My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

Haha..BTW enjoyed watching the video of your recent cruise. :)

Thanks for your support! The review is still ongoing. I am going a bit crazy making videos.

Here are two more.

First day of 2016. Went jogging and started to rain. So I whipped out my phone to make a V Log.

[YOUTUBE]ja2w9HvO7Tk[/YOUTUBE]

Last day of 2015. Went to try the new Downtown Line 2. Free rides.

[YOUTUBE]UrSVVTzhXrI[/YOUTUBE]

Last day of 2015. Was at the Jacob Ballas Garden (Singapore Botanic Gardens) with the kids. And I took the slide, which was meant for kids. Had a blast.

[YOUTUBE]CbBzISSzTms[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...
Silly me! I am already living in the past.

It starts 16 jan 16.

http://chinatownfestivals.sg/chinatown-chinese-new-year-celebrations-2016/

Really appreciate all the posts. We will be in Singapore for 3days before joining our cruise on February 14. I was excited to see the additional information about the Chinatown lighting and will make sure that is an evening activity. So much to see and so little time!

Really appreciate all the posts. We will be in Singapore for 3days before joining our cruise on February 14. I was excited to see the additional information about the Chinatown lighting and will make sure that is an evening activity. So much to see and so little time!

WELCOME to Singapore!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Singapore in early March for 3 days. We are 2 women interested in seeing main sights. Not really interested in shopping except for perhaps crafts or things made in Singapore. We are experienced travelers but are concerned about getting around in the safest way. Normally we do-it-ourselves touring but are open to guided tours. Any information will be appreciated.

Unfortunately, the lights will only stay up till 3rd Jan. I don't think they light up Orchard Road for Chinese New Year.

Yes, the Henderson Waves are not well known when it comes to tourism, and neither is the Forest Walk which can be seen in this video below.

F9n1D650TBk

The Henderson Waves and the Forest Walk are very close to each other. As to the best way to get there, I got to do some research to see the public transport options. I drive there, so that is easy for me.

Thanks for the info ..

We will be in Singapore in early March for 3 days. We are 2 women interested in seeing main sights. Not really interested in shopping except for perhaps crafts or things made in Singapore. We are experienced travelers but are concerned about getting around in the safest way. Normally we do-it-ourselves touring but are open to guided tours. Any information will be appreciated.

G'day Katesowner,

Singapore is one of the safest places 2 women on their own could visit anywhere in the world!! If not the safest!! I have been to Singapore several times and have ventured out without the hubby, on the MRT, to places I have wanted to go, without any problems what so ever. And my daughter I were there in 2014 with late nights most nights, and not once were we worried. It is a modern, first world city, with lovely glimpses into it's colonial past.

If you study what sights you want to see, using the MRT, is a great way to get there. Or there is the Hop on hop off bus, that takes you to all the major attractions, which how we got ourselves familiar with the city, the first couple of times we visited. This is a great value way to comfortably get from one place to another. If you enjoy walking, with the help of a good map, many of Singapores main attractions are close to each other, and you get to see so much more!

Probably the only reason to get a tour guide would be if you were interested in doing a food type tour, and certainly getting a local to take you to all the hidden gems tourists would never be aware of, would make for a delicious evening.

Little India can be quite busy in the evening, crowded and sometimes people can be pushy when you walk along, but it's just a sanitised version of the real India, but with lots of colour, noise and smells - great fun!!!

The usual rules of travel apply, keep your valuables safe, look left, look right, look left again when crossing the road, stay organised and be friendly and you'll have an amazing time in this fabulous island city:D

Wangeling gal

Edited by wangeling gal

Thanks, Wangeling Gal! Good to know that the MRT is safe. We are thinking of staying at the airport hotel to avoid having to deal with luggage. We always enjoy the scenery when we travel by train or bus, so the commute probably wouldn't be an issue. The HOHO bus is something I hadn't thought of. We do enjoy walking.

If you have other suggestions, please write again!

Thanks!

Katesowner

We used Betel Box Tours for a walking food tour of Joo Chiat / Katong neighborhoods. Loved it. Really got acquainted with the food, the people, the history, the diversity, not the mention the chilli crab. We've done walking food tours in Shanghai, Hoi An, Istanbul, Siem Reap and a few more. This one ranks in our top two - and all of them were worth doing. And maybe doing again. If we have time on next visit to Singapore, we'll add another Betel Box tour along with a return visit to Jurong Bird Park and the Zoo.

We used Betel Box Tours for a walking food tour of Joo Chiat / Katong neighborhoods. Loved it. Really got acquainted with the food, the people, the history, the diversity, not the mention the chilli crab. We've done walking food tours in Shanghai, Hoi An, Istanbul, Siem Reap and a few more. This one ranks in our top two - and all of them were worth doing. And maybe doing again. If we have time on next visit to Singapore, we'll add another Betel Box tour along with a return visit to Jurong Bird Park and the Zoo.

This looks wonderful. I am so sad though that they don't offer tours on Mondays--the day our cruise stops for an overnight port stop.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

G'day Katesowner,

Singapore is one of the safest places 2 women on their own could visit anywhere in the world!! If not the safest!! I have been to Singapore several times and have ventured out without the hubby, on the MRT, to places I have wanted to go, without any problems what so ever. And my daughter I were there in 2014 with late nights most nights, and not once were we worried. It is a modern, first world city, with lovely glimpses into it's colonial past.

If you study what sights you want to see, using the MRT, is a great way to get there. Or there is the Hop on hop off bus, that takes you to all the major attractions, which how we got ourselves familiar with the city, the first couple of times we visited. This is a great value way to comfortably get from one place to another. If you enjoy walking, with the help of a good map, many of Singapores main attractions are close to each other, and you get to see so much more!

Probably the only reason to get a tour guide would be if you were interested in doing a food type tour, and certainly getting a local to take you to all the hidden gems tourists would never be aware of, would make for a delicious evening.

Little India can be quite busy in the evening, crowded and sometimes people can be pushy when you walk along, but it's just a sanitised version of the real India, but with lots of colour, noise and smells - great fun!!!

The usual rules of travel apply, keep your valuables safe, look left, look right, look left again when crossing the road, stay organised and be friendly and you'll have an amazing time in this fabulous island city:D

Wangeling gal

I'm glad to read this. Thanks for reassuring me. I was concerned about using the MRT after dark with a child. We'll give it a go!

Little India sounds interesting!

Mtn_couple

You're welcome. I really can't praise the MRT enough. Clean, fast, cheap, safe. It can get really crowded at peak times - think Melbourne trams at rush hour, but if you get into the front or end carriages it can be a little less crowded.

Little India is great. It's not as 'sterile' as other parts of Singapore, it has a more authentic feel to it. Evening is the best time to visit.

Katesowner

We have caught the MRT from the airport into Central Singapore, with all the luggage & associated stuff that 2 people travelling would use. I found the trick was to stay at a hotel close by a MRT station and there was no problem. It's very cheap to catch the MRT from Changi into the city if you do stay out at an airport hotel, or approx $25 for a taxi, which will drop you at the front door. It can take up to an hour to come in by train though.

My only other advice would be (well I've got tons but.......) if you visit Chinatown try to get away from the real tourist area onto the back streets, where you will find so many of the original buildings intact. Also it's more fun there in the evening, when it seems most of Singapore is out about!!

I'm glad to read this. Thanks for reassuring me. I was concerned about using the MRT after dark with a child. We'll give it a go!

Little India sounds interesting!

WELCOME to Singapore. Give the MRT a try. If you are carrying a young child the first seat near the door are usually "reserved" seating. :)

WELCOME to Singapore. Give the MRT a try. If you are carrying a young child the first seat near the door are usually "reserved" seating. :)

Thanks for the tip. He's 6 so may not qualify. But he does get overwhelmed with crowds. Will try during off peak time and see how he does.

Bring him to Universal Studio Singapore :)

ABSOLUTELY! That's definitely on our list. He loved Movie World in Gold Coast Australia, Universal will be a bigger and better version I imagine. How much time do you think we should allocate to spend there? Bearing in mind he's too short for the adult rides (and im a bit of a scaredy cat so I won't ride with him).

ABSOLUTELY! That's definitely on our list. He loved Movie World in Gold Coast Australia, Universal will be a bigger and better version I imagine. How much time do you think we should allocate to spend there? Bearing in mind he's too short for the adult rides (and im a bit of a scaredy cat so I won't ride with him).

I bring my little one and we stayed there approximately 5 hrs per trip (on weekdays) but we do have Express Annual Pass so the waiting time for the rides are shorter. You may wish to spend the whole day and evening at Sentosa. There are many things to do or see besides USS like the Crane show in the evening. Last Saturday we were there and the waiting time for the popular rides can be up to 2 hours. You son will probably like trying Transformer, Shrek, Donkey Live, Madagascar, Cyclone, Dragon etc. Most of these rides/shows I mentioned will be fine for you too. My little one is only 3yo :) and she did all except Transformer (height restriction).

http://www.rwsentosa.com/Homepage/Promotions/category/MasterCardPrivileges/item/MCUSS?gclid=CIaL3J2Xx8oCFdIWaAodtWQMXA&gclsrc=aw.ds#item-MasterCardPrivileges-MCUSS

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/Attractions

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/

You may like to read this review for an insight from a traveller to Singapore or posts by iluvcruising2 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278154&highlight=mariner

Edited by cruiserinsg

I bring my little one and we stayed there approximately 5 hrs per trip (on weekdays) but we do have Express Annual Pass so the waiting time for the rides are shorter. You may wish to spend the whole day and evening at Sentosa. There are many things to do or see besides USS like the Crane show in the evening. Last Saturday we were there and the waiting time for the popular rides can be up to 2 hours. You son will probably like trying Transformer, Shrek, Donkey Live, Madagascar, Cyclone, Dragon etc. Most of these rides/shows I mentioned will be fine for you too. My little one is only 3yo :) and she did all except Transformer (height restriction).

http://www.rwsentosa.com/Homepage/Promotions/category/MasterCardPrivileges/item/MCUSS?gclid=CIaL3J2Xx8oCFdIWaAodtWQMXA&gclsrc=aw.ds#item-MasterCardPrivileges-MCUSS

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/Attractions

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/

You may like to read this review for an insight from a traveller to Singapore or posts by iluvcruising2 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278154&highlight=mariner

Thank you so much for your advice and links. Very much looking forward to visiting your city

Wow. Australian and Singapore money arrived. It all has holes in it!!

What do you mean by holes?

Australian notes have small clear panels in them, part of the currency security I think. Other than those there should be no holes.

Thanks, Wangeling Gal! Good to know that the MRT is safe. We are thinking of staying at the airport hotel to avoid having to deal with luggage. We always enjoy the scenery when we travel by train or bus, so the commute probably wouldn't be an issue. The HOHO bus is something I hadn't thought of. We do enjoy walking.

If you have other suggestions, please write again!

Thanks!

Katesowner

Yes, the MRT is very safe. I've travelled to Singapore many times with DH when he's been on a business trip and have happily wandered around by myself day and night.

I would recommend staying in the city though. It's very easy to get a taxi from the airport to a hotel with luggage. By staying in the city you will be far more inclined to go out in the evenings, and Singapore stays alive and buzzy quite late. There are wonderful restaurants and food courts all over the place, every shopping centre has food outlets and there are many, many shopping centres. :D