How Many People Skip Dinner in the MDR in Alaska?

sjmbruce

There are two days that we will be in port until at least 8:30, and a scenic cruising day that lasts into the evening. Will most people skip dinner in the MDR those nights? I can't see going back to the ship for a lengthy dinner and taking away from time in Juneau or Skagway.

Any insight into when the formal nights will be on a 7 day northbound cruise?

Thanks!

Formal nights tend to be on sea days. Many people will stay on shore for dinner on port days. I think the MDR staff anticipate that, but you could always give them a heads up if you plan to skip MDR for a meal. Alaskan ports have some great restaurants, and it's fun to get some of the local flavor.

Hubbard Glacier times happened to be during first dining. A lot of people skipped dinner for this.

For other ports, most do go to dinner. Some dine in town but the dining rooms are full most nights.

While not a meal, it amazes me how many people sleep through College Fiords on NB routes. They are exhausted from their land trip, go to sleep and sleep through College Fiords. It is beautiful here and sad to see many people miss it.

In Juneau, most shops stay open until close to ship sailing times.

I had some delicious fish in a Juneau restaurant (near the pier, don't remember the name.) I was waiting for others in my party to return from a tour I didn't take. It was dinner time. I still remember that meal many years later.

Also, when there are a lot of late ports, sometimes they will shift all MDRs to open seating as opposed to TD/AD split, which means they can open space as needed to accomodate demand.

In all of my cruises to Alaska, the only time the MDR is open seating "or differently assigned" is the first night leaving out of Whittier. Muster often happens between first and second dining and they often give people a dinner assignment (or they can go to the buffet) as opposed to regular dining.

People miss meals in Victoria often as the port time is often 6-11 pm or something like that.

We only ate dinner in the MDR on the first night. I couldn't believe they expected me to eat in there with no windows near our table and miss Hubbard Glacier. We ate almost all our meals in the HC right in front and had a perfect view of everything. We were on the Island.

There are two days that we will be in port until at least 8:30, and a scenic cruising day that lasts into the evening. Will most people skip dinner in the MDR those nights? I can't see going back to the ship for a lengthy dinner and taking away from time in Juneau or Skagway.

Thanks!

Don't worry abot the MDR, just do what will work best for you. Have fun!

Thanks!

Great question! I bought two dresses and did not want to miss the formal nights so. ... We are both chefs and want to eat in town as much as possible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We only ate dinner in the MDR on the first night. I couldn't believe they expected me to eat in there with no windows near our table and miss Hubbard Glacier. We ate almost all our meals in the HC right in front and had a perfect view of everything. We were on the Island.

I agree - the views are awesome from the bow HC on the Island & Coral. I like the speed and freedom of eating in the HC. Get in, get out, enjoy the ship. ;)

Thank you all for the information and experiences! I definitely don't want to miss the formal nights. For the other days, as much as I like eating, I'd rather enjoy the ports and the scenery than go into the MDR.