Is NCL getting rid of the concierge

Sam The Cat

And, many, many people do not book until onboard. In fact, we never book in advance. Heck, I do not even know what I want to eat TONIGHT, and surely not next month.

If anything, they may be needed more as others book the restaurants, the Concierge will need to squeeze in some suite passengers.

For us it means even more need for the concierge. He/she is the one that gets us in when there are no opening for the restaurants we want at the last minute. Like others, we rarely plan ahead and the concierge always gets us in when and where we want. Same thing for the mdr, when we want a window seat and the line is long, the concierge gets us through the line and to the table we want every time.

Just throwing this out. Since you can book your resturants either one resturant or a package and you can before you board order your drinking package

Do you think that NCl is getting rid of of the concierge

I would not think so, for suite guests they do so much more than just book restaurant reservations. Now for platinum member it is a totally different story. I see no reason to use one.

And, many, many people do not book until onboard. In fact, we never book in advance. Heck, I do not even know what I want to eat TONIGHT, and surely not next month.

If anything, they may be needed more as others book the restaurants, the Concierge will need to squeeze in some suite passengers.

us either, we never give It much thought until we are on board. We do know which specialty dining rooms we will use, but not which days.

• 6 months later...
For us it means even more need for the concierge. He/she is the one that gets us in when there are no opening for the restaurants we want at the last minute. Like others, we rarely plan ahead and the concierge always gets us in when and where we want. Same thing for the mdr, when we want a window seat and the line is long, the concierge gets us through the line and to the table we want every time.

The MDR (in the rare case we ate there actually) has for us always had a nice place at the window with no questions asked even if there was a long queue of people waiting. Just skip the line waving your keycard does the trick, the staff knows that the color of your card means they might otherwise get a call from the concierge :cool:

Never got a comment about that except 'your table will be ready in 5 mins Sir'.

We've 'used' the concierge or the butler to get reservations at various of the specialty restaurants just a few hours before wanting them.

The Butler of course can also get you any food you want from any restaurant directly delivered into your room, so you can enjoy it in room or better on the balcony, great on port departure if you are aft and having a great overlook over where you just left.

Lots of folks seem to also miss out that you can do the same by asking for an item from a specialty restaurant while in the Haven, thus if you don't want you don't have to leave there.

We also don't book till on board we also make little to no use of concierge.

And for that matter we don't use the butler much other than to keep things filled up. We never eat in the suite as we can do that at home, like to get out and enjoy the vibes in the specialty restaurants.

For dining I just don't get how people can book far out not knowing what the itinerary, entertainment, Latitudes party's etc. let alone what they what to eat.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Just throwing this out. Since you can book your resturants either one resturant or a package and you can before you board order your drinking package

Just throwing this out.

No.

Such a good point. Our concierge was one of the best parts of "The Suite Life" - we pretty much would decide in the early evening where we wanted to eat that night, and the concierge made that happen! (With the exception of Teppanyaki, we booked that while onboard but a couple of nights ahead of time).

I can't imagine planning out where we were going to eat each night of the cruise, in advance.

Thread started: May 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM

with -9- posts within 2 days and then these

-6- today.

Get rid of the Concierge - not likely at all !

What?! You want to hound down the Cruise

Hotel Director - the Captain for some personal

service ! That is not going to happen unless

maybe all the suites havens gardens are turned

back into ordinary cabins without perks !

There's people who don't know how to book from website, let alone from the TV in their rooms, from the Flatscreens around the ship, or picking up the phone to do it - So, no the concierge is never going away ever.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Not at all, we never used the concierge to book restaurants and they take care of a lot more

The concierge hardly ever books restaurant reservations for me. They do lots and lots of other things that make them worth their weight in gold..

Serious question....Can you elaborate? Other than booking restaurants (and the occasional excursion) I cannot think of "a lot more" and "lots and lots of other things" that a concierge can be used for.

Serious question....Can you elaborate? Other than booking restaurants (and the occasional excursion) I cannot think of "a lot more" and "lots and lots of other things" that a concierge can be used for.

Room Service, arranging surprises or gathering for Birthday / wedding/ anniversaries either at restaurant or in the suite, tendering, getting spa reservations, etc sorta the same thing hotel concergies do too for their guests (middle or high class ones, anyway) .

Room Service, arranging surprises or gathering for Birthday / wedding/ anniversaries either at restaurant or in the suite, tendering, getting spa reservations, etc sorta the same thing hotel concergies do too for their guests (middle or high class ones, anyway) .

-Room service is via the butler. That would be funny if somebody phoned the concierge for room service.

-In suite gatherings are via the butler, as well. RE: a gathering in a restaurant...what really needs to be "arranged" other than getting the reservation for X amount of guests and letting the waiter/waitress do their job?

-Tendering. You get a priority tender ticket in your room on embarkation day. What else needs to be done?

-The Spa. Every ship I've been on it's been "buy your access and go whenever you want". What is this "spa reservation" you speak of? EDIT. oh, okay, you mean massages and facials and stuff like that. Gotcha. /EDIT

Edited by rajones007

-Room service is via the butler. That would be funny if somebody phoned the concierge for room service.

-In suite gatherings are via the butler, as well. RE: a gathering in a restaurant...what really needs to be "arranged" other than getting the reservation for X amount of guests and letting the waiter/waitress do their job?

-Tendering. You get a priority tender ticket in your room on embarkation day. What else needs to be done?

-The Spa. Every ship I've been on it's been "buy your access and go whenever you want". What is this "spa reservation" you speak of? EDIT. oh, okay, you mean massages and facials and stuff like that. Gotcha. /EDIT

No offense but you will not believe how useless some people are in doing things themselves. What seems easy for you and me to do, its literally rocket science and quantum physics to them. So, no concergie is never going away as long as there people are who don't know how to pick up a remote and check a specialty restaurant's menu, let alone a reservation. FYI, most cruisers don't know about Cruise Critic or the website nor do some even know how to check their onboard spending account - I had do a quick tutorial for some people last week on how to use it from memory in a bar. So yes, not everyone is good like us, you have to keep that in mind why there's concergie in the 1st place.

TLTR: Some people are really stupid and that's why there's concergie service for them.

Edited by maywell

I can think of a few things to chime in about.

On my South American Cruise I booked an excursion to Antarctica which came with a red parka instead of me having to go down and pick it up she asked me the size it was waiting in my state room hanging in the closet

My mother and I are Catholic and our cruise was running late due to weather. So, in the port we wanted to go to Mass. We asked our concierge if she knew anything about the port and Catholic churches. She said "let me check on this" and she came back, having gone and done the research and had printed out the churches and the Mass times for us.

Also on this cruise people had to go pick up their passports they were being held by the ship. But we did not have to wait in line, our concierge brought them to us.

There are other instances, but these are three that come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense but you will not believe how useless some people are in doing things themselves. What seems easy for you and me to do, its literally rocket science and quantum physics to them. So, no concergie is never going away as long as there people are who don't know how to pick up a remote and check a specialty restaurant's menu, let alone a reservation. FYI, most cruisers don't know about Cruise Critic or the website nor do some even know how to check their onboard spending account - I had do a quick tutorial for some people last week on how to use it from memory in a bar. So yes, not everyone is good like us, you have to keep that in mind why there's concergie in the 1st place.

TLTR: Some people are really stupid and that's why there's concergie service for them.

Your opinion makes me chuckle. I have worked for people who were so brilliant and intelligent but could not do the simplest tasks. I always joke at work that I Excel at menial tasks like making labels.

Come on, people choose suites and the services of a concierge and a butler for many different reasons.

For myself personally, I am in a support job where I do many many task for others all the time that when I go on vacation it's great for me to relax and take it easy and let others do things for me. That's my business if I want to do that. Believe me I'm far from stupid.

But if people choose to use a butler and a concierge others should not make fun of them for doing it. And, truth be told, some that do might just be a little envious.

Your opinion makes me chuckle. I have worked for people who were so brilliant and intelligent but could not do the simplest tasks. I always joke at work that I Excel at menial tasks like making labels.

Come on, people choose suites and the services of a concierge and a butler for many different reasons.

For myself personally, I am in a support job where I do many many task for others all the time that when I go on vacation it's great for me to relax and take it easy and let others do things for me. That's my business if I want to do that. Believe me I'm far from stupid.

But if people choose to use a butler and a concierge others should not make fun of them for doing it. And, truth be told, some that do might just be a little envious.

No, I was not making fun of people using concierge and butler services; I had to pull a KISS because the poster that wrote what I had quote previously just wasn't comprehending that there was actual people who didn't know how to make reservations for themselves. I know there people who uses the services even though they can do it themselves, but let's be honest, that concept would had went pass that poster's head even more so because they can't believe people would do that.

And for the record, I'm in support job myself and have to deal with brilliant in making money but ridiculous stupid in menial tasks and the "they can do it themselves but just doesn't want to for XYZ reasons". And in the case of "They can do it but don't want to" it ranges can't do it because it actually bogs them down to point they can't get work done to super extreme laziness. (You know someone is extremely lazy when they are able-bodied but won't pick up the paper from the printer that right next to them in their window office and wants the staff that 3 floors away from the printer / office to pick it up and give it to them. In their office, not even for a meeting on different part of the floor/ building nor give the document to someone else.)

Edited by maywell

Next to the more expansive edition given a few comments later (indeed, lazy/not-making-time != stupid), you missed another option: people like to be pampered :)

Letting someone else do everything for you while you continue sipping on a cocktail is exactly that.