cruising solo - what do I need to know?

Tortoiselvr

I've just happened upon a great deal for a cruise leaving in 5 days - and I've traveled alone before (but not actually "vacationed" alone - I fly places, do some touristy things on my own and meet up with people I know).

I'm pretty sure at this late date, I won't be able to find anyone to go with me -

so, if I do it solo - what do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

Locate your roll call on these boards and on various other platforms. If there is no solo supplement on that cruise there will likely be other solos going as well.

Locate your roll call on these boards and on various other platforms. If there is no solo supplement on that cruise there will likely be other solos going as well.

I would have to agree, find your roll call. Sometimes the roll call group will have activities that they do together, from meet and greets to group excersions. I have met some good cruise friends through the roll calls!

As for the ports, be careful where you go alone. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are not bad if you stay in the port area. We really loved Royal Palms Resort in Grand Cayman, and Paradise Beach in Cozumel. In Mo' Bay, I wouldn't leave unless your doing a carnival excersion. Not the nicest port...

Have fun!

If you opted for "traditional dining", you'll probably be seated at a BIG table, with other solo cruisers. With any luck, you'll find some folks there that have similar interests, and perhaps you'll be comfortable doing some activities, both ashore, and on the ship, with those people. I sail SOLO fairly often, and more often than not, dinner with my "new best friends" is the highlight of the cruise day. I've met some fantastic people at the dinner table, aboard Carnival Fun Ships.

"SKY"

When you go to a lounge, be sure to sit at the bar and sit next to someone, not next to an empty seat. Usually very easy to strike up a conversation there. Also, do the same thing on deck, whether standing at the railing or sitting in a deck chair.

Most people enjoy conversations with fellow cruisers. And, if they don't, you will get that message very quickly. If so, move on: there are others around.

At Montego Bay, do not go out anywhere on your own. Do NOT depend up taxi drivers who say they will take you to place A and then return to place A to pick-you up at a certain time. When I am on a cruise that stops at Jamaica anymore, I don't get off the ship. And, that is too bad because it is a beautiful, lush island.

I'm doing that cruise in September. From everyone's post I assume you

are a female. Just be careful and always look around you to see who and

what is near your space. I would suggest no taxis and keep to well peopled

areas if you are by yourself. I'm a pretty hefty guy and I'm constantly keeping

a close watch on things. Keep valuables in your front pocket.

If you don't feel in any way comfortable with anything or anybody than

listen to your instincts. Ladies are naturally great at that sort of thing.

I've cruised solo three times and I absolutely love it. The whole time it's just me,

a good book and some primo nappin. Now that's high cotton. I'm going on the

same cruise in September. I'm not sure the rules here but I'm curious what the

deal what you got.

Edited by jtwanabe

I've just happened upon a great deal for a cruise leaving in 5 days - and I've traveled alone before (but not actually "vacationed" alone - I fly places, do some touristy things on my own and meet up with people I know).

I'm pretty sure at this late date, I won't be able to find anyone to go with me -

so, if I do it solo - what do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

There really isn't anything important to tell you. Just go and relax and have fun.

The only tip I can think of is if you have early or late dining seating, you will likely be at a larger table with other solos. If you choose ATD, you will likely be seated by yourself at a small table for 2. So choose dining according your preference with that (although at this late date, you may have to take whatever is left open).

Have a great solo cruise!

As a solo, it is actually easy to find an empty lounge chair because there are usually random single loungers available. Getting a lounger on the adult Serenity deck is what I do and I usually get into nice conversations with fellow passengers.

I do Your Time Dining and enjoy talking with different fellow passengers every night. I usually get invited to join other groups or other solos at the bars and shows.

Going as solo, I have never felt lonely. There is always something fun to do and the fellow passengers are always friendly and inviting.

Enjoy your solo cruise and the great solo deal you received.

For your sailing , even if your friend can go, I would probably still get two solo cabins. When I priced it out, it was the same for two cabins of one as for one double occupancy. Still have some of your own soave that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just came back from a 5 day solo cruise on the Carnival Paradise out of Tampa. I found both Grand Cayman and Cozumel to be safe for a walking tour of the ports as a solo. Many shops, restaurants and bars close to the piers. Enjoy.:cool:

Be prepared to LOVE YOUR OWN CABIN!!! :D And once you have a solo cabin it's hard to share afterwards.

I agree with this. My last 9 cruises I have had my room to myself. My next planned cruise I am taking 2 of my nephews and a friend of thiers. I am dreading having 4 in a room.

I am a smoker, so I hang out at smoking bars. It is always crowded so have plenty of chances to strike up conversations. I have met so wonderful people. Even people I have arranged future cruises with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I just recently took a solo cruise in March, had a great time. When traveling with a friend I like anytime dining but since I was alone having the same dinner companions was comforting. If you feel unsure about the ports take ship arranged excursions. I totally agree with the other posters, you will LOVE having a cabin all to yourself. The key is to feel comfortable at whatever you choose to do. I'm sure you will have a great time, enjoy.

I've cruised many times solo and love it. As others have mentioned, I am usually seated at a very large table for dinner that usually has a few other singles as well as friends traveling together as well as a couple or two. If your ship has a piano bar and you like music, that is a great place to have fun and meet other people. On my last cruise in April, I met a group of 5 ladies traveling together in the piano bar and we ended up doing a lot of things together throughout the cruise. While traveling with friends is fun, too, there's nothing like being in total control of your time. Some days I'm busy, some days I am chillin. Participating in trivia contests is another great way to meet people. I am usually invited to join a team, but if I'm not, no biggie. Regarding safety, other than Cayman, I would NEVER get into a taxi alone in your other ports of call. In fact, last time I was in Cozumel (April of this year), I asked one of the Mexican police officers stationed at the gate where you enter Cozumel if it was safe for me to take a taxi to tour the island and he did not hesitate to tell me NO, not alone. Doing excursions thru the cruise line would be your safest bet. I hope you decide to go solo and know you will have a fabulous time!

A couple of thoughts about dining room seating for solos ...

I happen to prefer an assigned seating for dinner, especially if the other folks at the table turn out to be interesting and simpatico. If not, ask the maitre d' for a different table assignment ... right away. There's no need to suffer! (This has only happened to me once or twice. I felt awkward about abandoning my first assignment until I realized that they probably disliked me as much as I disliked them!)

Hint: Don't do this on the first night when they're crazy busy ... do it sometime during the second day to arrange seating for the second night.

There's no need to accept being seated alone at a table for two ... when it's been necessary to do the anytime-dining routine, I show up at the maitre d's desk and say "I'd like to sit with others." Usually no problem. If the maitre d' is uncooperative (the standard brush-off line is "I don't have anything available at the moment") ... the perfect response is "OK, I'll wait until you do." Friendly but firm almost always works.

In the lido / buffet ... if things are a bit crowded, it's a great time to ask if you can join a partially-occupied table. "Is that seat taken?" works just fine. If it is, they'll tell you; if it's not (but they don't want company), they have a face-saving way out!

Elsewhere on board, the following routine nearly always works: [Comment on the current situation ... such as "The ocean is so beautiful today, isn't it?" or "I'm looking forward to this show"] If you get a friendly response, the next line "Where are you from?" almost always leads to a rewarding conversation.

As somebody says elsewhere in this thread, you're likely to get invitations to join other tables, meet for a drink in the bar, share an onshore excursion, etc. etc.

Have fun!

I've done six solo cruises this year, two with friends in other cabins. As long as Carnival continues to offer the no single supplement fares I will continue to enjoy the bliss of my own cabin, my own bathroom and my own kingsize bed!

Late dining offers the best chance of sitting with other solos. Since you're all solo travelers you start out with something in common (independence, sense of adventure, steely eye for bargains) and are likely to make some real friendships. Ganging up together for shore excursions is safer and more fun as well!

Short version: there is NO downside to going solo. Enjoy!