iPhone or ships phone?

allilivesay

Which way I am gonna come our cheaper? I have verizon and they say 2.49 a minute and on every port we are going (Nassau, Grand Turk, and HMC) it's 1.99 per minute. It's my mother and I going but she has to call home daily probably like for 3 minutes a day. I would personally like to use my iPhone but I'm scared I'm gonna be changed for data and stuff. the last thing I want is a phone bill for over 500 dollars. :/ and people who have iPhones, do you put on airplane mode or do you just turn data off? And if we are in port with free wifi and we decide to face time or get on Facebook, we will be charged internationally for anything? Sorry I'm so confused! You can tell I don't travel hardly enough!! Bare with me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which way I am gonna come our cheaper? I have verizon and they say 2.49 a minute and on every port we are going (Nassau, Grand Turk, and HMC) it's 1.99 per minute. It's my mother and I going but she has to call home daily probably like for 3 minutes a day. I would personally like to use my iPhone but I'm scared I'm gonna be changed for data and stuff. the last thing I want is a phone bill for over 500 dollars. :/ and people who have iPhones, do you put on airplane mode or do you just turn data off? And if we are in port with free wifi and we decide to face time or get on Facebook, we will be charged internationally for anything? Sorry I'm so confused! You can tell I don't travel hardly enough!! Bare with me!!!

Bare with me??? Ooohh, I hope not! :D :D :D

you can turn off data roaming an still voice roam and use your iPhone but you'd still get minutes when your phone is on. So you can leave it in airplane mode most of the time and then turn it on to make the calls you want.

I'll be on splendor next week and using my phone (hopefully) without a too insane phone bill haha

i am planning on a verizon international data plan of $25/100mb on the ship. The ship wifi is expensive but i'm told there free(and slow) wifi near a lot of the ports.

Onboard the ship the outlets should be 110v edison so you don't need any adaptors.

110v edison? Never heard it called that since AC was developed by tesla :p Edison was more of a dc guy.

you are correct-- the plug is called an edison plug for some weird reason though ;)

smart ass :)

i am planning on a verizon international data plan of $25/100mb on the ship. The ship wifi is expensive but i'm told there free(and slow) wifi near a lot of the ports.

Onboard the ship the outlets should be 110v edison so you don't need any adaptors.

OK gotcha. So you're planning to text only on the ship and do the other stuff once off the ship.

Sounds like a good plan.:)

Bill

I work for verizon in global tech support, info here has been good. Keep in mind that a regular iPhone4, will not work in countries that use GSM technology. If you have a 4s or 5c, 5s or regular 5, your phone can work in both CDMA tech (aboard the ship) and in ports that use GSM, but you will need to reach out to verizon to have free iDial feature added and SIM card activated to get phone to work properly. See http://www.verizonwireless.com/tripplanner for great info. Our toll free number for global support is 800-721-8300 in US and 908-559-4899 toll free from verizon phone outside US. But, if you choose to use wifi only without getting global data plan, make sure to turn off cellular data in the phone or we can add a global data block to the line til you get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by south-carolinagirl

I've Facetimed on my iPhone using the ship's wifi and didn't have any problems. I don't see why wifi on shore would be any different. If the person you want to talk to doesn't have an iPhone or if your connection is slow, you can both download an app like Voxer that basically turns your phone into a wifi walkie talkie.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!! I plan on using the ships phone on sea days cause it is cheaper and getting free wifi where I can off the ship in port! I have called verizon and got everything set up! Does anyone know if the fantasy has free wifi?? Or do you have to pay? The verizon people told me it might even be free?

My nephew turned on his iphone in Nassau for a few minutes a couple months ago and made a couple calls. I think he forgot to turn off data roaming or something since his wife was not very pleased at at the $1000 cell phone bill they received a couple weeks after their cruise.

My point is be VERY careful with your settings.

What about wifi? We were thinking about going to jacks shack and they claim they have free wifi. What about internationals charging?

Jack's Shack does have good free wi-fi and it works all the way out to the edge of the water (oh and try the conch). I use Skype to make free messaging and Skype-to-Skype calls (the kids have it on their cell phones and the calls come through like a regular call) or $.02 a minute landline calls when in ports. The only international charging would be if I wanted to call a landline in some country other than US or Canada. Then the per minute charge is higher. But Skype-to-Skype is always free.

The $25/100MB cellular at sea data sounds pretty good, but I don't know how much data a voice call would use. And not all ships have 3G speed. The Wmsatsea site lists all the Carnival ships and what cellular data speed is available. Most still only have 1x speeds. Wmsatsea handles the data connection for all the mobile carriers, so the speed is the same for all the carriers ON EACH SHIP. I have used the ship's wi-fi on the Dream for Skype. Messaging was great but the voice calls were usable but spotty.

Edited by Davey Wavey

Ok thanks for the info guys! When I talked to verizon yesterday, they told me it's 5 cents to receive a text and 50 to send one. Not bad! I think I can just text here and there and make phone calls from the ship phone or wait till we are in port!

Last year when we were on the Splendor, I used the ship phone, just a few minutes each day for the days we were at sea (my parents are elderly and I check up on them daily). When in port, I used my cell phone like normal. I have Boost mobile and they don't seem to charge roaming. I'm on the everything for one price plan. Last year when I was in St. Thomas, I was able to use my cell phone and didn't incur any extra charges for anything, which was nice. I was thinking about going with the wifi plan so I could use my cell during at sea days, but I think I'll just do as I did last year. I mean, seriously, what's an extra $20 at this point? LOL. Enjoy your trip! :)

I purchased the Mexico Sim Card and will trade out the Sim Card on my unlocked Iphone 4 that I no longer use. It is no longer activated with ATT, so I can feel comfortable that I will not have a surprise bill. I added 1.5gb data package as well.

Edited by brekin67

I have done this twice this year. Call make sure it is less than a min... then hang up. Most of the times it was free. A few times I went over using the ships phone.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for your help!!!! I plan on using the ships phone on sea days cause it is cheaper and getting free wifi where I can off the ship in port! I have called verizon and got everything set up! Does anyone know if the fantasy has free wifi?? Or do you have to pay? The verizon people told me it might even be free?

The ship's wifi is not free but it is cheaper than calling. On our last cruise it was $.75 per minute and less with various plans. In ports there are free wifi and we have used Facetime without any problem.