Gandeur of the Seas time change Bermuda

I assume on the Grandeur sailings to Bermuda we move the clocks ahead one hour? Do you know which night they do this?

On our July Grandeur Bermuda sailing last summer the ship clocks were changed one hour forward at 3:00 AM day 2 (Saturday AM) and were reset one hour back at 3:00 AM day 7 (Thursday AM).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I just watched it dock. I wonder if the Grandeur would be able to fit through the cut into St. Georges & Hamilton. She looks to be so much smaller than most ships who come to Bermuda.

I am fairly certain she couldn't make it. Veendam was the last mass-market line ship to go to either. She is almost 200' shorter, five feet less beam, draws a foot less in the water, and gross tonnage is 55,451 vs Grandeur at 74,000. And Veendam had to stop going into St. Georges after a recent refit that changed the way she sat in the water. I recall reading that model attempts showed her scraping the rock about 20% of the time. The problem with St. Georges, as I understand it, is that the harbor is a closed water area and there's not enough room for water to escape past the ship when it goes through the cut, causing increased turbulence.

The Bermuda government regularly conducts research on the pros and cons of increasing port capacity - you can see a 2006 report here. There are other reports that are more recent but I can't find those today. We'd love to dock in St. Georges and not have to take the ferry but I'm afraid that the changes might change the "feel" of that harbor. Guess we'll have to wait to hit the lottery so we can take a small luxury ship. :)

j

We sailed May 9 to Bermuda, and advanced the clock on the first night, Friday. We turned the clock back on day 6, Wed (first full return sea day). I was told that this is by the choice of the captain.