overnighting in port

seahawkfan

Has anyone stayed in a resort or a hotel while overnighting in port on a cruise?

I wouldn't recommend it with non-refundable hotel reservations of without trip insurance (never know when a ship might re-arrange and/or skip ports), however, I have seen people on here mention that they've done it.

Has anyone stayed in a resort or a hotel while overnighting in port on a cruise?

Yes. On our Jade cruise of the Med four years ago, the ship overnighted in Alexandria, Egypt, a port call that is (was) intended to give pax the opportunity to stay overnight in Cairo/Giza, which is three hours by car (each way) from the port. Along with some others from our Roll Call, we booked a two-day private excursion, and stayed overnight in Giza at the Oberoi Mena House, right near the Pyramids.

Other than for something like this (where you are touring several hours away from the ship), it's hard to see why one would opt for a hotel rather than the ship. Do you have something specific in mind?

We had some friends with us in Maui who did it. I will say if we ever did the POA again I would spend the night at the Grand Hyatt on the overnight in Kauai. We discovered the hotel on our cruise and have been back 3 times to stay there.

Sure, people do it for different reasons

Sometimes because the nearest BIG city is far away.

Sometimes because they want to. We met some folks who had honeymooned in Bermuda and wanted to stay at that hotel again.

To each their own.

We stayed at the Marriott Kaanapali in Lahaina when we were overnighting in Maui on our POA cruise. We wanted to imbibe at the Old Lahaina Luau without drinking and driving, which was the reason we booked it. It worked out well for us.

Yes. On our Jade cruise of the Med four years ago, the ship overnighted in Alexandria, Egypt, a port call that is (was) intended to give pax the opportunity to stay overnight in Cairo/Giza, which is three hours by car (each way) from the port. Along with some others from our Roll Call, we booked a two-day private excursion, and stayed overnight in Giza at the Oberoi Mena House, right near the Pyramids.

Other than for something like this (where you are touring several hours away from the ship), it's hard to see why one would opt for a hotel rather than the ship. Do you have something specific in mind?

No particular reason, but we're going to be in Bermuda for 3 days and I'm just thinking about staying in a beach front resort if the price is reasonable rather booking a bunch of shore excursions. Which may seem controversial to some considering the cruise is already payed for, but how many times will i get a chance to visit Bermuda. Anyways just thinking out loud.

I have a favorite SMALL ship cruise line, Blount Small Ship Adventures. I've had port calls at Mackinac Island 3 times. The first time there I fell in love with all the beautiful hotels. My second time there was an overnight stop and I cleared a visit to one of them with the line's office. When I boarded the ship, Mackinac Island was crossed off on the itinerary, and Mackinac City was written in as a substitute. Turned out there was a big sailboat event and the Coast Guard was using our dock. The island tours would take the ferry over to the island for the day but we would arrive in Mackinac City after the last ferry to the island.

I brought the issue to the the CD's attention and she and the Captain scratched their heads for the several days we were navigating Lake Superior. The finally decided to pause just off the island's shore and put me on their skiff (during dinner desert) for the 5-minute transfer to the Island. I watched my ship sail away as I approached my hotel. It wasn't THE Grand Hotel, but my hotel was grand.

Roy