Norwegian Fjiord Cruises

mollyvicto

I bought only a few things during my eight days in Norway. The gift shops have to charge tax on top of the purchases but it wasn't outrageous. Most Norwegian cruises sail from England anyway- so you don't really have to stay overnight in Norway. Meals are included on the ship. I'm not much of a shopper and didn't book any excursions (which are in US dollars anyway if booked through the cruise line)- so unless you plan to eat on land and shop for lots of things- the cost of going to Norway wasn't any different for me than going to say Copenhagen! Copenhagen was outrageous due to the exchange rate.

You ought to try Stokholm , now that is expensive , I didnt find Norway overally expensive tbh

I havent cruised there but last year spent a long weekend in Bergen , we did the Norway in a Nutshell from there , very long day , but amazing . Norway is a beautiful country .

While in Bergen I did notice people from the cruise ships doing tours , I would say dont bother , its easy to wander round on your own ( and therefore at your own pace

In July 2011 I strayed for the first and last time with Princess (Crown), b'cause I had a free ticket Tel-Aviv-London...

DH and I are stricly DIY people - that's what we've done:

Stavanger - took the Rodne boat to Lysefjord. We reserved through their site, and paid on arrival.

Olden - took the local bus to Briksdale glacier, and then trolleys. The bus is located on the main road, about half a mile from the pier, in front of the main shopping center.

Geiranger - took the local bus to mount Dalsnibba, right on the pier, tickets at the tourist office. Get there quickly, not enough places... Amazing views.

Bergen - took the funicular to Mount Floyen, walked back down. Amazing views. You can buy tickets at the tourrist info only if you want return tickets. So we stood in a long line for tickets for about 45 minutes, while groups had priority...

the link to my TripAdvisor tips:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190500-i932-k4665787-Tips_from_a_cruise_to_Stavanger_Olden_Geiranger_Bergen-Western_Norway.html#34840818

Great thread!

We are booked on the eclipse next May for the 7 night cruise and really looking forward to it as it's on the bucket list so really glad to have that to look forward too...

As for the weather I'm not expecting it to be great as it's Norway in May? Kind of hoping for a bit of snow as I think that will make for some cool pictures!

Normally my choice would be a sunbathing holiday but for that it would be the Caribbean so whatever the weather is like in Norway it's fine with me! :)

We're trying to choose a Norway cruise and it's difficult. The 10 day Celebrity Eclipse cruise through Norway is not offered in 2015 and the substitutes are only 7 days or see Iceland also and miss some Norway ports. The Prisendam (only 800 passengers, which I love) North Cape cruise goes to the North Cape but at the expensive of Stavanger, Kristiansand, and Hardangerfjord. The Caribbean Princess includes these ports but has over 3000 passengers and can't see some of the fjords that smaller ships can. The Ryndam Norse Legends and Viking Saga cruise goes back to Harwich in the middle and appears to cruise the same fjord twice. I have no idea which Norwegian ports are the ones that I shouldn't miss - and is seeing the North Cape worth missing some of the more southern ports. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

We're trying to choose a Norway cruise and it's difficult. The 10 day Celebrity Eclipse cruise through Norway is not offered in 2015 and the substitutes are only 7 days or see Iceland also and miss some Norway ports. The Prisendam (only 800 passengers, which I love) North Cape cruise goes to the North Cape but at the expensive of Stavanger, Kristiansand, and Hardangerfjord. The Caribbean Princess includes these ports but has over 3000 passengers and can't see some of the fjords that smaller ships can. The Ryndam Norse Legends and Viking Saga cruise goes back to Harwich in the middle and appears to cruise the same fjord twice. I have no idea which Norwegian ports are the ones that I shouldn't miss - and is seeing the North Cape worth missing some of the more southern ports. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

We booked the Eclipse departing 5/9/15 and are happy with the ports-of-call-

Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger and Stavanger.

Thanks to Icelandair's "free" stopover enroute to Europe, we are also able to spend three nights there, which will allow us time to experience Iceland without spending extra time and money traveling there via ship.

I notice you're from MD, Barbara. Icelandair departs from IAD! For us, our best option for a departure city is Toronto which is a 5-hour drive from Cleveland.