Any decent vegetarian?

Hi there,

I'm slated to sail Golden Princess in a few days. This will be my third Princess cruise. I'm vegetarian, not for health reasons, eggs and dairy OK. I've not been happy with Princess vegetarian options except for the pizza and fettuccini Alfredo. Any suggestions?

Thanks much,

Sherry in Oregon

I'm not a vegetarian, but I often order the entrees just because they look so good. I haven't had one yet I couldn't eat, but some are better than others. You don't have to stick to just pizza and pasta.

I'm slated to sail Golden Princess in a few days. This will be my third Princess cruise. I'm vegetarian, not for health reasons, eggs and dairy OK. I've not been happy with Princess vegetarian options except for the pizza and fettuccini Alfredo. Any suggestions?
What was your experience talking to the Maitre d' on previous Princess cruises? That would be the first thing to do so you can request dishes modified or made-to-order. Were the Maitre d's not helpful? Didn't they offer or suggest dishes? What dishes did you order directly from the Maitre d' that weren't good?

We were on a cruise with a couple who were vegetarians, and came from India. The local Maitre'D brought them dishes from off the menu - more like good food that the crew ate (the dish that was brought one night when they were elsewhere was delicious). You should really talk to your server and Maitre'D about it.

I took a look back at some old menus and I remember that I liked the tart and quiche things, and any of the Asian entrees were also good. I think I didn't like the various Indian offerings that much. You should, indeed, talk to your waiter who can direct your questions to the Maitre d'. You won't be the only vegetarian on board, and I'll bet they get lots of requests for meatless dishes that aren't necessarily on the menu.

There's a delicious cheese ravioli that's on the lunch menu on embarkation day. I'm sure they could make that for dinner one night. Also, to the OP, have you ordered things in advance the night before or just made do with the options on the menu when you get there? I think the people who have enjoyed dining the most when they have special diets are those who order in advance. Though I understand it's hard to know what you'll be in the mood for 23 hours ahead of time.

Check out this cute vegan couple's travel blog - they have Princess cruise blogs with lots of pictures

http://justinpluslauren.com/caribbean-cruise-flying-to-fort-lauderdale-fl-pre-cruise/

Awww thank you...that's us!!! :) Yay! We actually wrote an entire guide to cruising as vegans on Princess and showed pictures of every meal we ate on board!

http://justinpluslauren.com/eating-vegan-on-a-cruise-ship/

However, as vegetarians, you'll have at least one option on the regular menus every day! You'll have absolutely no problem ordering off the main menu. If you do have any special requests though, you can do as we did and set it up through the Head Waiter to order your meals a day in advance! They worked with us and it was amazing - we were able to modify meals on the menu or order something entirely different if we couldn't find anything we could make vegan! They are REALLY accommodating. We were really impressed!