Remember the significance of this weekend

Tikiintahiti

This week's photo challenge on another forum I belong to is called, "forced perspective". As this is Memorial weekend/week I thought, “how could I give recognition to the importance of this Holiday but at the same time stay within the geist of the challenge rules.” I figured most people would go for the humorist photo, thus I wanted to go where others would not. I thought how we give significance to a single red rose, how special it is. But in comparison it is dwarfed by the enormous sacrifice of our departed veterans. So a single red rose, bigger than life catches your attention but quickly we are moved by the thousands of tiny American flags that go on forever. And to think this is at one National cemetery of which there are hundreds, sobering. Remember our departed vets this week, they deserve it. It is very humbling to see the thousands of tiny American flags, to witness loved ones visiting, to watch fellow soldiers come together and have a picnic at the tiny headstone of a fallen friend, sobering. I used my Sony RX10 for this picture which was taken today at the Riverside National Cemetery, my step father is buried there, a good man. I got on my belly next to a grave site and focused on a red rose someone had left, I was within 2 feet of the rose to make it 'BIG'. I used manual settings, focused manually, I hardly could keep from weeping, sobering.

14262260494_646bca01fd_c.jpg

Second, the thank you for posting. A couple of years ago on another board; I started a tread asking about family members service during WWII. The responses were very touching.

Take a minute tomorrow, to remember the ones that didn't come back, and those that served.

-USAF Vietnam Era Vet (who is very thankful to this day that he ended up in the UP of Michigan)

This is nice, but speaking as an army veteran, married to a 30 year army veteran, and the mother of a 24 year old Air Force airman buried in a military cemetery, it would be great if instead of thanking veterans for their service, having sober thoughts or taking pretty pictures, people would take real action to honor veterans. How about contributing to organizations which help military families, contributing to veterans groups, volunteering, hiring veterans, etc.? Don't forget in 10-20 years when the medical care for veterans reaches staggering amounts, to support continued government funding for their care.

Actions count far more than words.

This is nice, but speaking as an army veteran, married to a 30 year army veteran, and the mother of a 24 year old Air Force airman buried in a military cemetery, it would be great if instead of thanking veterans for their service, having sober thoughts or taking pretty pictures, people would take real action to honor veterans. How about contributing to organizations which help military families, contributing to veterans groups, volunteering, hiring veterans, etc.? Don't forget in 10-20 years when the medical care for veterans reaches staggering amounts, to support continued government funding for their care.

Actions count far more than words.

Yes, and I found your words more touching than any picture, pretty as the flower was. You're correct. After reading your post grandma, I made a donation to the Wounded Warriors Project. Anyone who can afford to cruise should make a donation today.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org

This was a favorite organization of my MIL, who herself was a proud Navy veteran.

A good article today titled, "Thanks for Your Service" is not enough:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/24/opinion/junger-mcdermott-marlantes-veterans-suicide-memorial-day/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Edited by 6rugrats

Just so you two 'critique' experts know, Tiki served during Vietnam. My draft number was 11, so I enlisted in the Navy, than after the Navy I enlisted in the Army. I was visiting my stepfathers grave while taking the picture, he served in Korea. I thought it was a nice touch to incorporate a photo challenge into something much more than a humorist 'forced perspective' that so many others will do on this challenge. The rose is not the subject, look again at the description ;)

Very sad when someone places up a picture to remind people of this weekend that some need to find some fault in sharing the 'picture', very sad. Take it for what it is, a reminder of the importance of this weekend. BTW, Memorial Day is about the deceased vets, primarily about those you gave their lives in action, Veterans Day is about the rest of us who served, dead or alive ;)

I saw no better way to embrace the meaning of today than viewing fellow soldiers lay out a picnic next to a grave site of a fallen friend, or loved ones visiting the grave site of a deceased relative, or a picture of thousand tiny flags of deceased vets.

Thank you for your sacrifice of relatives, alive and deceased, and yes you mentioned important things to do for our vets ......... but don't shoot the messenger of the actual meaning of today ....

Edited by Tikiintahiti

...this picture was taken today at the Riverside National Cemetery, my step father is buried there, a good man. I got on my belly next to a grave site and focused on a red rose someone had left, I was within 2 feet of the rose to make it 'BIG'. I used manual settings, focused manually, I hardly could keep from weeping, sobering.

Thanks Tiki for the moving image and for helping us all to remember what this weekend is really about.

My 9 year old son was at Riverside National at 7am on Saturday placing many of these flags with his Cub Scout troop.

Most importantly, THANK YOU Tiki for your service.

Edited by MotuIslander

Thanks Tiki for the moving image and for helping us all to remember what this weekend is really about.

My 9 year old son was at Riverside National at 7am on Saturday placing many of these flags with his Cub Scout troop.

Most importantly, THANK YOU Tiki for your service.

What a great thing for your son to experience. It truly is a moving experience, it makes you think what things are really important in life, and what sacrifice truly is. It's the things like this that will mold him, he will remember this the rest of his life and I wouldn't be surprised if he encouraged his son someday to do the same thing.

I often pickup the check for soldiers at restaurants. When my kids were young they would watch what I did, then they would ask why I did it. It gave me the opportunity to share life lessons with my children as they grew up. Once they were on to what I was doing they would peek quickly around a restaurant when we entered, they wanted to help pick out the soldier to receive the blessing. Truly something that touched my heart.

BTW, when we left Riverside National Cemetery yesterday my BH ask, "how do you think they get all those tiny flags out on thousands of grave sites? I said I bet they bring in service groups as they need a huge group who can do it quickly .......

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Bless them. My boys did that many times with their Boy Scout Troop.

Incidentally, my son is an active duty Army, Afghan vet, so thanks for posting a picture that while it reminds us of those who have paid the ultimate price, it reminds us as well to be grateful to those who are serving and have served.

Yes, and I found your words more touching than any picture, pretty as the flower was. You're correct. After reading your post grandma, I made a donation to the Wounded Warriors Project. Anyone who can afford to cruise should make a donation today.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org

[/url]

I don't mean to rain on your parade. The wounded warrior project is nothing more than a scam. Your money would have been better used with a local veterans group.

Edited by Icecat