedom Cruise (last month). It was nice. I'm glad we did it. The food was very good. I thought the wine was fine, but I'm not a big wine person. But I wouldn't do it again.

It was fun. I would not say it was a professional performance. The performers were adequate. They were the dancers from the theater cast.

It was difficult to hear, even for those of us without hearing problems. My mother couldn't understand a thing anyone was saying. The combination of the made up accents and the lack of amplification compounded the problem. The story was somewhat disjointed and there was not enough information to keep the story together. When we moved to the restaurant the whole story sort of fell apart. But, the people we were sitting with were hysterical and we had such a good time with them. The lady sitting next to me won the prize... a huge array of what we fondly call cruise junk! The dinner was very good. They accommodated my shellfish allergy. They did keep our wine glasses filled. Dessert was WONDERFUL -- don't miss it! My steak was cooked to perfection. Everything was tasty! But, we were really packed into the restaurant. It was close, very close to being uncomfortable. It was impossible for anyone to get up once seated without 1/2 the table having to get up. I do not know how anyone with a wheelchair would be accommodated, although I'm sure they would work it out. My mom walks with a walker an the people at our table were so nice to offer us seats that she wouldn't have to crawl over chairs or people. So, this is just my thoughts. Like I said earlier, I'm glad we did it once, but unless they make changes, I wouldn't do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

We went with a large group on the Adventure last year and had a blast. The food was wonderful - my DH got the steak and I got the shrimp. I tasted his steak and it was so good I wished I had gotten the steak too! Definitely a fun night!

How do you sign up pre-cruise. Is it under specialty dining or someother preplanning option?

I just discovered that we can book Portofinos for our Sept cruise but there is no mention of the Mystery dinner theater.

If it's offered, it will be listed with the dining options.

Hi we have booked the one on IOS in July. Do you know if other food was available if you didn't like what was on offer - the reason I ask is our 18 year old son is coming too and is a typical fussy teenager !

When i was his age i already killed several men in the army, maybe he should grow up.

Could anyone tell me how much the murder mystery dinner is? We will be on the Navigator which I have been told offers it but I don't sail until next June so I can book it yet :) TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Murder Mystery on our last Freedom Cruise (last month). It was nice. I'm glad we did it. The food was very good. I thought the wine was fine, but I'm not a big wine person. But I wouldn't do it again.

It was fun. I would not say it was a professional performance. The performers were adequate. They were the dancers from the theater cast.

It was difficult to hear, even for those of us without hearing problems. My mother couldn't understand a thing anyone was saying. The combination of the made up accents and the lack of amplification compounded the problem. The story was somewhat disjointed and there was not enough information to keep the story together. When we moved to the restaurant the whole story sort of fell apart. But, the people we were sitting with were hysterical and we had such a good time with them. The lady sitting next to me won the prize... a huge array of what we fondly call cruise junk! The dinner was very good. They accommodated my shellfish allergy. They did keep our wine glasses filled. Dessert was WONDERFUL -- don't miss it! My steak was cooked to perfection. Everything was tasty! But, we were really packed into the restaurant. It was close, very close to being uncomfortable. It was impossible for anyone to get up once seated without 1/2 the table having to get up. I do not know how anyone with a wheelchair would be accommodated, although I'm sure they would work it out. My mom walks with a walker an the people at our table were so nice to offer us seats that she wouldn't have to crawl over chairs or people. So, this is just my thoughts. Like I said earlier, I'm glad we did it once, but unless they make changes, I wouldn't do it again.

I quoted this response because it matches how we would reply. The singers and dancers were OK but not actors but they put forth a good effort and some were so cute and some really funny. We did not have a crowded dinner and we could hear fine and the food was good. It was a fun evening and fun to do one time.

Could anyone tell me how much the murder mystery dinner is? We will be on the Navigator which I have been told offers it but I don't sail until next June so I can book it yet :) TIA!

I believe it's a bit over $50 per person now.

Just more revenue for the cruise line. Why pay for food and entertainment that is just OK!

I was saying thank you for the info, $50/pp is more than I am willing to pay actually. I'm not a specialty restaurant enthusiast either, but I've always wanted to do a murder mystery diner, I will do one on land though for that price

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Since Freedom now has Giovannis,will they still have a murder mystery dinner??:confused:

Don't know for sure Kathy, but other ships with Giovanni's have Murder Mystery, so I don't see why FR would be different.