Cruise Insurance am I really covered?

LucyTX

For everyone who has bought cruise insurance but never used it, I am writing this for you to be aware of what is required.

Last month my sister-in-law passed away due to heart failure after dealing with cancer for two years. I was scheduled to take a cruise 5 days after receiving this news. I called the insurance company I had taken out my cruise insurance with and asked if this was a covered reason. I was told that it was covered as she was a sister-in-law.

NO ONE ASKED WHAT THE CAUSE OF DEATH WAS! I WAS TOLD IT WAS COVERED.

Death in certain instances are not covered, as in suicide.

I was told at that time that the first thing I should do is call the cruise line and cancel the cruise. Paperwork would be emailed to me to submit a claim.

This is what I had to submit for the claim:

1. Trip cancellation form provided by the insurer

2. Proof of loss: a death certificate (IT DOES NOT STATE A CAUSE OF DEATH TO BE INCLUDED ON THE DEATH CERTIFICATE)

3. Proof of payment: I had to make photo copies of my credit card statement showing transactions for not only the cruise, but statement showing the purchase of the insurance

4. Airline ticket info - I was driving to the port so didn’t need, but if you do, you will need copy of the ticket, ticket number & travel date

5. Cruise cancellation policy

6. Photo copy of credit card statement showing refund of any monies by cruise company. Fyi – when you cancel your cruise you are refunded tax and port charges. This is VERY important to know because when you purchase cruise insurance you do NOT have to include this amount to be insured. Only insure the cost of what you are not going to be refunded!

So, I sent in all the requested documents via priority mail. A week later I receive an email saying they received my claim. Five days later I receive an email stating that the death certificate I sent in did not have a CAUSE OF DEATH listed. They will not process claim without having this on the death certificate.

Now I have to ask my brother in law to request a death certificate that has this listed for me. I felt bad asking for the first death certificate, now I am really feeling awkward.

I called the insurance company and was told that the cause of death must be included because not all deaths are covered. I asked to speak to a supervisor and 24 hours later have received no call back.

I never knew there were different death certificates, some that say cause of death and others that do not list this. I have since learned this happens in the state of Florida.

On the insurance paperwork it merely says to include death certificate and I feel it is wrong to have to go back now and request this.

Any opinions or experiences with other cruise critic members?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sorry for your loss.

This is standard practice for any claims in regards to someone's death not just by the cruise insurance company. They require the Certified copy of the Death Certificate filed with the State the deceased resided in by the coroner in the county he or she died in. This copy should have the cause of death listed on it.

You can order a Death Certificate for your sister-inlaw directly from the state vital statistic office without involving your brother.

Thank you for telling us of your experience. We are very sorry for your loss.

I know that in life insurance, suicide may not be covered, but I find it interesting that the rep told you that not all deaths are covered for travel insurance. Hopefully, this is not an issue either way.

Do you have your full policy? I recommend you read it from cover to cover, see if any exclusions are listed on the policy, and go from there. I also would not depend on a supervisor to call back, but would call today and sit on hold with a set of questions ready after fully reading the policy.

If the insurance company does not follow what is in their policy that they issued to you, please contact your state insurance commissioner for advice.

I believe that a death that was expected (not sure of the legal/insurance/medical term is) is not covered. For example, if you parent has a terminal illness and has a high likelihood of dying when you are travelling, you would not be covered. There is a very fine line here.....for example, if a parent has cancer and has an expectation of six months to live and you book a cruise (with or without pre-existing conditions covered), it's unlikely the insurance company would pay if that death occurred while you are away. Insurance companies insure against the unexpected, not the expected.

Hopefully the OP will not run into any difficulties.

Sorry for your loss.

This is standard practice for any reactive claims in regards to someone's death not just by the cruise insurance company. They e defaultrequire the Certified copy of the Death Certificate thefiled with the State the deceased resided in by the coroner in the county he or she died in. This copy should have the cause of death listed on it.

S

You can order a Death Certificate for your sister-inlaw directly from the state vital statistic office without involving your brother.

DC without a cause of death are the default in some states, I know NJ is one of them.

Sorry for your loss.

This is standard practice for any reactive claims in regards to someone's death not just by the cruise insurance company. They e defaultrequire the Certified copy of the Death Certificate thefiled with the State the deceased resided in by the coroner in the county he or she died in. This copy should have the cause of death listed on it.

S

Sorry for your loss.

DC's without a cause of death are the default in some states, I know NJ is one of them.

The insurance policy was purchased within 10 days of booking cruise and thus covered pre-existing conditions.

I was told only next of kin could request death certificate that states cause of death because that is private information.

I don't know why the initial person I spoke to said it was covered and stated they needed a "death certificate" When they needed a "death certificate" stating the cause of death. Seems like they are trying to get out of it to me.

The insurance policy was purchased within 10 days of booking cruise and thus covered pre-existing conditions.

I was told only next of kin could request death certificate that states cause of death because that is private information.

I don't know why the initial person I spoke to said it was covered and stated they needed a "death certificate" When they needed a "death certificate" stating the cause of death. Seems like they are trying to get out of it to me.

Lucy...stick with it. Insurance company claims are, likely by design, time consuming....perhaps in an attempt to find some loophole where they don't need to pay. Just give them what they ask for and resist the urge to give them additional information they didn't ask for because that will just delay things more.

Just wondering if a policy with "cancel for any reason" have this same problem:confused:

I would think a cancel for any reason policy would only need the items related to proof of payment and documenting any refunds such as port taxes, etc. However the cancel for any reason policies I've seen have lower benefits for the "any reason" as opposed to higher benefits for specifically covered reasons so they'd still need all the "reason" documentation if the claim is for the higher covered reason benefit.

...I don't know why the initial person I spoke to said it was covered and stated they needed a "death certificate" When they needed a "death certificate" stating the cause of death. Seems like they are trying to get out of it to me.

Insurance companies always try to get out of claims if the claims are not covered. The higher the amount of the claim the more they will scrutinize the claim to determine if everything meets the fine print of the policy. They will dot the i's and cross the t's and check every detail. But assuming that your claim does meet the policy requirements (sounds like it does if the preexisting condition isn't an issue) then I'd say the additional data was probably a bad communication problem between the intial person you talked to who was probably a general customer service clerk, and the claims adjuster working on your claim who is making sure everything meets the fine print.

Just heard back from insurance company that they will make an exception and pay my claim. They wanted to make sure it was not a suicide because that is not a covered reason. Since the death certificate I submitted said place of death was a hospital they are going to assume it was not a hospital suicide and pay my claim.

This has been a true burden on family...I hope others will benefit from what I have written.

I am sorry for your loss, and the unfortunate paperwork that followed. And I am pleased to hear they honored the policy.

Thank you for sharing your story. Is it possible to share the company you used?

I have insured six cruises during the time my father fought a cancer battle. His chemo was stopped and he was turned over to hospice two months after we purchased our insurance. When we purchased the last time I was asked if he had been given a time to live, and he had not.

As it turns out he passed away 10 days before we left for a cruise. We did take that cruise, but now I am wondering if the insurance would have covered it.

Just heard back from insurance company that they will make an exception and pay my claim. They wanted to make sure it was not a suicide because that is not a covered reason. Since the death certificate I submitted said place of death was a hospital they are going to assume it was not a hospital suicide and pay my claim.

This has been a true burden on family...I hope others will benefit from what I have written.

Glad to hear the insurance will be paying your claim.

Just wondering if a policy with "cancel for any reason" have this same problem:confused:

My thought is if one bought within "waiver of pre-existing condition" timeframe. Example is if "mom" is deathly ill and you knew it, it probably would not be covered. It makes sense.

My thought is if one bought within "waiver of pre-existing condition" timeframe. Example is if "mom" is deathly ill and you knew it, it probably would not be covered. It makes sense.

Sorry, but I'm confused......what good is the "cancel for any reason " clause then relating to your example:confused:.

Sorry, but I'm confused......what good is the "cancel for any reason " clause then relating to your example:confused:.

cancel for any reason requires no reason to cancel your trip up to 1 or 2 days prior to the trip. Doesn't matter if someone dies or you decide you want to stay home with your pet squirrel....they will pay per the policy. However once you are on the cruise, pre-existing conditions come into play and you are subject to the pre-existing condition clauses in the contract.

So if you have a relative with a critical illness and they pass away prior to your cruise, you are covered (if you have cancel for any reason), but if they pass away after the cruise has started, it may not be quite so easy since it is something that is anticipated, therefore (most likely) not covered. the pre-existing condition clause also would (most likely) not apply to something happening to that individual since it's anticipated.

If you have a situation like this, it's important to understand your policy...that is, the fine print in the policy....before it happens....or you may have an unexpected disappointment.

We have purchased cruises so far out, it was too early to get a policy and would be well beyond the pre existing waiver.

Not sure what covers this issue.

huh? why can't you buy a policy and what do you mean by "well beyond the pre-existing waiver" statement?

We purchased a 2016 Galapagos cruise. The travel agent we transferred to told us we could not purchase a policy that would cover pre existing conditions, because the cruise was too far out.

I should have said by the time we would be eligible to purchase, it would be beyond the pre existing waiver time limit.

Edited by hulamoon

cancel for any reason requires no reason to cancel your trip up to 1 or 2 days prior to the trip. Doesn't matter if someone dies or you decide you want to stay home with your pet squirrel....they will pay per the policy. However once you are on the cruise, pre-existing conditions come into play and you are subject to the pre-existing condition clauses in the contract.

So if you have a relative with a critical illness and they pass away prior to your cruise, you are covered (if you have cancel for any reason), but if they pass away after the cruise has started, it may not be quite so easy since it is something that is anticipated, therefore (most likely) not covered. the pre-existing condition clause also would (most likely) not apply to something happening to that individual since it's anticipated.

If you have a situation like this, it's important to understand your policy...that is, the fine print in the policy....before it happens....or you may have an unexpected disappointment.

Thanks, appreciate your explanation and now understand;). We always purchase insurance at the time we book to cover all bases with the pre-existing condition.

Cancel for any reason is totally different. AND it's An expensive route to go.

We have purchased cruises so far out, it was too early to get a policy and would be well beyond the pre existing waiver.

Not sure what covers this issue.

We have pre-existing conditions. We purchase our cruises well in advance of sailing.

The company I use allows me to pay the minimum premium, basically covering the deposits, to insure we are covered within the proper period of time. As we add to the cost, like airfare, we increase the value of the policy to cover our financial outlay. When we make final payment, we pay the balance of the premium that covers our outlay.

This is extremely helpful in situations where you have to cancel the cruise as you don't lose the full amount of your premium.

We purchased a 2016 Galapagos cruise. The travel agent we transferred to told us we could not purchase a policy that would cover pre existing conditions, because the cruise was too far out.

I should have said by the time we would be eligible to purchase, it would be beyond the pre existing waiver time limit.

You need to do your own research. Many companies will let you insure for trips in the future as long as you have put a deposit on them.

In 2011 2 days prior to our cruise my sister died unexpectedly. The cruise insurance quickly settled the claim & covered the cost of the cancelled cruise. Of course the airline gave us a credit for our tickets to be used within 1 year. The death certificate stated cause of death as COPD of 20 yrs duration. No question -simply paid. We were very thankful .