UBP Price Increase

SeaShark

I thought it was clever. :D

FWIW...Although people didn't belive me :confused: on this, at least they weren't willing to bet their house that I was wrong like they were when we discussed the removal of Spinnaker's from the Star. :rolleyes:

...just sayin' ring . . . ring . . . ring

AAAH YES !! I remember very well !!

If all "advance notice" information were posted here, some would need to take a tranquilizer before opening the thread, and we would need a suit of armor !!! lol

Sadly NCL measures are far weaker than those of RCL.

They do not use a measure and I would be surprised if they were even 1.5ml as as standard serving on NCL should be.

Or that is my experience anyway.

Can't say this is a good move IMHO - if it included fresh orange juice, water and coffee then maybe.

I bet they hike the per drink prices as well...:mad::(:mad:

You are probably right: the wine per glass prices for house choice went up from $5.75 in Dec to about $7 on our cruise last week. Of course the prices on land have also gone up. It is not unusual to see a glass of wine at $8 or more.

The Corks and Caps is still available on 3 night and longer cruises.

US $ 44.00 per day + 15% gratuity

Didn't got adjusted (yet..?)

.EU site:

"Corks and Caps Wine and Beer Package can be booked on board (1-2 night cruises, Pride of America and Spring Break - 1 March - 15. April excluded)."

I thought it was clever. :D

FWIW...Although people didn't belive me :confused: on this, at least they weren't willing to bet their house that I was wrong like they were when we discussed the removal of Spinnaker's from the Star. :rolleyes:

...just sayin' ring . . . ring . . . ring

Asking for validation and clarification isn't saying they don't believe you.

In fact you were correct, but you also didn't have (or post) all of the details, eg the increase of the ceiling for all alcoholic beverages to $10.

That piece of information which makes the price increase more logical than an out-right price hike under the old program.

Edited by Cubechick

You are probably right: the wine per glass prices for house choice went up from $5.75 in Dec to about $7 on our cruise last week. Of course the prices on land have also gone up. It is not unusual to see a glass of wine at $8 or more.

Even Charles Shaw (aka "Two Buck Chuck") raised his prices !!!! What is this world coming to ??? lol

Seldom does my timing pay off, but I called and ordered the UBP a week ago for my 14 June Getaway :p I called NCL today and they said I'm good. I hope a lot of others lucked out too.

Not worth it to me as I get the CAS card, but my cousins who are big drinkers & first time cruisers were asking me about it yesterday. They decided to book last night for our cruise next week. Glad they got in on the savings!

It appears that every beverage under $10 is now included. At least that is my take. You be the judge:

Old UBP language:

“ Thank you for purchasing Norwegian’s Ultimate Beverage Package. Your package includes a variety of spirits and cocktails that are valued at $8.50 or less, draft beer $5.95 and under, bottled beer $5.50 and under, glasses of wine under $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay.

Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One (1) beverage per person per transaction.”

New UBP language:

“Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $10. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.”

Actually this makes the UBP more appealing for some because the old one did not cover the 8.50 and 9.50 martini's and higher priced specialty drinks. Now everything but the high priced wines/ bottles of wines and super premiums should be covered! And all I have to do is order one more drink a day!

Royal includes specialty coffees on their top tier packages and the lines are never that bad (often a couple of people at most), even when you consider that only 1 location onboard can serve the entire specialty coffee menu (located in promenade).

The biggest problem Royal has is that the Oasis class boats have a Starbucks PLUS the cafe that makes specialty coffees (both on the promenade). The package only works at the cafe, not Starbucks. It says this in the package details, but people always seem to overlook it.

I totally understand why speciality coffees are not included in the UBP. There'd have to be 20 fully equipped coffee bars with baristas on the ship to cope with the demand if UBP people were getting them for free. Either that or suffer queues for miles. They take too long to make and would tie up the server from serving other drinks which take 20 seconds each to make. Like everything on a cruise ship, it has to be time, cost and waste efficient to work

I'd be more than happy to get these coffees at a discount with the UBP so you're getting some additional benefit. A bit like the UDP where you get 20% discount in Ocean Blue restaurant on the Breakaway etc.

It appears that every beverage under $10 is now included. At least that is my take. You be the judge:

Old UBP language:

“ Thank you for purchasing Norwegian’s Ultimate Beverage Package. Your package includes a variety of spirits and cocktails that are valued at $8.50 or less, draft beer $5.95 and under, bottled beer $5.50 and under, glasses of wine under $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay.

Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One (1) beverage per person per transaction.”

New UBP language:

“Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $10. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.”

At least they finally made the policy simple for both passengers and crew to follow!

Asking for validation and clarification isn't saying they don't believe you.

Really? What is it sayin then?

I won't speak for everyone, but where I come from you don't ask people for "proof" when you belive them.

Really? What is it sayin then?

I won't speak for everyone, but where I come from you don't ask people for "proof" when you belive them.

Really? I am sure it's good practice to just accept everything posted on a chat board as truth. :rolleyes:

Speaking for myself I was waiting for confirmation on what you posted. It didn't mean that I didn't believe you were or could be correct, but that I would wait and see.

from the NCL site:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#ultimate

Ultimate Beverage Package

Special Online Pre-Purchase Price of $54/day. Don't wait until you get onboard to buy this package. Save $5 per day if you purchase in advance!

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $54.00 per person per day x Cruise Days plus 15% gratuity

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program

from the NCL site:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#ultimate

Ultimate Beverage Package

Special Online Pre-Purchase Price of $54/day. Don't wait until you get onboard to buy this package. Save $5 per day if you purchase in advance!

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $54.00 per person per day x Cruise Days plus 15% gratuity

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program

That's a pretty big and bold statement. I'll have to make sure NOT to talk to anyone for fear the NCL will think I'm travelling WITH them and charge me for their UBP.

Someone said somewhere that NCL, should leave those alone that have already booked, and leave the new prices to the customers they don't have yet.

I have to say, I'm not pleased with this.

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

So if you pre-pay you need to order $63.53 worth of drinks a day to break even.

Pay on board and you need to order $69.41 worth of drinks a day.

Quick someone post a link to Gambee's photos of the drink menu so I can figure out what and how much I would need to drink to make it "worth" it!

We were planning to pre-purchase this anyway, so when I saw this post yesterday I told my husband to get on it! Of course, he dilly-dallied like men do, and didn't call until this morning, so we had to pay the higher price. Now I suppose I'll have to drink a couple more drinks each day. *sigh* The things we put ourselves through!

Regardless, thanks for the heads up!

So this is a sweet and sour news for me :cool:

Good news, all beers under 10$ are in, mixed drinks up to 10$ are in... there were a few Martini's just under 10$ not included before and now SHOULD...I say should because I guess we are waiting for a confirmation* about possible price increase :mad: ... I could bet that those drinks who were just under 10$ are now just over 10$...

And wine glasses ? how about them ? a few were also just under 10$ in those automatic dispensers...I bet they will be now just over 10$...

Personally, I am "ok" with spending 5$ more per day ( pre-pay ) if more premium drinks are in, if all beers are in...but if many drinks have a sudden increase just over 10$...then not happy here :mad:

*confirmation from fellow cruisers who are on ships this week and next week

We're now out.

Too bad I did not see this sooner (or hear it from our TA). I called this morning to buy it (was waiting for next CC cyle)only to find out it has gone up and now see it was mentioned here yesterday.

We were a little undecided, mostly because of all the rules, certain limit on this and a different limit on that... and not wanting to have to check prices and what is excluded and is this included ??

Was buying this package as much as anything for the convenience and not hesitating having a drink when on vacation. Puts much more vacation-mode into the cruise.

That is gone now. This now costs just that much too much.

We'd already bought the UDP as well so as to be carefree. Was looking forward to our first time on NCL with a freestyle, all in (mostly anyway) vacation. I am sure it will be good anyway. Will likely now just bring our own wine on board and leave it at that.

I think the bean counters have it wrong but then they make the big bucks not me. Instead of the $870 for 2 on a 7 day cruise they will now get faaaar less from me. It is not a matter of cost because their duty-free wholesale cost is so low the per diem is minimal. It is a matter of revenue not cost.

Good comment though was I got through very quickly on the phone and had a very helpful, friendly rep.

So this is a sweet and sour news for me :cool:

Good news, all beers under 10$ are in, mixed drinks up to 10$ are in... there were a few Martini's just under 10$ not included before and now SHOULD...I say should because I guess we are waiting for a confirmation* about possible price increase :mad: ... I could bet that those drinks who were just under 10$ are now just over 10$...

And wine glasses ? how about them ? a few were also just under 10$ in those automatic dispensers...I bet they will be now just over 10$...

Personally, I am "ok" with spending 5$ more per day ( pre-pay ) if more premium drinks are in, if all beers are in...but if many drinks have a sudden increase just over 10$...then not happy here :mad:

*confirmation from fellow cruisers who are on ships this week and next week

Does the NCL site state somewhere that the higher cost drinks are now in? All I found on the site was the same old limited package at the higher price.

Does the NCL site state somewhere that the higher cost drinks are now in? All I found on the site was the same old limited package at the higher price.

Nevermind, I just found it! :o

so if you pre-pay you need to order $63.53 worth of drinks a day to break even.

Pay on board and you need to order $69.41 worth of drinks a day.

Quick someone post a link to gambee's photos of the drink menu so i can figure out what and how much i would need to drink to make it "worth" it!

LIKE!:p