London Pub food - Weatherspoons

Just back from 4 days post cruise in London, and trying to keep food costs to the budget range.

We discovered the Weatherspoons pub chain and they are great! Most dinners are in the 5 to 8 pound range, with a daily special at around 6 pounds. The food is very good, and the price includes a soda, pint of beer, glass of wine, or simple cocktail!

Before a London trip, I'd highly recommend checking out their website for locations near your hotel.

Wetherspoon's is a national pub chain that offers fairly basic fayre, usually in very basic surroundings and is acknowledged to sell on price/value.

We've used them very very occasionally, OK for a quick meal if there's nowhere better, but not the sort of a place for "an evening out" or for personal service.

In the provinces they're reasonably matched on price by other pubs offering a better experience, and I suspect the same is true in much of Greater London.

BUT whereas other restaurant & pub prices are generally much higher in central London, Wetherspoon's seem to be on a par with their prices elsewhere in the country.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/find/london

Our lunch at the Lord Moon of the Mall a few months back was very acceptable even though the attraction was the price. Independent reviews give them good marks too.

Located on The Mall, between Trafalgar Square & Horse Guards Parade.

Please don't tell my friends I recommended a Wetherspoon's ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

JB

I won't tell;) - but - I have to say that the Wetherspoons meal we had in the Victoria one recently was dire.

It depends so much on the chef - we have had some halfway decent meals in Wetherspoons in the past but this has put us off.

Beer was good though!

Cheap - Yes - Good quality - sometimes.

I have to say that the Wetherspoons meal we had in the Victoria one recently was dire.

It depends so much on the chef - we have had some halfway decent meals in Wetherspoons in the past but this has put us off.

Weatherspoons may be cheapish but in my experience is not over good. It's a chain and food usually looks mass produced and cooked from frozen.
That's probably because it is.

I bet no "chef" worthy of the name ever gets anywhere near Wetherspoons' food. It's mass-produced in food factories and frozen or chilled. The "chef" at the location will probably be a minimum wage youth who's done some basic food handling training and who simply follows the microwave (or whatever) reheating instructions.

Wetherspoons is cheap, and this is how they can sell it cheap.

Most pub food in the UK is made on a similar basis. You can routinely see the chiller vans delivering the pre-packaged manufactured food to them. It's almost universally poor. You really have to work quite hard to find decent food in a pub.

Most pub food in the UK is made on a similar basis. You can routinely see the chiller vans delivering the pre-packaged manufactured food to them. It's almost universally poor. You really have to work quite hard to find decent food in a pub.

You've really got to get out of the big bad city, G ;)

We eat almost exclusively in pubs these days, and there's plenty of good 'uns in England's leafy bits.

Just back from a favourite Chef & Brewer pub near Winchester - scallops and bubble&squeak starters, sirloin / chips and beef&ale pie / mash for main courses & a decent bottle of house shiraz, under £40 for the two of us with a promo voucher.

OK, more expensive than Wetherspoon's but good food, good value.

Bought-in? Frozen chips but that's about it.

Brewery's central kitchen? Probably the pie & the bubble&squeak but nothing wrong with that - even Michelin restaurants do that.

Pub food almost universally poor?

Nah.

Some good, some not so good. ;)

JB :)

:)

My primary criteria for a good pub is what they have on cask. Fish and chips and burgers and chips are kind of universal. Now a good shepherds pie, on the other hand...

That's probably because it is.

I bet no "chef" worthy of the name ever gets anywhere near Wetherspoons' food. It's mass-produced in food factories and frozen or chilled. The "chef" at the location will probably be a minimum wage youth who's done some basic food handling training and who simply follows the microwave (or whatever) reheating instructions.

Wetherspoons is cheap, and this is how they can sell it cheap.

I agree about Weatherspoons but here in the rural North we have a good choice of excellent pub food cooked by chefs and generally using local and seasonal produce.

Wetherspoon menus a bit of a lottery there are some very good things on it some just OK and others to avoid.

The Fish and chips is good.(Friday special all day and Mon-thurs till 5:00pm

The grills are good but can be variable(Tues special)

The dogs and burgers acceptable

I tend to stick with those now

I understand the new Salmon dishes are OK.

The cask beer selections are in most places good(our local is having issue after staff changes).

There will be other pub/food options everywhere but a JDW is something to have on your list in case you get stuck

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

they also have some hotels worth looking out for.

edit : forgot to say if not happy send stuff back, they have strict waste targets so might try to fob you off, one I used a lot used to leave things off the plate on the large mixed grill.

Edited by insidecabin

Wetherspoon menus a bit of a lottery there are some very good things on it some just OK and others to avoid.

The Fish and chips is good.(Friday special all day and Mon-thurs till 5:00pm

The grills are good but can be variable(Tues special)

The dogs and burgers acceptable

I tend to stick with those now

I understand the new Salmon dishes are OK.

The cask beer selections are in most places good(our local is having issue after staff changes).

There will be other pub/food options everywhere but a JDW is something to have on your list in case you get stuck

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

they also have some hotels worth looking out for.

edit : forgot to say if not happy send stuff back, they have strict waste targets so might try to fob you off, one I used a lot used to leave things off the plate on the large mixed grill.

Interestingly it was DW's fish and chips which was so ghastly - cooked to death twice. My curry was OK if a bit on the small side.

Interestingly it was DW's fish and chips which was so ghastly - cooked to death twice. My curry was OK if a bit on the small side.

Since they went to battered fresh(fish is probably still frozen) last year they are normaly good.

I have had the Haddock in scotland and the cod in england at a few places, a few have had the batter slighty over done but the fish is OK.

If it was as you say should have sent it back.

The currys are no longer good value except on Thursday when they have the full selection.

Edited by insidecabin

Since they went to battered fresh(fish is probably still frozen) last year they are normaly good.

I have had the Haddock in scotland and the cod in england at a few places, a few have had the batter slighty over done but the fish is OK.

If it was as you say should have sent it back.

The currys are no longer good value except on Thursday when they have the full selection.

Let's leave it at JDW is not our first choice for meals - for a few beers yes.