Single Supplement Reduction

Keuka Lake Sailor

On the US side of the pond, most one way trans atlantics for the rest of the year, have been reduced pp. This weekend, Cunard reduced the single supplement fare to an average of 20 to 30%, sometimes with obc and other incentives, on the opening price of insides. Discount varies with other grades. This deal was suppose to expire on the 27th, but is still there this morning with no mention of when the deal expires. My experience is that it will be pulled when Cunard reaches a certain level of bookings and is usually available for a very short time. My experience is also that once you are aware of a "deal" your travel agent or direct with Cunard will give it to you. I booked two sailings with my travel agent yesterday. Also used Cunard Air for one way flight from JFK to Heathrow for just under $340 for 11/12 sailing. Air fare not available yet for 5/3/15 sailing.

• 8 months later...
On the US side of the pond, most one way trans atlantics for the rest of the year, have been reduced pp. This weekend, Cunard reduced the single supplement fare to an average of 20 to 30%, sometimes with obc and other incentives, on the opening price of insides. Discount varies with other grades. This deal was suppose to expire on the 27th, but is still there this morning with no mention of when the deal expires. My experience is that it will be pulled when Cunard reaches a certain level of bookings and is usually available for a very short time. My experience is also that once you are aware of a "deal" your travel agent or direct with Cunard will give it to you. I booked two sailings with my travel agent yesterday. Also used Cunard Air for one way flight from JFK to Heathrow for just under $340 for 11/12 sailing. Air fare not available yet for 5/3/15 sailing.

Hi Keuka Lake Sailor. Can I ask you if dropping the single supplement by any cruise line is a regular thing in the US? (Am assuming that you're from the US so forgive me if I've made a mistake.) I'm gradually becoming aware of the fact that we don't seem to get such good deals on the European side of the pond and I've rarely ever seen single supplements being dropped. Would appreciate your reply.

Yes, it appears most cruise lines stateside do reduce single supplements when a particular sailing is hurting for bookings. The exception may be Disney. I only sail Cunard. A few years back a fellow passenger clued me in where to find a listing of single supplement reductions - I have no idea whether this website is in Europe. I just looked at it and there are a lot of deals out there for many cruise lines. On the 5/3 sailing (from London), the 8/29 sailing (from Athens) and the 9/26 sailing (from Venice) there is NO single supplement on the QV on insides and oceanviews. On the 6/16 QE sailing (from London), its the same deal. There are also quite a few more offereings for these two ships, could not see anything offered right now for the QM2. Most of the deals on this site show a single supplement ranging from 10% to 50%. Hopefully, someone on your side of the pond can give you an idea of single supplement reductions over there.......This website was also good in the past for showing discounts on regular fares not shown on Cunard's site but lately it appears that many times Cunard does post the fare reduction on their own site. Policies are constantly evolving.........................

I looked again and the 5/3 7 day sailing of the QV (London to London) is still up on the US side - priced at $2303 pp dbl occ or as a single, inside cabin. Of course, the deals disappear very quickly. The 9/26 QV sailing is priced at $3389 pp dbl occ or as a single,inside cabin, with $175 reduced deposit and a small amount of obc. I am now wondering how that price compares with pricing over there. I have seen Cunard offer free parking and flights included in the pricing which I have not seen over here, although I have received reduced air fare as part of an email deal. No doubt, Cunard charges what the market will bear in each market........... I am also so thankful that we do not have the same "no deposit refund" on this side of the pond to endure.(at lease until the 90 day lock in period)...........................

• 4 months later...

I understand the there are a few single cabins on all three ships but could not find them on the Cunard site. Have not traveled Cunard before, just princess. Getting tired of the lack of a dress code on Princess and might like to try Cunard

I just called Cunard to see if there was any change to the pricing for my solo crossing on 11/25 and they had no idea what I was talking about - they were not aware of any solo supplement reductions for any stateside sailing :confused:

Edited by Winchester Ranger

I have not seen any single supplement reductions for Cunard so far this year. One well known discount web site show several QE and QV sailings with "NO SUPPLEMENT" on inside cabins but the pricing is close to the typical 175% single supplement. I spoke to two different people about this flagrant false advertising but got nowhere which I guess I should have expected. Its hard to believe anyone at all knowledgeable about pricing would fall for this deceit but they must be, site continues to advertise several sailings in this manner..... as far a I can see, the best a single can do at the moment is book on a sailing that is heavily discounted - some transatlantics stateside start at $699 and that price would be doubled. ............guess one must assume that bookings must be good at Cunard at the moment and they do need to attract solo passengers to help fill the ships.......................

Hey , Sandra Smudger, I think you are might be right about that! Forgot all about those few single cabins on the QE and QV. Truly feel much better about that web site now and explains the "No Supplement" claim. Thanks. Much Appreciated!.........and you are right, they are way too expensive for what they are.......................