Classic Carnival Ships

modelman

• 2 weeks later...

One more special Mardi Gras picture. This is my mother and I outside the Italian restaurant on the Magic (taken two weeks ago). We sailed together on the Mardi Gras in 1982. It was my last family vacation prior to the death of my father. Pretty special picture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for sharing all these pics!! Amazing how much cruising has changed over the years. These pics were fun to look at. LOVED THE GUYS IN NIGHTGOWN.. lol... oh and times have def changed after seeing all the ashtrays on the tables in the lounge. My first ship was the Jubilee for high school grad trip... Thanks dad for getting me hooked!!:D

My first cruise was in 1986 with my (late) husband, my sister & brother. We became cruise addicted after that! I miss the male nightgown contest, which we dressed my 6'4'' brother up for along with another guy we met on the ship. The pillow fight, the beer drinking contest were other favorites.

Thanks for starting this thread and for all the contributions from people here. It is incredible how far the cruise ship industry has come in just 30 years. I do think a lot of it has to do with companies like Carnival making it affordable for the masses but maybe it is just everyone's desire to always outdo each other with bigger and better and more elaborate floating cities. I didn't start cruising until 2006 so the oldest ships I can remember were the fantasy class ships but just in the last 10 years ships like the Dream and the Oasis (RCL) have come along and have dwarfed even these luxorious things. I still have my first embarkation photo from my very first cruise in May of 2006, and obviously it is very special to me. It is really interesting how so many of our special memories and times together as families and friends happen on cruises and the attachment we have to cruising as it usually is associated with positive things and good times.

On a side note, I saw some people talked about sign and sail cards from past cruises. Luckily CCL never challenged me when I had my 10th cruise last December in order to get to Platinum but I know a few people have had to show them proof of long ago cruises to get credit for them. It made me think. I should have kept all my s/s cards from past cruises just for my personal scrapbook but I never really did. I went back a few weeks ago to try to find all my old cards and so far have only been able to find 5 out of my total of 13 from all my cruises. Kinda sad. Hopefully at some point I will be able to locate the rest of them under piles of lord knows what laying around the house. It is also amazing how different just the cards and their designs are now from even just 10 years ago.

25 yeArs of sailing for us. Our first cruise was on the Carnivale I 1989. How special we all felt to take such a fabulous vacation . We didn't trip going through the doorways instead, we lifted our feet as we stepped over every doorway in our home for almost a week after the cruise. It took a while before we were able to cruise again but it became our favorite way to vacation with Carnival as our favorite line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a side note, I saw some people talked about sign and sail cards from past cruises. Luckily CCL never challenged me when I had my 10th cruise last December in order to get to Platinum but I know a few people have had to show them proof of long ago cruises to get credit for them. It made me think. I should have kept all my s/s cards from past cruises just for my personal scrapbook but I never really did. I went back a few weeks ago to try to find all my old cards and so far have only been able to find 5 out of my total of 13 from all my cruises. Kinda sad. Hopefully at some point I will be able to locate the rest of them under piles of lord knows what laying around the house. It is also amazing how different just the cards and their designs are now from even just 10 years ago.

I didn't keep any of my sail & sign cards... even if I did I'm pretty sure that they didn't have them when we sailed the first time in 1990... but luckily I still had our embarkation photo showing the ship and the date, so they gave us credit for those days...

What an awesome thread! Looking at the old Carnival pictures was so cool! Carnival sure has come a long way. I got addicted to cruising in 2011 on the Carnival Pride and I hope to cruise for many, many years to come. I can't imagine what the progress will be in the next 30 plus years.

What an awesome thread! Looking at the old Carnival pictures was so cool! Carnival sure has come a long way. I got addicted to cruising in 2011 on the Carnival Pride and I hope to cruise for many, many years to come. I can't imagine what the progress will be in the next 30 plus years.

This is an excellent thread isn't it!!!! :D

By the way, I still really like the picture of your cat! :)

Great thread thanks all for posting.

I also had to find my old sale n sign card for royal Caribbean in order to get points as they had no record despite me giving them exact dates and cabin number of my cruise in 2005. Fortunately I still had it so now am much more conscious of keeping all cards. I store them in a small box with the passports in a small safe.