Steak House Price

botbienvn

We just got off the sunshine last week and took our 2 year old to the steak house. He was very well behaved. We were not charged $35 for him and they were kind enough to get him a plate of chicken nuggets from the MDR childrens menu, which they offered to do.. I didn't ask.

I don't know if they just went above and beyond or if that is the norm. You can stop by the steak house before your reservation and talk to them about it though. I am willing to bet you'll find them very accommodating.

Does $35 per person apply to everyone including kids?

Thanks.

Only if they order an entree off the steakhouse menu. They may offer you other options. Some grab kiddie food from other locations. We were offered side dishes instead, but went for the entree. And we thanked them for all the options offered to us.

The price includes the $15 tip, so if you are assisted, consider an nice tip for their trouble if they accommodate you, in cash if possible to THAT person. I was a little disheartened recently when a worker in the steakhouse claimed that any extra tips you put in you tab don't go to "them". They make the same regardless.

Edited by TPFKAH

The price includes the $15 tip, so if you are assisted, consider an nice tip for their trouble if they accommodate you, in cash if possible to THAT person. I was a little disheartened recently when a worker in the steakhouse claimed that any extra tips you put in you tab don't go to "them". They make the same regardless.

I was told exactly the opposite by a steakhouse employee.

I personally would not subject small children to the steakhouse. It can be a long dinner and and intimately quiet. The price is the same for children but as I think about it we have never experienced any children under the age of 12 in the steakhouse. Good Luck!

Took the whole family last cruise, myself, DH, DD22, DS16, and DD7. LOTS of food, DS ate everyones left overs, but and DD7 was good and enjoyed it. First cruise we took all 3 children at the same time, prolly the last family cruise....so we wanted to splurge....they did not offer DD7 a childs MDR, but we knew that going in....she loved the dessert:)

ive taken my son twice (once at age 5 and once at age 6). We are booked again at age 7 on the legend in August.

He goes out to eat with us every Saturday night so he is used to sitting and waiting for a decent meal.

But I do agree with the others, the portions are quite large. He couldn't finish all of his food so my husband ate the extra :)

He prefers to eat with us and then join his buddies in the club.

We just got off the sunshine last week and took our 2 year old to the steak house. He was very well behaved. We were not charged $35 for him and they were kind enough to get him a plate of chicken nuggets from the MDR childrens menu, which they offered to do.. I didn't ask.

I don't know if they just went above and beyond or if that is the norm. You can stop by the steak house before your reservation and talk to them about it though. I am willing to bet you'll find them very accommodating.

Only if they order an entree off the steakhouse menu. They may offer you other options. Some grab kiddie food from other locations. We were offered side dishes instead, but went for the entree. And we thanked them for all the options offered to us.

They didn't charge your two year old because he ordered off the MDR menu. The cover charge only includes your entree and gratuity. Anything else in the steakhouse is complimentary.

I have never seen any kids in the steakhouse.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

My first and only time so far..Easter Sunday...first night...5 day to Cabo from LA..Carnival spirit 2012..Family of 5...all young kids..not bad..but not good..LOL..arrived about 30 minutes into the silence by the window....changed the scene.:(:)

There was a poster on these boards that said they worked in the steakhouse that said the same exact thing.

Thank you all for your responses. It helps.

To be honest, my family don't cruise that often (this is our 2nd one in 4 years.) On our last trip, we skipped the steak house mainly because we knew the kids wouldn't enjoy the steak that much. Now they are 11 and 7 years old, we want them to enjoy the food and the experience.

I appreciate the honest comments from some posters that kids shouldn't be in the steak house. I completely understand what you mean. Fortunately, my husband and I don't have the problems that some other parents have. Every time we take our kids to a formal event, they make us look so good as parents because of their table manners.

We will try the steak house this time. Happy cruising everyone!

Edited by botbienvn

Just curious--where did you find the tip amount that is included? Carnival has always been vague about the amount of the cover that is considered gratuity and I'm not sure they've (the social media gurus) have ever given a direct answer about it.

The Steakhouse is a much more quiet setting just wondering is that the best place to take small children? Perhaps they would enjoy Camp Carnival a whole lot more and speaking as an adult looking for a peaceful upscale dinner I think the other patrons in the Steakhouse will appreciate that choice as well

Just curious--where did you find the tip amount that is included? Carnival has always been vague about the amount of the cover that is considered gratuity and I'm not sure they've (the social media gurus) have ever given a direct answer about it.

Simple deduction my dear Carnival_bride. When the surcharge was $30 and the extra entree charge was $18, I deducted 18 from 30 and came up with a $12 tip. When the surcharge went to $35, and the entree went to $20, I did the same and came up with $15. Now is that service 7 times better than the service in the MDR where you tip $2, you decide.

The Steakhouse is a much more quiet setting just wondering is that the best place to take small children? Perhaps they would enjoy Camp Carnival a whole lot more and speaking as an adult looking for a peaceful upscale dinner I think the other patrons in the Steakhouse will appreciate that choice as well

All age patrons are welcome. There is no age limit. We've been taking the kids since they were 7 and 5, and order accordingly, know we will get a taste of different options.

Simple deduction my dear Carnival_bride. When the surcharge was $30 and the extra entree charge was $18, I deducted 18 from 30 and came up with a $12 tip. When the surcharge went to $35, and the entree went to $20, I did the same and came up with $15. Now is that service 7 times better than the service in the MDR where you tip $2, you decide.

I believe your info is flawed. No way does a waiter get a $15 tip per person for serving in the steakhouse. I'm sure the waiters would love to get a $15 tip.

Disconnections,

Also, as far as everything's being complimentary except for the entree, I know the reasoning you use, but I don't agree with you. I have seen where you have posted that you can ask for the soup etc. to be served in the MDR, but if everyone who reads your posts did that, I believe Carnival would stop allowing it. I believe the Maitre D' allows this to be done as he might get a tip from the cruiser for doing so. The appetizers served in the MDR are not the same quality as those served in the Steak House. The same goes for the desserts.

Will you please post where you have gotten the info that all things other than the entree are complimentary? My thought is that the extra charge for the entree just means that the rest of the meal is a certain price and the tip is the balance of the $15.

I realize that my thoughts may be incorrect, but until I see proof, I will continue to feel as I do. Too many things posted on here are opinions and not facts such as the person who posted for years that the up charge for the Steak House was a tip. Even though she was corrected too many times to mention, she still posted the same thing. I am not saying that is what you are doing, but I would love to see what you post in writing and that doesn't mean another posting on CC from someone's opinion. Thanks so much.

Nobody else in the restaurant seemed to mind at all that our 2 year old was there with us. In fact, he has better manners than many adults. He always says please and thank you and understands what an inside voice is. We took his Leap Pad Ultra and headphones to give him something to do while we had each of our courses. Only one time did he say something loud enough that someone may have noticed, but the large group sitting beside us were being so loud that nobody noticed, not even them.

Some of you need to remember that children aren't the only humans who can be loud in a setting where someone should mind their manners and speak softly....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disconnections,

Also, as far as everything's being complimentary except for the entree, I know the reasoning you use, but I don't agree with you. I have seen where you have posted that you can ask for the soup etc. to be served in the MDR, but if everyone who reads your posts did that, I believe Carnival would stop allowing it. I believe the Maitre D' allows this to be done as he might get a tip from the cruiser for doing so. The appetizers served in the MDR are not the same quality as those served in the Steak House. The same goes for the desserts.

Will you please post where you have gotten the info that all things other than the entree are complimentary? My thought is that the extra charge for the entree just means that the rest of the meal is a certain price and the tip is the balance of the $15.

I realize that my thoughts may be incorrect, but until I see proof, I will continue to feel as I do. Too many things posted on here are opinions and not facts such as the person who posted for years that the up charge for the Steak House was a tip. Even though she was corrected too many times to mention, she still posted the same thing. I am not saying that is what you are doing, but I would love to see what you post in writing and that doesn't mean another posting on CC from someone's opinion. Thanks so much.

You can believe what you want, but unless you specifically ask... they won't tell you what you're paying for. I was told this by the hostess who was assisting the Maître ad' on embarkation day at the time you can meet him for changes and special accommodations. I was informed I had to talk to the hostess about requesting something to be prepared in the dining room for special needs. The hostess then said that she would be able to get something from the steakhouse and when I asked what the charge would be, she said none. She then told me why.

I verified this on the Carnival Legend, the next ship I sailed that had a specialty restaurant. I was informed that this was true and ever since, on every Carnival cruise that had a steakhouse, I have had at least one item served from the steakhouse.

I'm surprised nobody has asked the brand ambassador yet, but he isn't too knowledgable with what is included in the steakhouse cover charge. Last time someone asked him, he said he gratuity was not included.

Edited by Disconnections

Disconnections,

Thank you for your info. I am going to ask for something from the Steak House to be served in the MDR next trip. I don't know yet what it will be, but I will decide when we go to the Steak House the first night.

I am thinking of asking for the Lobster Bisque to be served on a night that isn't usual in the MDR. I love that and I would have it every night if I could. I also love the onion soup so I may request that as I believe we will miss it in the MDR as we are going to the Steak House the first night.

Thanks again for the info and I will let you know how I make out on the Liberty in October.

Good to know. I had no idea there was an extra entree charge. Thanks for that tidbit.

Edited by Carnival_Brides