Who Has Honeymooned on HAL?

We're feeling a little nostalgic tonight.

15 years ago today we set sail on our honeymoon on the Rotterdam -- sailing from Rome (Civitavecchia) to London on a 12-Day European Capitals cruise.

Our cruise stopped in Monte Carlo; Málaga, Spain; Casablanca; Gibraltar; Lisbon; Vigo, Spain; LaHarve (we went to Paris); Rotterdam; Antwerp, Belgium; before ending in Harwich, England - from which we headed to London.

It was a wonderful cruise for many reasons. 15 years later, 3 of them stand out:

1)The captain and the hotel manager threw a small party for the honeymooners and the 50-year wedding anniversary couples - it was touching to hear advice from those celebrating a 1/2 century of being married.

2) Eldon, the bartender in the Crow's Nest drew art on napkins for guests in his down time. He also, we learned, spent his little free time drawing in various ports. As a surprise, Mr. Jones convinced Eldon to sell one of his treasures -- we still have it framed on our wall and remember him and that amazing trip.

3) We ate at a 2-top in the late seating MDR, but our table was very close to a couple named Peter and Linda. While there was a major different in our ages, we became friends, and have traded holiday cards and "wish you were here" cruise postcards for 15 years. Peter passed away but our correspondence with Linda continues.

Okay, who else has a HAL Honeymoon story to share?

What a lovely story! We haven't had our honeymoon yet, but we are discussing it (and the wedding of course). Last cruise we did have a lot of lovely people asking us if we were honeymooning (I think due to our ages + the cabin we had). We had to say that we were doing a test run as we weren't married yet. :)

My daughter and her new husband are going on their honeymoon in July on the Eurodam - 12 night Baltic cruise. They loved the cruise they did 2 years ago on Nieuw Amsterdam in the Med.

Listening to them plan all their excursions makes me want to do that itinerary too. Maybe in a few years when we retire.

We're feeling a little nostalgic tonight.

15 years ago today we set sail on our honeymoon on the Rotterdam -- sailing from Rome (Civitavecchia) to London on a 12-Day European Capitals cruise.

Our cruise stopped in Monte Carlo; Málaga, Spain; Casablanca; Gibraltar; Lisbon; Vigo, Spain; LaHarve (we went to Paris); Rotterdam; Antwerp, Belgium; before ending in Harwich, England - from which we headed to London.

It was a wonderful cruise for many reasons. 15 years later, 3 of them stand out:

1)The captain and the hotel manager threw a small party for the honeymooners and the 50-year wedding anniversary couples - it was touching to hear advice from those celebrating a 1/2 century of being married.

2) Eldon, the bartender in the Crow's Nest drew art on napkins for guests in his down time. He also, we learned, spent his little free time drawing in various ports. As a surprise, Mr. Jones convinced Eldon to sell one of his treasures -- we still have it framed on our wall and remember him and that amazing trip.

3) We ate at a 2-top in the late seating MDR, but our table was very close to a couple named Peter and Linda. While there was a major different in our ages, we became friends, and have traded holiday cards and "wish you were here" cruise postcards for 15 years. Peter passed away but our correspondence with Linda continues.

Okay, who else has a HAL Honeymoon story to share?

I love your story.

Sorry -- no honeymoon for us -- many, many years ago. Bought a house instead.

Well, we did spend our honeymoon on a cruise but not on HAL. It was on RC. I won the cruise when we visited a travel show 24 years ago. We went to Alaska on an old car ferry that was converted to a cruise ship. It still had the big open space for cars when we were on it. That was later converted to cabins. It was the Viking Serenade.

Edited by cruisinjudy

We got married on St Lucia eight years ago on a princess cruise and we are returning for an Anniversary trip on the Noordam this November. We will even be in St Lucia on our Anniversary!

Wishing you many more years of happiness:)

Edited by nwcruisemamma

What a lovely story. No cruise honeymoon for us but we have celebrated many a mile stone birthdays on a ship with family and friends.

Hoping to celebrate our 25th anniversary on a DAM ship in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did - on Noordam from New York to Caribbean in January 2008 (too bad HAL gave up that itinerary). We were the newest newly-weds on board - but hardly the youngest (second marriage for both of us) - we stick with HAL - looking forward to T/A on Prinsendam from Rome in November.

Ours was 2 years after we got married on the Noordam's first Christmas. 12 days out of New York. It was HEAVEN. We met some amazing people, Midnight Mass and Caroling was magical, and we conceived our oldest daughter after 18 months of trying (once we had given up). I will never ever forget that cruise.

Congratulations on 15 years!!!

anniversary-11.gif

Edited by AlohaPride

Our very first cruise ever was our honeymoon cruise to Alaska nearly 11 years ago. DH planned the entire thing and surprised me- I was completely clueless about anything cruise related! I was shocked to learn not everyone had a balcony;) The honeymoon is over and now we usually end up in an inside cabin.

We were contestants on the Newlywed Game and won! The prizes back then included a beautiful 8x10 frame and bottle of champaign. We still have our Titanic background honeymoon photo displayed in the frame on our dresser:)

Well, we did spend our honeymoon on a cruise but not on HAL. It was on RC. I won the cruise when we visited a travel show 24 years ago. We went to Alaska on an old car ferry that was converted to a cruise ship. It still had the big open space for cars when we were on it. That was later converted to cabins. It was the Viking Serenade.

Thanks for sharing CruisinJudy! We sailed a short cruise on the Viking Serenade, but did not know that it had been a car ferry.

Our very first cruise ever was our honeymoon cruise to Alaska nearly 11 years ago. DH planned the entire thing and surprised me- I was completely clueless about anything cruise related! I was shocked to learn not everyone had a balcony;) The honeymoon is over and now we usually end up in an inside cabin.

We were contestants on the Newlywed Game and won! The prizes back then included a beautiful 8x10 frame and bottle of champaign. We still have our Titanic background honeymoon photo displayed in the frame on our dresser:)

Thanks for sharing, HALrunner!

Thanks to cruise_bunnies, Daisyloo, Krazy Kruizers,nwcruisemamma, Huskerchick, Typhoon1, navybankerteacher for you comments and feedback.

George C, we always wanted to sail on the SS Norway, but didn't get the chance.

Thanks for sharing about your honeymoon, AlohaPride, and for the sparkly hearts!

Happy Romance Cruising to All!