First Day Lunch Options on Freedom?

What are our options for that first lunch onboard? Is the buffet too crowded or our best bet?

Well, if you're talking freedom of the seas, you have so many options. Roast beef sandwich was mine, in one of cafés. Search on here, someone will know.

If you mean Carnivals Freedom, a Guys burger on lido!! Or a deli sandwich. (On your right as you head to the buffet) the deli is popular and seems to always have a line so stop when you can. Bagel and salmon is awesome! Tandoori grill is before main buffet, great choice. Or something I haven't done is to go up to 12 and do the fish and chips. I keep meaning to try this!!

And of course pizza back in Serenity deck. You won't go hungry. Have fun!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Well, if you're talking freedom of the seas, you have so many options. Roast beef sandwich was mine, in one of cafés. Search on here, someone will know.

Freedom of the Seas does not have a Park Cafe so the Beef on Weck is not served. As Bob mentioned you have the Windjammer, Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's for lunch.

ETA: Depending on what time you board, the Windjammer can be really crowded or not so terrible. The later it gets, the more people will be there. When the cabins open at 1 PM, a lot of people head down to drop off carry on bags. And of course, if you are a large party, it's harder to get a larger table. If you do the Windjammer, head further into the buffet and towards the back. A lot of people walk in, see the first table that is available and stop. The buffet goes much further to the back of the ship and there is much more seating than just up front.

Edited by njmomof2

Buffet, Cafe Promenade, Sorrento's.

Which do you recommend? Not food wise but crowd wise. My last cruise on Disney we were advised by the staff when we boarded to go to one of the regular dining rooms instead of the buffet. They were serving buffet style but the flow was not good and the lines were pretty bad. It was a bummer because were sailing with some friends who were first-time cruisers and that was their first experience on board :(

Is the Windjammer crazy that first lunch?

Which do you recommend? Not food wise but crowd wise. My last cruise on Disney we were advised by the staff when we boarded to go to one of the regular dining rooms instead of the buffet. They were serving buffet style but the flow was not good and the lines were pretty bad. It was a bummer because were sailing with some friends who were first-time cruisers and that was their first experience on board :(

Obviously, the Cafe or Sorrento's is going to be limited in the type of food available. If you want a fuller menu, then the only option is Windjammer. Perhaps people don't like it, but we find a table, park my mom with the carry on bags and the boys and I go get food. Then we come back and she gets her food. She has some minor mobility issues so she simply cannot manage a plate of food and her bag and pocketbook at once.

It's always crazy on boarding day. Everyone is coming on, and everyone wants lunch. Once the first day passes, people are more spread out to other areas, as well as eating at different times.

If you are early to board (11:30am or so), Windjammer is not that bad. I'd avoid it from noon to 1pm because that will be the busiest. After 1pm, staterooms are open and that relieves some of the crowding.

If you are wanting to eat between noon and 1pm, I'd go to either/both Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade. They are both in the Royal Promenade and not far from each other.

If you are early to board (11:30am or so), Windjammer is not that bad. I'd avoid it from noon to 1pm because that will be the busiest. After 1pm, staterooms are open and that relieves some of the crowding.

If you are wanting to eat between noon and 1pm, I'd go to either/both Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade. They are both in the Royal Promenade and not far from each other.

Ok that's kind of what I was thinking. If we're get on early we'll go ahead, otherwise we'll wait til after 1. :cool:

Why does everyone hate the Windjammer??

Food selection good. They have some specials the first day. You can get Roast Beef on Weck if there is no Park Cafe on the ship. If you have a big crowd and insist on eating together it could be troublesome.

I wish RC did like Princess and had rooms open at boarding, that way you can dispense with carryons. Princess and I believe NCL also have at least one dining room open for sit down service which provides a quieter, less hectic option.

I think it's just the noise, crowds, schlepping carry ons that makes that first boarding lunch not really relaxing. But I have no complaints about the food or being able to find a seat.

My vote is for the Cafe Promenade. My DH has mobility issues so throngs of people cutting in front of him may throw him off balance. We normally head to the Cafe but on our last cruise we stayed in a GS so we headed to Portofino's instead. I got him settled, got a couple plates of food from the Windjammer and we relaxed in Protofino's until our cabin was ready. Most least-hectic boarding ever!!!

Excuse me, I realized as I posted that I was referencing the Oasis and not the Freedom. I agree the food is good in the Windjammer and early is better! A stroll around deck, a drink and relaxing deck chair make waiting for the cabin and then lunch before muster and sail a way is always an option!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

What are our options for that first lunch onboard? Is the buffet too crowded or our best bet?

Freedom's buffet (windjammer) IMO has the best passenger/seat ratio, but even it can be busy on the boarding day. If your on board before noon your probably ok. (how many people in your group?) Also Freedom's WJ has some snack bar seating making it easier for 1-2 people to find a place.