My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

Thanks, Wangeling Gal! Good to know that the MRT is safe. We are thinking of staying at the airport hotel to avoid having to deal with luggage. We always enjoy the scenery when we travel by train or bus, so the commute probably wouldn't be an issue. The HOHO bus is something I hadn't thought of. We do enjoy walking.

If you have other suggestions, please write again!

Thanks!

Katesowner

Our friends from Hawaii recently stayed at Crowne Plaza at the airport. Nice hotel but suggest that you stay down town for the same price (just my opinion). The reason they stayed at airport hotel was because they had to check into the airport next morning at 4am. :)

I bring my little one and we stayed there approximately 5 hrs per trip (on weekdays) but we do have Express Annual Pass so the waiting time for the rides are shorter. You may wish to spend the whole day and evening at Sentosa. There are many things to do or see besides USS like the Crane show in the evening. Last Saturday we were there and the waiting time for the popular rides can be up to 2 hours. You son will probably like trying Transformer, Shrek, Donkey Live, Madagascar, Cyclone, Dragon etc. Most of these rides/shows I mentioned will be fine for you too. My little one is only 3yo :) and she did all except Transformer (height restriction).

http://www.rwsentosa.com/Homepage/Promotions/category/MasterCardPrivileges/item/MCUSS?gclid=CIaL3J2Xx8oCFdIWaAodtWQMXA&gclsrc=aw.ds#item-MasterCardPrivileges-MCUSS

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/Attractions

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/

You may like to read this review for an insight from a traveller to Singapore or posts by iluvcruising2 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278154&highlight=mariner

Thanks for posting the links! Got a lot of information from there on.

This looks wonderful. I am so sad though that they don't offer tours on Mondays--the day our cruise stops for an overnight port stop.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

No matter! I contacted them anyway and they set up a private tour for 6 of us from the cruise ship.

Thanks for posting the links! Got a lot of information from there on.

You are most welcome. Do go visit Chinatown if you have the time (evening) during your trip here in Singapore in Feb for our Chinese New Year Celebration.

Have fun and a wonderful stay in Singapore. :)

Yes, the MRT is very safe. I've travelled to Singapore many times with DH when he's been on a business trip and have happily wandered around by myself day and night.

I would recommend staying in the city though. It's very easy to get a taxi from the airport to a hotel with luggage. By staying in the city you will be far more inclined to go out in the evenings, and Singapore stays alive and buzzy quite late. There are wonderful restaurants and food courts all over the place, every shopping centre has food outlets and there are many, many shopping centres. :D

Ozkiwijj, cruiserisng, wangling gal...Thanks to all for helpful info. Everyone seems to think staying downtown would be best. Please give suggestions about a downtown hotel, preferably near the MRT.

Also, when you give prices, are you using Singapore $s? What about tipping taxi drivers?

Thanks lots!

You are most welcome. Do go visit Chinatown if you have the time (evening) during your trip here in Singapore in Feb for our Chinese New Year Celebration.

Have fun and a wonderful stay in Singapore. :)

Definitely! Chinatown is on the top of our list for Singapore! Thanks again! So much to see, so little time! We are already thinking of another cruise out of Singapore in 2017! :D

Ozkiwijj, cruiserisng, wangling gal...Thanks to all for helpful info. Everyone seems to think staying downtown would be best. Please give suggestions about a downtown hotel, preferably near the MRT.

Also, when you give prices, are you using Singapore $s? What about tipping taxi drivers?

Thanks lots!

Not necessary downtown Orchard Road. You can book other Hotels near MRT like Osia (Novena MRT), Hotels at Chinatown (Chinatown, Clarke Quay MRT etc) or if you are adventurous and like to experience a Hotel close to Singaporean's housing and neighbourhood try http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/HotelsAndSpa/GentingHotelJurong

It's a very new Hotel. Alternative if you like the sand and beach Hotels, you can try Hotels in Sentosa. http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/HotelsAndSpa/

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/hotels-spas/

As for tipping...There is a no tipping policy in Singapore including Restaurant but very often even we locals do leave loose changes behind. Most Taxi drivers are generally very friendly and most will be willing to offer you tips or suggestions if you ask them.

Welcome to Singapore and hope you have a wonderful time here. :)

Definitely! Chinatown is on the top of our list for Singapore! Thanks again! So much to see, so little time! We are already thinking of another cruise out of Singapore in 2017! :D

Haha come during Christmas period or early August. Singapore National Day is on the 9th August. :)

Not necessary downtown Orchard Road. You can book other Hotels near MRT like Osia (Novena MRT), Hotels at Chinatown (Chinatown, Clarke Quay MRT etc) or if you are adventurous and like to experience a Hotel close to Singaporean's housing and neighbourhood try http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/HotelsAndSpa/GentingHotelJurong

It's a very new Hotel. Alternative if you like the sand and beach Hotels, you can try Hotels in Sentosa. http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/HotelsAndSpa/

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/hotels-spas/

As for tipping...There is a no tipping policy in Singapore including Restaurant but very often even we locals do leave loose changes behind. Most Taxi drivers are generally very friendly and most will be willing to offer you tips or suggestions if you ask them.

Welcome to Singapore and hope you have a wonderful time here. :)

Curious if you know about AirBnb. I've found heaps of apartments for rent on Airbnb for heaps cheaper than hotels. I've used Airbnb in Australia so am familiar with them, but is subletting apartments legal in Singapore?

Curious if you know about AirBnb. I've found heaps of apartments for rent on Airbnb for heaps cheaper than hotels. I've used Airbnb in Australia so am familiar with them, but is subletting apartments legal in Singapore?

It's suppose to be illegal especially those subsidise housing. A fellow cruiser gapearl (same cruiser as us on the Mariner of the Sea) actually booked Airbnb from her 2nd night onwards in Singapore. She "got away" with it hahaha.

It's suppose to be illegal especially those subsidise housing. A fellow cruiser gapearl (same cruiser as us on the Mariner of the Sea) actually booked Airbnb from her 2nd night onwards in Singapore. She "got away" with it hahaha.

Thanks. A lot of people seem to get away with it judging on the number of reviews. Subsidised housing? Would be cheap lower class? We're looking more the luxury end of the scale, pools jacuzzis etc. But don't want to do it if illegal.... Back to Marina Bay Sands as our preferred option I think

Thanks. A lot of people seem to get away with it judging on the number of reviews. Subsidised housing? Would be cheap lower class? We're looking more the luxury end of the scale, pools jacuzzis etc. But don't want to do it if illegal.... Back to Marina Bay Sands as our preferred option I think

It is called HDB flat where majority Singaporean call home. :) What gapearl booked was a condo accommodation.

How many days will you be in Singapore? I did a staycation with my family at Hard Rock Hotel at Sentosa and it was enjoyable. :)

It is called HDB flat where majority Singaporean call home. :) What gapearl booked was a condo accommodation.

How many days will you be in Singapore? I did a staycation with my family at Hard Rock Hotel at Sentosa and it was enjoyable. :)

We have 4 nights.

Thanks lots!

Hi again Katesowner,

Hotels can bring so many different suggestions!! We each have our favourites!! Do you want a budget/medium/high priced hotel & what do you budget at for each category? Is a swimming pool/wifi/breakfast important?

What time does your flight arrive? If at night I would suggest a taxi to your hotel (approx 30$spd)m- then use the MRT and your legs for the rest!!

Last time I stayed in Singapore, I stayed at the Scarlet hotel in Chinatown. Quirky, in a great area, 200m from the closet MRT. (Medium)

The Rendezvous (medium/high) on Bras Basah Rd, is very central, within walking distance to lots of Singapores tourist sites (Raffles, Bugis, Orchard Rd) and really close to Dhobi Ghaut MRT which has 3 lines run through it (except the airport line) which helps you get quickly to other sights like little India, Marina bay, Chinatown. IMHO location is the most important!! I've stayed at different places on each visit and there is only 1 I wouldn't return too & that was because of it's location. I think I've stayed at all levels of accommodation except backpacker!!

I have other suggestions, but I don't want to overwhelm you or seem pushy.;)

The great thing about Singapore is it that it's really easy to research

I'm sure there will be others who come up with other suggestions - it will be unbelievable how different everyone will be!!:o

Edited by wangeling gal

I've often stayed at the hotels around Marina Square / Suntec City (Esplanade and Promenade MRTs, plus air-conditioned underground walkways all the way to City Hall). I really liked the Ritz Carlton which has gorgeous rooms and a nice pool, and the Mandarin Oriental whose rooms are smaller but beautifully appointed and the swimming pool area is awesome.

My husband has stayed at Marina Bay Sands and said that he found the room was very ordinary. He was there on business so didn't get time to use the pool.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW!!! Thanks to all for the great information here..Just booked a cruise for 2017...need to re-read..

I have one question...Is English widely spoken?? reading the posts most items mentioned were in English...

Thanks..

We cruised out of Singapore and did 4 nights pre-cruise at the Royal Plaza on Scotts Road....wonderful hotel and amazing location.

English is the language spoken in Singapore ;)

• 1 month later...

Booked a cruise aboard The Mariner March 2017, we have added 4 nights pre-cruise in Singapore, so looking forward in reading all the information posted, to formulate an itinerary to maximise our adventure

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Singapore for 4 days in Feb. 2017 before leaving on our cruise. Starting to research but there are so many things I want to see that it's a bit overwhelming. We are planning on staying at the Royal Plaza Scotts Road which has received excellent reviews. Now I'm looking for a recommendation for a tour company. I think if we start with a city tour it will give us a good overview of the city. Then we can go back to some areas if we want more time there.

All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Helen

We will be in Singapore for 4 days in Feb. 2017 before leaving on our cruise. Starting to research but there are so many things I want to see that it's a bit overwhelming. We are planning on staying at the Royal Plaza Scotts Road which has received excellent reviews. Now I'm looking for a recommendation for a tour company. I think if we start with a city tour it will give us a good overview of the city. Then we can go back to some areas if we want more time there.

All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Helen

Hi helenpsl

Singapore is a fabulous city and very tourist friendly. I always reccomend the hop on hop off bus for people the first time they visit. It starts at Suntec City. There are two routes the buses take (for the price of one ticket) one through the heritage areas of Singapore , and the other through the city area. It has a running commentary which you listen to through supplied headphones ( you get to keep them) and a map of the route you're taking and where each stop is. I hope this link takes you to the correct page.

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/singapore-bus-tours

I always do a complete circuit first, then stay on and revisit those places which looked interesting.

I believe you can get foodie tours from locals that will take you to out of the way, local eating places, which I will definetly be looking at next time I visit.

Singapore MRT has one of the best public transport systems in the world, cheap, clean and safe, which will get you to most tourist areas within the city.

Enjoy your visit to this amazing city and have a wonderful cruise:D

How fun to be looking forward and planning. We visited Singapore at the end if February and had the most comprehensive tour from Bethel Box tours with guide Tony. It was fun, it was educational, it was a whirlwind. :-) I learned so much about the city, it's history and enjoyed some great eats along the way.

• 3 months later...

I've only just started to work my way through this thread but I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to it in advance. I plan to read every word of it in my attempt to learn what I need to know.

I stumbled onto a pretty good deal on a 10 day cruise on the Sapphire Princess for 30 Dec 2017 with no solo supplement so I jumped on it and booked it. This is definitely moving outside of my comfort zone as all of my travels to date have been confined to North America. So I've got a lot to learn.

Just the thought of figuring out when/how to fly into Singapore and where to stay has me in a cold sweat. It's going to be a long 550 days.