Texting at Sea

Nightowl11

Has anyone had any experience with the apps, Connect@Sea or OceanPhone Mobile? Does it work well and does it save you money to text other passengers? I am trying to find a way to text on board to my family members that are also on board without incurring a lot of fees. We all have iPhones and we all have AT&T service.

Edited by Nightowl11

If you text on board you will be charged for using the ship's system and its more than when you text at home plus your carrier's charges. The person you are texting would probably also be charged. I don't text so can't tell you the charges, maybe someone else can. You can text off the ship in a port as that's not using the ship's system. To stay in touch on a ship tell each other where you'll be and when. When we cruise with friends we know where to find each other. You can also put post its on their cabin door.

Check with your carrier...Sprint, while international roaming on cruise ship, is: "Sent: $0.50/recipient; Received: $0.15/message".

EDIT: Apparently, AT&T has "packages" for certain cruise ships for voice, messaging and data:

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise

Edited by TinCan782
added additional info

Don't know if anyone has said this but the walls on the ship are steel. I can't get voicemail or make a call from my cabin no mater what deck I am on. I always go to an open deck to make a call.