More excursions questions first timers

AK Dreaming

I posted this in the Alaska forum but did not get any responses. Hopefully someone on Princess has some advice.

We are sailing the first week of June on Princess and trying to decide on excursions. It seems to be much cheaper to book with a company like "Liquid Alaska Tours" who seem to offer guarantees about getting back to your ship? Has anyone else used them or someone like them? Is it better to book directly with the individual tour providers in each city or just pay the extra for booking with the cruise line? Also, I know this will be opinion but is it better to take a helicopter tour in Juneau or Skagway?

Thank you, any help apprectiate. I know we are running out of time.

Have you joined your roll call? Check there to see if you could join in on some private tours with fellow cruisers.:)

We used both Princess and private tours on our cruise. Yes, you could be running out of time.:eek:

I posted this in the Alaska forum but did not get any responses. Hopefully someone on Princess has some advice.

We are sailing the first week of June on Princess and trying to decide on excursions. It seems to be much cheaper to book with a company like "Liquid Alaska Tours" who seem to offer guarantees about getting back to your ship? Has anyone else used them or someone like them? Is it better to book directly with the individual tour providers in each city or just pay the extra for booking with the cruise line? Also, I know this will be opinion but is it better to take a helicopter tour in Juneau or Skagway?

When we did Alaska, we opted for private tours in three of four ports...

In Skagway, we did a tour with these guys:

http://www.southeasttours.com/

They arranged a combo sightseeing tour through White Pass into the Yukon and horseback riding at Emerald Lake for us--better than anything the cruise line had on the excursions docket...and for a lower price...

In Juneau, we did the helicopter glacier landing with these guys:

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

Our helicopter ride went deeper into the icefields than the one through the cruise line...and, again, for a lower cost...

In Ketchikan, we booked nothing in advance...just got off the ship and wandered into the little tourism building right by the pier and chose a tour that sounded good to us--there were lots of little desks/booths inside selling any sort of tour you could imagine...prices were pretty good...

PS.: No problem with any issues like getting back to the ship on time...These guys all seem to be pros who are very accustommed to dealing with the ship schedules...We were back in plenty of time after each tour...

Edited by Bruin Steve

These guys sound like a Consolidator and not the tour operator themselves. I'd book directly with the vendor if possible. Read the Alaska board and you will quickly get a feel for recommended vendors in each port. Also once you arrive there will be many vendor booths dockside in each port to book excursions. Usually much cheaper than thru the cruise line and usually a smaller group, more personal tour.

I would agree that you are not running out of time for private excursions-you have been long out of time for the first week in June....

BTW, the weather's great right now! I hope it holds for you....

My wife and my first Princess cruise was to Alaska and, at that time, we felt more comfortable going through Princess. We enjoyed our tours (the Dangerous Catch boat in Ketchikan and a bus to the Yukon; our glacier helicopter landing in Juneau was cancelled due to weather) and would recommend them.

Since then, we've branched out more in terms of looking at private tour companies rather than just going through Princess, and we've had great experiences with them as well. I think that for something that involves a helicopter or a plane, i'd still probably prefer to go through Princess, but generally speaking, its all about your comfort level. For the most part, if Princess offers it, someone else does as well, and it will probably be cheaper. On the other hand, if returning on time or accountability if something goes awry are a big concern, it may make sense to stay with Princess.

I have always booked our excursions through the cruise lines. That's just my personal preference. The good folks here on CC have given you some sound advice. Don't wait much longer or you may not get the excursions you want. Booking on line through the cruise website is easy.

Happy cruising! Alaska is an amazing place!

Edited by JimAOk1945