POA- 5/17-5/24 review

lostone65

Since Glen lived on Oahu in the 80's and visited it many more times up until 2005 when he retired from the Navy we had the advantage of him as our tour guide. We rented a car and drove all over the island. The weather was beautiful! The major downfall to the island is there are way too many people there! Yikes :eek: the traffic is horrific!! It takes an hour to go 16 miles!

This was the trip of a lifetime for me. I've been many places around the world and Hawaii has always been just out of reach. I can now say I've been there, and I can say it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. The beauty of the Caribbean has nothing on Hawaii!

DSCF0064_zpsf3df81bf.jpg

Sail away, sorry it's a little blurry

We have not decided how we are getting to the pier. It does not sound like a big shuttle like Roberts will work for us as we're not sure when we'll be ready. Sounds like Tammy's $20 taxi is our best bet.

What hotel are you staying at pre cruise? Most taxi's are standing by at the hotels and are ready when you are. No need to pre arrange. Plus to me a taxi is so much more convenient. The only downside is that the price can fluctuate depending on traffic.

Beautiful pictures! Where were the mountain views of "East Side" Oahu taken? I HAVE to go there!

They are taken at the Pali lookout! It was amazing! We did the east side Saturday morning. Left the hotel about 9am and we were back about 1:30.

IMG_20140517_174339_zpskgojeshe.jpg

glen and I

IMG954297_zpsrnlsbijr.jpg

My Dad and Step Mother

Both pictures taken in the Gold Rush Saloon on deck 11. The only place you can get beer on tap. It also has a digital juke box that you can play for free! Also the place of the popcorn you can smell all over the ship.

Edited by lostone65

I love the Hale Koa. I have stayed there a number of times. It is lovely, and you are right, everything you need is there.

My son graduates from UH Hilo next May and we are planning on staying at the Hale Koa a couple of days before and after we go to the Big Island. I love that they have an exchange on property!

What hotel are you staying at pre cruise? Most taxi's are standing by at the hotels and are ready when you are. No need to pre arrange. Plus to me a taxi is so much more convenient. The only downside is that the price can fluctuate depending on traffic.

We are at the Hilton Hawaiian Village pre cruise. I think it is not far from the hotel you stayed at. We thought a private shuttle might be cheaper, but sometimes pure convenience wins out over price and $20 for a cab is very reasonable.

We'll be in Oahu 6 nights after the cruise so we will put Pali Lookout on our list of places to see!

We are at the Hilton Hawaiian Village pre cruise. I think it is not far from the hotel you stayed at. We thought a private shuttle might be cheaper, but sometimes pure convenience wins out over price and $20 for a cab is very reasonable.

We'll be in Oahu 6 nights after the cruise so we will put Pali Lookout on our list of places to see!

Hilton Hawaiian village is right next to the Hale Koa.

You will have plenty of time to see the entire island!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I was on the 5/10/14 sailing and there was no traditional stand-up comedian. The magician was Charles Bach and he was only on the first and last nights. Toby Beau did some tributes which were very good. Jimmy Buffet, the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle and the Eagles. Oops! just was looking at the dailies and the magician was also on the 2nd night at 10pm. There was an Abba tribute at one of the bars. But nothing compared to the Four Seasons "Oh what a night" on Wednesday and in a variety show on Friday.

I was on the 5/10/14 sailing and there was no traditional stand-up comedian. The magician was Charles Bach and he was only on the first and last nights. Toby Beau did some tributes which were very good. Jimmy Buffet, the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle and the Eagles. Oops! just was looking at the dailies and the magician was also on the 2nd night at 10pm. There was an Abba tribute at one of the bars. But nothing compared to the Four Seasons "Oh what a night" on Wednesday and in a variety show on Friday.

Charles Bach was the comedian on our cruise also. Oh What a Night was fantastic! We really enjoyed them! The Eagles tribute with Tony Beau was very good!

We loved Maui! The island was beautiful with mountains, lava rock, cactus and of course the beautiful ocean. We discovered Maui winery in up country and I bought a couple of bottles of the champagne. Watched an old fashioned cattle drive with men on horseback complete with herding dogs. We attended the Old Laihaina luau and it was fantastic! If you are looking for luau's with the fire dancers this is not it. This is a traditional Hawaiian luau. The food was better than expected and the service was exceptional!

DSCF0095_zps0ee4d306.jpg

DSCF0096_zps750267fb.jpg

On Hilo our son and his girlfriend picked us up as they live there and toured us around the island. It was amazing to see them and spend 2 days with them! We went to volcanoes national park, black sand beach where there were green sea turtles resting and south point, the southern most point in the United States.

DSCF0110_zps33e6a8f2.jpg

DSCF0112_zps6a0bfea2.jpg

DSCF0119_zpsb2af0a9c.jpg

My son dropped us off at the ship and we sailed overnight to Kona. Had a nice dinner in Teppanyahki, it was very good and the service was great!

My son and his girlfriend drove over from Hilo and picked us up at 9am. They took us to a great snorkeling spot called 2 step. Named because you have to go down 2 lava rock "steps" to get into the water. The best snorkeling I have ever done. The visibility was at least 100 yards, crystal clear water. I could have stayed there for hours. After snorkeling we we to a few other beaches before they had to take us back to the ship and we had to say goodbye.

20140521_093456_zpskw77euea.jpg

DSCF0136_zpsca7070ab.jpg

The final stop on the cruise was a day and half on the island of Kauai. What a beautiful place! It is one of the oldest of the Hawaiian islands and was very lush. Less lava rock and more mature vegetation. We loved it here! All the islands have wild chickens but this island they are all over the place! The first day was beautiful and our last half day it rained, poured actually and we didn't leave the ship. We had an early sailing (2pm) so we just enjoyed doing nothing.

20140522_095753_zps367mhxws.jpg

20140522_103914_zpsnuu156an.jpg

20140522_104116_zpswpck6iv7.jpg