Received "check" in mail for 2 free cruises & airfare...is it real?

scrapperluv

Hi all,

We booked out first cruise through with Carnival a couple months ago. Last month we received a voucher in the mail for 2 free 7 night cruises and 2 free r/t airfares. I called the number today and we need to sit through a presentation to receive it. The man said it's a 90 minute presentation on saving money on traveling. He said it isn't a timeshare.

According to him, there are no blackout dates and we can fly any major airline. Anyone else ever received one of these and gone to the presentation? We're scheduled for Thursday night. Is it worth it? Is it a scam?

Hi all,

We booked out first cruise through with Carnival a couple months ago. Last month we received a voucher in the mail for 2 free 7 night cruises and 2 free r/t airfares. I called the number today and we need to sit through a presentation to receive it. The man said it's a 90 minute presentation on saving money on traveling. He said it isn't a timeshare.

According to him, there are no blackout dates and we can fly any major airline. Anyone else ever received one of these and gone to the presentation? We're scheduled for Thursday night. Is it worth it? Is it a scam?

It is a scam !!! Run, and run fast.

Wait till you find out how high the taxes and booking fees will be involved. Then, you need to put in a request for sail dates and wait till the last minute for results. In other words, the "free" cruise will be expensive, and you won't know when you can go. I wouldn't waste my time nor money on this so called free cruise.

Hi all,

Don't see any harm in going if you go in thinking that you might not be getting what it appears.

Be sure to let us know

Edited by SeaUs

I think you'll find if you go through with this that the taxes and fee's which are not covered for the cruise or the air will far exceed what you could have booked the cruise for on your own.

Or in our case with a similar resort stay, we never could get confirmation that anything had been booked. And since the offer is coming from essentially a TA, nobody is going to be willing to give you any confirmations or information without going through the scammer.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's a scam. I had a friend a few years ago that got his vacation flights to Florida paid for every year by going to a time share presentation.

This has NOTHING to do with a resort stay. This ISN'T a timeshare presentation. By law, timeshares HAVE to tell you it's a timeshare presentation. This is a presentation for a multi-level marketing "travel club." They require you to pay an upfront membership fee, usually about $600, then a monthly fee, usually $99, to have access to their discount travel offers. You can avoid the monthly fee by recruiting others to the club.

I have three co-workers who went through the presentation and no one can tell them it's a scam no matter how much you can demonstrate their discounts are the same price available to everyone else. The free flights and cruises are REAL and they have no "blackout" dates exactly. For the free stuff, they offer you pre-selected cruises on pre-selected dates. There is always SOMETHING available on every day of the year, but it may not be where you want to go. For example, if you pick July 4th, the only thing available might be a 7 day Bahamas cruise on RCI from New York. So, technically that date isn't blacked out.

Technically, it isn't a "scam" but I can pretty much guarantee you won't like it (unless you like selling multi-level marketing stuff to your friends and family) and it won't save you any money.

Edited by Davey Wavey

Don't see any harm in going if you go in thinking that you might not be getting what it appears.

Oh there is harm. The use high pressure sales that rope in some very reluctant people. It's almost like a brainwash cult. But let me say again, this is NOT a timeshare presentation. It has nothing to do with timeshare ownership or rentals. It is a multi-level marketing travel club that, for a big fee, offers their members travel discounts.

From Davey Wavey's description it sounds like some project the Egyptians did.........PYRAMID.

RUN don't walk away from it. Remember the old saying, 'If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is'. There must be some amount of concern in the back of your mind or you wouldn't have asked here about it. Listen to your gut feeling.

My husband and I went a couple of years back to one of those talks. Didn't buy anything but, we were suppose to get a tank of gas for showing up still waiting on the gas. Run, Run fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's plenty of suckers out there that think that they will get something for FREE! Just like Carnival giving free cruises to people. I got one of those and guess what? It wasn't FREE! There's always a gimmick - always, and it will always cost you something - always!

Probably a third market promoter and not Carnival. I usually get a call every few months on someone giving me a cruise, and then get hit with the presentation attendance or a small fee thats due right then and now, or I loose the offer. As others said, throw it in the trash, or run!!

We went to this presentation a few months ago....it's not exactly a scam but it certainly isn't "free". You have 30 days to mail in $150 refundable deposit and then you have to wait to hear back from them to find out how to schedule. For the airline tickets you have to send in a $75 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit. All in all we figured we might save a couple hundred bucks but it wouldn't be worth it for the stress of limited dates and not being in full control of your booking with the cruise line or airline. If you live in a port city it probably wouldn't be a bad deal but if not, not worth it in my opinion.

This has NOTHING to do with a resort stay. This ISN'T a timeshare presentation. By law, timeshares HAVE to tell you it's a timeshare presentation. This is a presentation for a multi-level marketing "travel club." They require you to pay an upfront membership fee, usually about $600, then a monthly fee, usually $99, to have access to their discount travel offers. You can avoid the monthly fee by recruiting others to the club.

Might be your guess, but the OP didn't say that

there is cruise company that plays off of the carnival name. What exactly does it say? It is a timeshare or something similar. They have the old big red boat and a few really old cruise ships and operate the ships playing off the carnival name...... I have a friend that booked one of those deals by accident. She thought she was getting a great deal..... you get what you pay for.

The "check" has the Carnival emblem and name, but under that is says, "Cruise Reservations are Serviced By Infinity Travel."

I Googled the name Infinity Travel Carnival Cruise and found a lot of complaints out there. I'm not going to be attending this...that's for sure! I've been to timeshare presentations in the past that were legit and offered some great rewards so I was hoping this was similar. Guess not! Thanks all!

Check out this article:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Infinity-Incentive-Group/Lake-Havasu-City-Arizona-86405/Infinity-Incentive-Group-SCAM-SHEISTERs-RIP-OFF-ARTISTS-Lake-Havasu-City-Arizona-849070

Might be your guess, but the OP didn't say that

You are right. I assumed it was the same Infinity Travel fake check offer that I have received and my coworkers attended and purchased and countless other posts on this board have asked about. Might be something different...