Venice Hotel Recommendations

Tinkerbell2012

When u stayed at the Hotel Olympia; did you take people mover to cruise terminal?

No - there were 5 of us so we decided to tke a land taxi. The driver met us at the hotel to take our bags- we walked along with him to the parking area of piazza Roma. We did that because it made it quick and easy. It was quite warm out and I had elbow surgery in February and one lady had back problems. So we did not have to worry about lifting our bags for the 2 small bridges. We paid 50 euros - so just 10 euros each.

The people mover is not far from there though.

Realproperty, I have tons of Hilton points; so yes I would stay at hilton so I don't pay any money for hotel; I have stayed in the Rialto Hotel and the Grand Hotel; so I have been immersed in Venice; thanks.

2specialkidsforme; thanks for your feedback. We are looking to book our kids there next year; how far in advance did you book hotel, and did you go thru hotwire; expedia; or hotel website?

Rialto and San Marco areas are packed with people and will be even crazier in June. We just returned and spent 4 days at Ca Pisani (pronounce Kah), which is a boutique hotel (35 4 star rooms) in the Dorsoduro section of Venice near the Guggenheim museum. What is great is location, away from the main walking and congregating routes, but 3 minutes to the Accademia vaporetto on the grand canal and 3 minutes to the Zattere vaporetto on the other side. Close to good restaurants that are less focussed on the tourists than at Rialto or San Marco. 10 minute walk to San Marco and high end shopping, 15 to Rialto and pretty quiet at night. Great staff, warm welcome, great breakfast included. There are tons of boutique hotels around, you just have to find one. My advice, find a travel agent who knows Venice and I mean knows it and has been there. Our travel agent told us about a Ca Pisani (she gave us 3 or 4 choices and then we investigated and chose this one but on line, all were comparable and well located. ) Staying at a Hilton, Westin, etc in Venice seems almost sacreligious. Why go to Venice and stay in a North American hotel? Defats the purpose, don'tcha think? Go local.

I actually agree with you--normally would not book any chain, and certainly not an American-based chain while in Europe. I prefer small, charming locally owned inns. But this is a Hilton like no other. It's a converted flour mill ('molino') and the only way you'd know it's a Hilton is the small script on the door. It has loads of charm, and the rooms are reminiscent of boutique hotel rooms with high beamed ceilings, Murano glass chandeliers, etc. But for us, the huge factor was the price. When you're doing a long road trip and staying in hotels every night, the cost really adds up. So the bargain pricing compared with the great perks made this a no brainer for us. We have stayed near San Marco before and also in Cannaregio, so we have had the 'authentic' Venice experience on other visits. And heck, it beats staying in Mestre!

Realproperty, I have tons of Hilton points; so yes I would stay at hilton so I don't pay any money for hotel; I have stayed in the Rialto Hotel and the Grand Hotel; so I have been immersed in Venice; thanks.

2specialkidsforme; thanks for your feedback. We are looking to book our kids there next year; how far in advance did you book hotel, and did you go thru hotwire; expedia; or hotel website?

We booked our hotel in August for Nay. The rates went up quite a bit from when we booked. I used booking.com. I had the option to cancel up to a few days before with no penalty and breakfast (which was very nice) was included. I highly recommend this hotel. I liked that the property was easy to find, convenient for getting to from airport as well as going to cruise and I found the room and the bathroom to be quite spacious. We all had separate rooms and each said we would stay here again if we return to Venice.

We booked our hotel in August for Nay. The rates went up quite a bit from when we booked. I used booking.com. I had the option to cancel up to a few days before with no penalty and breakfast (which was very nice) was included. I highly recommend this hotel. I liked that the property was easy to find, convenient for getting to from airport as well as going to cruise and I found the room and the bathroom to be quite spacious. We all had separate rooms and each said we would stay here again if we return to Venice.

sorry if I have asked my quota of questions; but, how did the wifi work, and is there a grocery market nearby; need to pick up a few cases of soda and water for our trip.

sorry if I have asked my quota of questions; but, how did the wifi work, and is there a grocery market nearby; need to pick up a few cases of soda and water for our trip.

The wifi worked great - I was able to get a strong signal in my room and in the hotel lobby as well as outdoor garden area. For those who do not bring a laptop, ipad, etc they also did have a computer in the lobby you could use and a printer - at no cost.

As for a grocery market nearby, I am not sure if there was one or not. We never looked. We did buy waters and cans of pop but we did from the gelato stand right around the corner - it was 1 euro each.

Also, just in case you might need it - I was away for a week prior to the cruise (bologna 2 nights then Venice) and it was so warm and I packed with just a carry on and backpack so I needed to do laundry. Well I found a laundromat right next to the gelato stand - the woman charged just 20 euro for a bag of laundry - she washed, ironed, folded and delivered them to the front desk of the hotel. I dropped off right before she closed on Thursday and it was at the hotel by noon the next day. Turns out this is the cleaners the hotel uses and the front desk staff said it would have cost me a lot to have it done through the hotel. I think I had 5 pairs of capris, 7 t-shirts, pj's , etc in that bag.

wow, isn't that interesting a laundry around the corner and they do it for you. That's good to know. I have to wait another month to book; we are going May 2015 and the hotel is only taking reservations thru Apr 2015.

wow, isn't that interesting a laundry around the corner and they do it for you. That's good to know. I have to wait another month to book; we are going May 2015 and the hotel is only taking reservations thru Apr 2015.

It was a great surprise!!! They did a very good job at such a low cost. You will probably get a very good rate by booking so far in advance. I can 100% say that when I return to Venice someday I will definitely stay here again.

It was a great surprise!!! They did a very good job at such a low cost. You will probably get a very good rate by booking so far in advance. I can 100% say that when I return to Venice someday I will definitely stay here again.

thank you very much for all the good info

Husband & I are cruising Splendour of the Seas in June out of Venice, IT. Any recommendation for hotels in Venice for the 3 nights we'll be there prior to the cruise? Also welcome any advice on Venice sightseeing & excursion selection on this cruise if you have taken it (Turkey, Croatia, Santorina, etc) Thanks!

As I mentioned I just returned from a multi day stay in Venice and then sailed on the Jade to Dubrovnik, Athens, Ephesus and Split.

Ideas for Venice - take the vaporretto to the islands of Burano nd Murano. Super easy (ask at your hotel which vaporrettos to take). Burano is so quaint, each building is painted a different color. Known for lace. We bought some scarves and my friend bought some lace for her daughter's wedding. Great place for lunch - they had tables along the canal with orange umbrellas with orange fringe. Delicious pizza and so relaxing to sit there. Then took vaporretto back to Murano and walked around. Known for their glass. We did not attend a glass demonstration. We took the vaporretto right from piazza Roma - super easy. It first stopped in Murano - get off and there are directions to take you over to another vaporretto stop to go to Burano. Super easy!!! My one friend and I loved Burano so much we went a second time one afternoon.

For ports - here is what we did:

Dubrovnik - we got off at grabbed a taxi and for 50 euros he took us all around - saw amazing views!!! Then he dropped us outside the entrance to old town and we walked around. Took taxi after back to ship. I think we paid 12 euros for ride back to ship. There were 4 of us so for under 20 euros each we saw a lot.

Private tour in Turkey to Ephesus - amazing!!!! We used http://www.privatetoursinturkey.com/toursinephesus.html

We had Yelda as our guide - wonderful!!!! Great tour. The contact person Kagan will respond quickly to your inquiry - one of our favorite days!!!

Private tour in Athens- again, great tour! We used

http://Www.pktravelgreece.com. Potoula was very responsive and all went perfect. Our guide was Chris.

Private tour in Split - fantastic day again. We used:

Matt - sorry another friend set it up so I have his email only - it is matej.t.d@gmail.com

We saw the Krka waterfalls, tour of the coastline, etc. gorgeous day and Matt is super nice

Hope that helps. We found our tours based on recommendations here on cc. We all said we will only do private tours in future -it was so nice to be in small group, decide itinerary, set the times of how long we wanted to stay somewhere. Each guide had a driver and the vehicles were super nice, clean, air conditioned. Each brought us bottled water too. When we figured out the cost for 5 of us for some and 4 of us for the other tours, our tours were no more than taking a large ship tour.

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

Just want to add that we stayed in the Best Western Olimpia as well (2010) and agreee that it is a great hotel with very friendly staff. Easy to get to from VCE airport using ATVO bus (I think it is 6 or 7 E now) to P. Roma then walk over 1 bridge. Luggage on the ATVO bus goes underneath - it is a coach - but you have to put it on and take off yourself.

There is a Coop grocery store across P. Roma to the left of the vaporetto stop on Grande Canal - we didn't go there so not sure if it is accessed from the canal side or the road side (from mainland). Go to Google maps and do a search for Coop Venice Italy, zoom into P. Roma and you will see it.

We did not use the peoplemover - it was either not quite ready or just newly opened - NCL provided shuttle buses from P.Roma but I'm assuming they no longer do that since the peoplemover opened.

We're going again next year - almost same itinerary as we did in 2010 - it was wonderful and cannot wait to go back. Olimpia rates are now double what we paid in 2010!! :eek:

We stayed at the Regina Europa which is a Starwood Hotel right on the Grand Canal just down from St. Marks. It is usually VERY expensive, but we opened a Starwood Credit card account a few months before and got a lot of hotel points. We were able to stay for $99/night plus points. This was in winter though, so I would imagine the summer rates are a bit higher. Either way, it's a good idea to get a hotel chain credit card and use the points toward your hotel. All the chains do it, so take your pick. :)

Olimpia rates are now double what we paid in 2010!! :eek:

The 4 hotels nearest to Piazzale Roma can capitalize on that location, especially with cruise passengers who tend to overpack. Go a few blocks further and you'll save a bundle on hotel fees. If you can't manage your luggage, check a couple of bags at the Left Luggage facility for 5E per. What you save on hotel rates will make up the cost of luggage storage. Actually if you check your bags and just take one carryon to the vaporetto, you can easily stay ANYWHERE in Venice. Give it some thought.