May vs. September cruise

Alaska05

Now that DH is retiring from his principal's job, we want to head back to Alaska.

I'm seeking opinions on preferences for May vs. September since we've always cruised Alaska in July.

Any big weather differences? I'm thinking May might be cooler just coming off winter. But I could be wrong.

In comparing prices for late August-September 2014 vs. May 2015, I'm finding it a little cheaper for May 2015 which surprised me.

It's been 7 years since our last Alaska cruise and I'm anxious to get back.

Edited by Alaska05

Now that DH is retiring from his principal's job, we want to head back to Alaska.

I'm seeking opinions on preferences for May vs. September since we've always cruised Alaska in July.

Any big weather differences? I'm thinking May might be cooler just coming off winter. But I could be wrong.

In comparing prices for late August-September 2014 vs. May 2015, I'm finding it a little cheaper for May 2015 which surprised me.

We've done Alaska in September (late in month) and a cruisetour May/June (cruise was beginning of June).

The biggest difference we found was the number of daylight hours (more in June, less in September).

We found the weather quite similar on both cruises. It was generally around the mid 50s most days and grey and drizzly both times we were in Glacier Bay and Juneau.

RT ? NB? SB?

Weather is unpredictable ... and it won't be the same from one year to the next.

What are your interests and priorities? Keep in mind that some activities have very short windows of time at various locations. ie bear viewing trips. So if you have priorities, research where you need to be and when.

May is the shoulder season. If you cruise NB with plans to do a land tour, keep in mind that some sights and activities won't be open until Memorial Day or might not be accessible due to snow and slush. And the road into Denali doesn't open to Wonder LAke until around June 10, to Eielson on June 1. So if you go NB go as late in May as possible.

After the first week of Sept the chance for a fall storm is higher ... heavy rain, strong winds which can be miserable. OTOH, if you're lucky enough to have good weather, the fall colors up north are spectacular. We were in Denali mid Aug and experienced a dusting of snow, and the fall colors were just starting.

My last trip was the last 2 weeks of Aug ... it was the worst weather we've experienced so far, but we had the best wildlife sightings, esp moose which begin their rut nr the end of Aug. But I've had crummy weather on all 4 trips. Maybe 5 days out of 45, without rain. I haven't been in June so my next trip will be early to mid June.

We can cruise Alaska any month...and have always opted for May...love the budget prices...weather...and being there the first of the season...leaving again May 30th :D

We have cruised Alaska 6 times in May and 4 times in September. Weatherwise, doesn't make much difference. We have generally had beautiful weather in both months but there are no guarantees in Alaska, including June, July, and August. I watch the webcams all summer and often in the summer there is fog and rain so just because a travel agent says you "must" go in July or August, don't believe it! Both May and September are less expensive and offer a wonderful experience.

In May, you have the big advantage of longer days to enjoy the wonderful scenery. There is snow on the mountaintops, which in our opinion, is more scenic. We go to the Yukon, from Skagway, and think the scenery is more attractive with snow. The downside of May is that the salmon are not running, therefore there is less chance of seeing bears down by the rivers catching salmon. Having said that, there is more chance of seeing them near the roads looking for berries after their hibernation. We have seen them at both times. The resident whales are always in Auke Bay but the traveling whales sometimes are not there by early May, however, we have had good whale watching experiences in both months.

In September, the salmon are running and often the streams and rivers look as though you could walk across them on salmon. It is the time when we have seen the bears scooping the salmon out of the rivers to give to their cubs. We have been in Denali in September and seen the incredible fall colors and viewed Mt. McKinley without a cloud in the sky.

Pick the month that works best for you; no matter when you go, you can't predict the weather and you will love it, no matter what! We leave Aug 30th for a 2 week B2B.

For me its a no brainer, since May is the Dry month? We have had very little rain in our May cruises, while the days are long, and it is quite warm.

The only down side is that you will miss out on the 'End of season' sales, but those damp Sept. days should, IMO be avoided.

john

Sent from my iPhone using Forums