How to get alcohol home?

I haven't tried to get alcohol purchases back home (flying) since all the new liquid restrictions have gone into effect. So, how DO you safely get them back home? Will they allow you to carry it in a box, bag as a carry on? - it's obviously more than 3 oz. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't tried to get alcohol purchases back home (flying) since all the new liquid restrictions have gone into effect. So, how DO you safely get them back home? Will they allow you to carry it in a box, bag as a carry on? - it's obviously more than 3 oz. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It definitely can not go as carry on, it must go in your checked luggage. It is delivered to your stateroom boxed. We don't usually get too much but had no problem fitting the box with a couple of Sheridan's into our checked luggage last week.

We bought bubble wrap type bottle containers when they first started the 'no liquid on flights' thing. I believe we paid $3 from Soutwest. We have and still use them today. never had a bottle break to date. Not sure if SW still sells them, but they work great! Good luck.

We bought bubble wrap type bottle containers when they first started the 'no liquid on flights' thing. I believe we paid $3 from Soutwest. We have and still use them today. never had a bottle break to date. Not sure if SW still sells them, but they work great! Good luck.

I have a few of those bottle protectors. I use them to get wine onto the ship when we fly in. They are also good to fly home with.

Marshall's had some recently in their travel goodie area. You can also get them through magellans.com travel gear web site. The magellan.com ones are sturdier.

If you cruise fly out of San Juan you can purchase in the Duty Free Store which is in the secured area at the airport. They will box and put a seal on it which can then be taken on the plane with you. They will check at the gate to make sure that the seal on the packaging has not been broken.

If you cruise fly out of San Juan you can purchase in the Duty Free Store which is in the secured area at the airport. They will box and put a seal on it which can then be taken on the plane with you. They will check at the gate to make sure that the seal on the packaging has not been broken.

You do all realize that the prices in "duty free" shops are much higher than prices in a wide variety of US retailers (even when sales tax is added). Unless you live in a state that limits sales to govt. stores (which still may be cheaper), "duty free" is a monster ripoff.

At the very least, go online and compare the prices before you make a purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do a google search for "Wine Diapers" or "Jet Bags"...and you'll see why these are the best options for bringing your liquor purchases home in your checked luggage. We prefer the Jet Bags.

I've never had a problem being booze back in my suitcase. Just put it in the middle of you bag between layers of clothes. Brought a bottle of tequila back from Cozumel with no issues.

You do all realize that the prices in "duty free" shops are much higher than prices in a wide variety of US retailers (even when sales tax is added). Unless you live in a state that limits sales to govt. stores (which still may be cheaper), "duty free" is a monster ripoff.

Prior to your post no one said a word about duty free shops:rolleyes: There are some great prices to be had a regular stores on the islands, far below duty free or at home prices.

We've brought liquor home for 20 years wrapped in dirty clothes in checked bags, so far not a single bottle has broken:)

Prior to your post no one said a word about duty free shops:rolleyes: There are some great prices to be had a regular stores on the islands, far below duty free or at home prices.

We've brought liquor home for 20 years wrapped in dirty clothes in checked bags, so far not a single bottle has broken:)

Read post #7: "duty free".

Just not worth the hastle...buy it in a local liquor store....much better than having a broken bottle of booze or wine all over your suitcase.

What local liquor store sells Sheridans?

OK. But OP wasn't asking about duty free nor was anyone else. And there are great prices on the islands :D

I note from your profile that you're from Michigan. Don't know what your wine and spirits pricing is like there. Here in California we have no further to look than a Safeway food market where a single bottle may be priced at 30% off retail with an additional 10% off for six or more.

If you're a wine drinker and Michigan can get alcohol shipped in, check out Empire Wines in Albany NY. Killer prices and free shipping with large enough orders.

As for carrying that "only sold at the company store (e.g., reserve and library items)" bottle or two you may find abroad, I recommend the bottle formed cardboard inserts used by wineries to ship purchases to their club members. They are thin, light, and very protective.

I note from your profile that you're from Michigan. Don't know what your wine and spirits pricing is like there. Here in California we have no further to look than a Safeway food market where a single bottle may be priced at 30% off retail with an additional 10% off for six or more.

If you're a wine drinker and Michigan can get alcohol shipped in, check out Empire Wines in Albany NY. Killer prices and free shipping with large enough orders.

As for carrying that "only sold at the company store (e.g., reserve and library items)" bottle or two you may find abroad, I recommend the bottle formed cardboard inserts used by wineries to ship purchases to their club members. They are thin, light, and very protective.

Overall I don't think our liquor prices in Michigan are too bad. But there can be some great rum to be had at great prices in the Caribbean:)

We live in NW Michigan which has become quite the wine mecca and they are making some pretty good wines. There are well over 20 winery's within a half hour drive, it can make for a nice day exploring the countryside and visiting them. In fact our daughter just got a summer job at one of the nicest ones!:)

What local liquor store sells Sheridans?

OMG I was sooooo disappointed to find that it wasn't sold locally after my first cruise!

Have you seen the berries and cream Sheridans? If so, did you like it? I can't wait to try it?

Sorry, I have not found that to be the case. I live near the Mexican border and shop at a duty free store in Mexico. I save $20 on a bottle of Grand Marnier.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Sorry, I have not found that to be the case. I live near the Mexican border and shop at a duty free store in Mexico. I save $20 on a bottle of Grand Marnier.

So, $5 for a 750ml bottle of Grand Marnier?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bring empty rum runners, liquor in bottles are quite heavy and packing three or four in a suitcase would put me way over the limit. Note, I mentioned that I brought empty rum runners, since becoming Diamond, now Diamond Plus, there is no need for me to smuggle liquor. One or two drinks during the Diamond event is sufficient enough for me.

The savings on my favorite whiskey, Crown Royal Reserve, is rather substantial.

I can buy it in St Maarten for $23. for .750 liter, at home, the price is around $55.

Stan:cool: