Money questions. Currency exchange, credit cards, etc.

lbeck

First, let me compliment this forum. Lots of useful information. My questions are mostly general in nature and may be thoroughly explained in a sticky note or or another thread. You can redirect me if needed.

I've traveled to Europe a few times before but prior to the Euro. Also, things change over the years and this is my first cruise in Europe (12 day British Isles - leaving for London this Friday).

Where is the best place to exchange my dollars to pounds, given that my transportation options are limited. In other words, ** bank on 15th street won't help me. I know that the airport (here or there) or on-board the Ruby Princess is convenient but likely not the best rates, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll be touring London for a couple of days in the Southampton area prior to the cruise so something in that area may be accessible.

Next, is it better to use credit cards or ATM cards to purchase items or to get money? I know that CC is generally not good for getting cash, but does the bank where the CC is issued generally give you the best rate when you are billed back in the USA? I have American Express and a Wells Fargo ATM card that can also be used as a Visa CC. Also, I recall that it's best to contact your CC/ATM supplier prior to leaving so that your card will not be blocked due to suspicious activity if you do not forewarn them that you'll be traveling overseas. Also that you may want to increase or decrease your limit. One friend told a horror story about traveling overseas and his CC was blocked on the first day because his limit on cash was $500 and he tried to withdraw more than that.

Finally, since this cruise has stops in Scotland, Ireland, and a brief time in France, should I get some local currency, or will my British pounds / US Dollars work everywhere without a large exchange fee?

Any other money answers/questions that I should know but haven't asked will be helpful.

Thanks.

We get Euros, Pounds and other currencies at ATMs in the appropriate country. If you have a no fee ATM card, that works best. If your card has a fee for foreign ATM transactions try to make fewer, larger withdrawals.

Pounds will work in the UK, and Euros in Ireland and France. Dollars will no be accepted except at currency exchanges and they tend to be quite expensive.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can do a couple...

Where is the best place to exchange my dollars to pounds, given that my transportation options are limited. In other words, ** bank on 15th street won't help me. I know that the airport (here or there) or on-board the Ruby Princess is convenient but likely not the best rates, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll be touring London for a couple of days in the Southampton area prior to the cruise so something in that area may be accessible.

If you're in London or Southampton (or any other UK port for that matter) an easy option is to find your nearest post office. The rate is not the best, but it's usually fair - however they don't charge commission on US Dollars which can save you quite a bit. Not too hard to find a branch - Southampton has in the main pedestrian high street area in the W.H Smiths store. You should be able to find them fairly easily in London or any town.

Finally, since this cruise has stops in Scotland, Ireland, and a brief time in France, should I get some local currency, or will my British pounds / US Dollars work everywhere without a large exchange fee?

Local, definitely. Pounds for the UK (which includes Scotland and Northern Ireland), Euros for France and Ireland. Be careful with the notes you may get in Scotland and Guernsey - although they are still pounds they may not be accepted in some places elsewhere in the UK.

Hi There

Guernsey and Northern Ireland pounds will not be taken in shops in the UK main land Scottish notes are fine through out UK.

Exchange dollars in the UK at any high street bank large post office some bigger travel agents like Thomas cook Thomson etc very good rates can be had at marks and Spencer stores.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi Ship fish

The problem for the shop is that they have to be accounted for separately when cash is banked so smaller shops often do not want the hassle

Offer to pay when shop says it does not want your Scottish money offer again confirm you have offered to pay then thank the shop for giving you the goods free.

They will quickly be pleased to accept your money.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

You're correct that onboard ship is not the best place to obtain or exchange currency as the exchange rates are terrible.

I suggest you use your debit card at your arrival airport to obtain currency. ATMs will always give you the best rate of exchange. Always use a debit card for obtaining cash from an ATM. Cash obtained with a credit card will be considered a cash advance and will incur a high rate of interest until you pay your bill.

Be sure to notify your debit and credit card companies of your travels in advance. VISA and Mastercard are the best cards to bring with you...American Express the least useable.

If you plan to visit Europe again, say, next year, save some of your €s and £s to use in the future. No need to take a second exchange rate hit if you don't have to.

Enjoy your trip...

Lew