Question for Amomondo.

pinkpanther52

Hi see you are also from Edinburgh and I understand you cruise solo on MSC. I was looking at a MSC cruise to Norway or the Baltic for 2015. As I would be cruising solo I wondered what the demgraphics are like. Are many other English speakers on board? As I would be on my own it would be nice to have people to mix with. How do you find the solo experience? I have cruised with Fred Olsen and NCL and have been very happy. The price on MSC is very good so it is tempting. I have travelled a lot so enjoy different experiences. Thanks Jackie

Hi see you are also from Edinburgh and I understand you cruise solo on MSC. I was looking at a MSC cruise to Norway or the Baltic for 2015. As I would be cruising solo I wondered what the demgraphics are like. Are many other English speakers on board? As I would be on my own it would be nice to have people to mix with. How do you find the solo experience? I have cruised with Fred Olsen and NCL and have been very happy. The price on MSC is very good so it is tempting. I have travelled a lot so enjoy different experiences. Thanks Jackie

Hi Jackie

The demographics tend to vary depending on region and cruise length. Sometimes there are a reasonable number of English speaking passengers onboard, sometimes very few. I'd imagine on a Norwegian cruise especially if starting from the UK's would have some Brits and most Scandinavians speak English as well. Generally though 7 night cruises have a younger average age with young couples and families, a few solos and some other ages. Longer cruises the average age rises and the number of kids declines, especially if outwith European school holidays.

I really enjoy the experience of sailing with MSC but because not everyone is English speaking. I enjoy the blend of nationality and languages - makes me feel like I'm overseas. I'm an independent, solitary soul at times and often just want to chill out and relax with my kindle on a quieter part of the pool deck or be off exploring the port. That said, I do enjoy meeting people and conversing over a drink or meal. I find sitting at a bar is better than sitting at one of the seated area as people are more likely to chat to you whilst sitting beside tou on a bar stool. If they don't, the bar staff invariably talk to you. I find the MDR better than the buffet. Food is better and you don't have the hassle of losing your seat if you want another course or drink. I usually ask to be seated at a large table on second sitting (working long hours here has made be more on continental eating time than traditional UK time). Sometimes I have some other solos at my table! sometimes not. Occasionally there is less than the 8 8 wanted. MSC's various maître d's I've spoken to, tell me first sitting is far more popular with English speaking people, so if you choose that seating you may well have a better chance of getting a bigger table.

They don't really do solo events, not enough of us in each language and either folk don't turn up when they have them or there are too many languages and it doesn't work.

Their solos supplement pricing isn't quite as good as it used to be but they are very reasonable. I would not be able to do so many cruises a year otherwise and I usually get a balcony or suite much cheaper than an equivalent holiday on land.

They have stunningly beautiful, elegant ships that are kept spotlessly clean. The only other line I've cruised with is Costa and I find MSC's ships to have a more open layout and feeling of light and space compared to theirs. They are very Italian, so if you like the way of life in the med and in Italy in particular, you may really like them. They also have a very relaxed atmosphere. There is stuff going on if you want to take part and the entertainment team will probably adopt you if you take part in the events., but if you just want to observe or avoid, there is no pressure. Very few announcements either.

I enjoy the shows but they are mainly visual or musical as they are catering for many languages. Cirque du Soleil style acts and music and dance and the odd classical music.

I enjoy the quality and variety of the live music around the ship, especially the classical. But if that's not to your taste there are other styles.

I recommend the Allegrissimo all inclusive drinks package at €23 per day. Even if you're just a moderate drinker it's very hard not to get your money's worth.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Thank you AmoMondo for such a detailed reply. Sound lke it would suit me just fine. I to am happy to read my Kindle and explore during the day but it is nice to have people to talk to at dinner as I do like a nice relaxed dinner. I am looking at itineries from Copenhagan or Hamburg so I guess it will be very mixed. Looking at the Splendida Orchesta or Sinfonia and possibly a back to back. The med atmosphere sounds great. Two other questions What time are the dinner sittings - I like early at home but find too much to do on holiday to eat very early and What is your favourite "class" of ship?. Thanks againl

I love the Musica class ships. Not too big but a few extras the Lirica class don't, like the wine bars. I love those and all the gorgeous free nibbles of cooked meats and cheeses and breads they give you. Also live the a alas carte restaurant at the back of the ship.

The Lirica class are still nice and being smaller they tend to have more unusual itineraries. The best thermal areas by miles are in the Sinfonia and Armonia - absolutely lovely.

The Fantasia class are stunningly beautiful with such a choice of venues and lounges/bars, each with a distinctive vibe to them. I just find the ships too big and therefore impersonal for me. You never seem to see the same passenger or crew member twice. The ports tend to be the more popular ones, but ones I've visited before. I'd like to try yacht Club some time if I could find an itinerary that really appealed and a proce not too prohibitive for a solo!

Dinner times vary a bit in Europe. I think the northern itineraries are a wee bit earlier than those in the Med. The range though is between 6.00-6.45 fir first and 8.30 -9.15 for second. I always eat late so go for second. Gives me more time to relax, enjoy the ship for a bit before starting to get ready for dinner.