Tough Decision, the Falklands and NCL or Punta Del Este with RCCL

clojacks

It probably isn't really a fair comparison IF ONE DOES get to stop in the Falklands, but, if what I have been reading is correct, the King is the only Penguin in the Falklands that is unique to any of the other ports, correct? I have a feeling I would be ecstatic to see ANY penguins anywhere else, and if we weren't able to stop in the Falklands, which doesn't sound unusual, I would now have missed one of the port days, whereas Royal would not. ANY input whatsoever to help me arrive at a decision of Norwegian Sun or Rhapsody of the Seas in February of 2016 would be appreciated. Whether it be ship based reasoning, dining decisions, or the aura of the ship, any opinions would be appreciated.

During a port day at Stanley (Falklands), it is easy to see King, Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins, along with many other types of interesting seabirds and waterbirds. At the ports in Argentina and Chile, the Magellanic is the only penguin species normally seen. Another consideration is that, though the risk of missing Stanley is probably somewhat higher, the southern South American ports (Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia and Punta Arenas) are also sometimes missed due to weather or other reasons. We have done an 'around the Horn' cruise twice; on the first trip we had a great day in Stanley but missed Punta Arenas. On the 2nd trip, we missed Stanley. During cruises in that part of the world, one must accept that the weather is highly variable and there is a chance that one (or more) ports will be missed. The Falklands are unique, and are of interest because of their history, landscape, resolute population, and remoteness -- not just for the diversity of penguins. If we get back to that region, we will no doubt opt for a cruise that is scheduled to stop in the Falklands.

John

At the risk of complicating your decision, one related issue is whether the Falklands/Malvinas tensions will affect cruising when you travel. Depending on the year, ships that stop (or are scheduled to stop) in the Falklands could be at increased risk of complications at ports in Argentina.

John

At the risk of complicating your decision, one related issue is whether the Falklands/Malvinas tensions will affect cruising when you travel. Depending on the year, ships that stop (or are scheduled to stop) in the Falklands could be at increased risk of complications at ports in Argentina.

John

Unlikely. The Falklands had a referendum March, 2013 and voted 99% in favour of remaining a British overseas territory. Ships also do not go from the Falklands directly to Argentina any more, so Argentina doesn't see Falklands in the log and they don't bother the ship.

Unlikely. The Falklands had a referendum March, 2013 and voted 99% in favour of remaining a British overseas territory. Ships also do not go from the Falklands directly to Argentina any more, so Argentina doesn't see Falklands in the log and they don't bother the ship.

Unlikely but still some slight risk, I suspect -- especially when planning a trip a year or more in the future. Ships travelling from the Falklands via Cape Horn (Chile) to Ushuaia (Argentina) have occasionally had difficulties upon reaching Ushuaia despite having most recently been in Chilean waters. Also, Argentina rejects the legitimacy of the 2013 Falklands referendum. Nonetheless, if we were returning to the area, I would not let the slight uncertainty affect a decision about cruise itinerary. Chances are good that, for any one port visit, there will be no problems.

Definitely concur with Keith1010 that anyone interested in penguins should plan to see Magellanic Penguins at a South American port as well as seeing the various species in the Falklands -- important in case a port (especially the Falklands) is missed.

John

Edited by J-D

we were on the golden princess in march and stopped at the falklands. they said the golden had stopped the last 4 times!! we had seen the magelan penguins on a previous port(porto tombo) which was a longgg walk, but oh my, the falklands/volunteer point was amazing!! the 4x4 prip wass fun, bumpy but interesting. but when we stopped there they were!! king penguins and loads of them some with eggs and most with little ones, so cute and fuzzy. the kings stay in the falklands. other penguins migrate and may have fewer penguins. also saw gentu and magellan as well. all walking around us...Amazing!!

Here are a few of the many Gentoo Penguins at the Bluff Cove colony on East Falkland during a very rainy day in Feb. 2010. Bluff Cove also has a few King Penguins.

John

1217178803_22FeFalk-J023c.jpg.6debfcc7eec9a837e7ff27a533525b3b.jpg

1166812137_22FeFalk-J020c.jpg.fdf6a728d9d8333207ba69e83b3a0092.jpg

Edited by J-D